Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Harris

Boston Bruins: 2011-2012

I originally thought it was a dirty hit, but after seeing it in slow motion and the angle at which Ference shoved McDonagh -- plus the direction Ference was looking -- I don't think he was intending to board him. However, Ference had way too much speed and should have held up on his hit.

I don't think his intent was to hit him like he did, however you simply can't do that to someone in a vulnerable position. I say 3 games.

his intent was to hit the defenseman, regardless of the danger involved in the hit and that's exactly what he did. While he wasn't directly behind him, the force was straight through and not from the side at all.

You should probably look at who else is in the top 5 in most penalty categories, eh?

Adding up Minor Penalties and Fighting Majors is not the same as Game Misconducts given to players for injuring. The only thing even close to dirty on the Rangers was Andre Deveux's attempt to injure against Florida. He was suspended and immediately sent back to Hartford upon completing his suspension. That sends a message to the rest of the team that garbage play like that will not be tolerated on the Rangers. Too bad the Bruins coaching staff, their fans and their broadcasters JUSTIFY dirty play.

Adding up Minor Penalties and Fighting Majors is not the same as Game Misconducts given to players for injuring. The only thing even close to dirty on the Rangers was Andre Deveux's attempt to injure against Florida. He was suspended and immediately sent back to Hartford upon completing his suspension. That sends a message to the rest of the team that garbage play like that will not be tolerated on the Rangers. Too bad the Bruins coaching staff, their fans and their broadcasters JUSTIFY dirty play.

Two game misconducts and a match penalty puts the Rangers right in behind the Bruins. You should probably watch more Bruins games and not rely on what you read on the internet.

Two game misconducts and a match penalty puts the Rangers right in behind the Bruins. You should probably watch more Bruins games and not rely on what you read on the internet.

Do I need to watch an entire Bruins game to know that Brad Marchand is a dirtbag with a history of injuring other players? Don't think so. Either way, I'm looking forward to watching the Rangers play the Bruins again.

Do I need to watch an entire Bruins game to know that Brad Marchand is a dirtbag with a history of injuring other players? Don't think so. Either way, I'm looking forward to watching the Rangers play the Bruins again.

Yeah, don't let actual facts get in the way of your Rangers colored glasses. ;) Wasn't Sean Avery an agitator, just like Marchand?

Don't worry, I'll be at all three of their remaining games.

No effort to play the puck. Suspension needed.

And what percentage of checks are made to play the puck? 15%? 25%? 50%?

While I stated that Ference did not appear to intend to board McDonagh, I felt that he should have held up on the hit because he should have quickly accessed that his speed was going to be too great to be able to make that hit safely. However, stating that not trying to play the puck is a reason for a suspension seems to ignore that the majority of checks appear to be more attempts to dislodge a puck carrier from the puck -- and hoping one's teammate gets the puck -- than they are attempts of the hitter trying to win the puck.

On a different topic, more towards the B's and Flyer fans, the Flyers played much better than I was expecting, especially considering all the injuries they've sustained; they appeared to have more energy after the back-to-back games than the B's did.

I have a question, however, that may appear facetious, but I'm quite sincere. One thing that stood out to me watching this game more than any other in recent years were the number of questionable hits by the Flyers. There were at least three hits that were thisclose to being late or targeting high, and all of which seemed intent on stunning the opposition player, if not hurt him. Because I believe three different players made these hits, it came across as almost an organizational philosophy to push the envelope. What I'm curious about from those who watch the Flyers more regularly is was today's game just an aberration because of bad blood from the past, or is this the way the Flyers have typically played this season? Because, as crazy as this sounds, it made me seriously wonder whether opponent players have been hitting high against Flyer players -- leading to all their head injuries -- in retaliation for high hits from Flyer players. For instance, yesterday's hit against Briere seemed quite reckless by Volchenkov, but I'm curious whether the Flyers are playing so close to the edge that other teams are retaliating with bad hits of their own.

Of course, it could be that the Flyers are feeling more like the victims and that today's hits were retaliation against yesterday's hit.

Marchand has a history of injuring other players, eh? Let's see the list. I'll start it for you, Sami Salo. Ok, now you fill in the rest.

Marchand has a history of injuring other players, eh? Let's see the list. I'll start it for you, Sami Salo. Ok, now you fill in the rest.

Like I said, he shouldn't let facts get in his way of what he's read in blogs on the internet.

And what percentage of checks are made to play the puck? 15%? 25%? 50%?

While I stated that Ference did not appear to intend to board McDonagh, I felt that he should have held up on the hit because he should have quickly accessed that his speed was going to be too great to be able to make that hit safely. However, stating that not trying to play the puck is a reason for a suspension seems to ignore that the majority of checks appear to be more attempts to dislodge a puck carrier from the puck -- and hoping one's teammate gets the puck -- than they are attempts of the hitter trying to win the puck.

On a different topic, more towards the B's and Flyer fans, the Flyers played much better than I was expecting, especially considering all the injuries they've sustained; they appeared to have more energy after the back-to-back games than the B's did.

I have a question, however, that may appear facetious, but I'm quite sincere. One thing that stood out to me watching this game more than any other in recent years were the number of questionable hits by the Flyers. There were at least three hits that were thisclose to being late or targeting high, and all of which seemed intent on stunning the opposition player, if not hurt him. Because I believe three different players made these hits, it came across as almost an organizational philosophy to push the envelope. What I'm curious about from those who watch the Flyers more regularly is was today's game just an aberration because of bad blood from the past, or is this the way the Flyers have typically played this season? Because, as crazy as this sounds, it made me seriously wonder whether opponent players have been hitting high against Flyer players -- leading to all their head injuries -- in retaliation for high hits from Flyer players. For instance, yesterday's hit against Briere seemed quite reckless by Volchenkov, but I'm curious whether the Flyers are playing so close to the edge that other teams are retaliating with bad hits of their own.

Of course, it could be that the Flyers are feeling more like the victims and that today's hits were retaliation against yesterday's hit.

while his intent may not have been to board the defenseman, he did everything he could to get behind him and deliver a check from behind. Boarding is a likely outcome from a hit like that.

As for the Flyers, hitting begets hitting. Like a number of other teams, they routinely finish hits high, hard and late. Coincidentally, the Bruins also have a number of players that do the same thing.

Please enough of your crying in the Bruins thread.

Tim Thomas is causing a shit storm for not visiting the White House with the Bruins for the usual meet and greet with the President. SI is stating his political views as the reason.

It's amazing to watch the Twitterati with their huge hate-on for him for doing it.

Another reason I don't bother with Twitter. I have no interest in other people's random thoughts, unless they're Jack Handy's because, dammit, those were funny.

I'll wait to hear his PR release. If it is because of political reasons, then shame on him. And I've said the same thing about other American atheletes who've skipped in the past for political reasons (regardless of which side was in the white house).

Not sure why Prust didn't get the same as Ference. Clearly hit him in the numbers.

Chadd?

Another reason I don't bother with Twitter. I have no interest in other people's random thoughts, unless they're Jack Handy's because, dammit, those were funny.

Definite downside of it. I generally use if for news updates but when I searched "tim thomas" looking for details I got comments from every single person who mentioned him. Like I care what @15yearoldwithaniPhone thinks. Literally hundreds of tweets per hour. Crazy

I'll wait to hear his PR release. If it is because of political reasons, then shame on him. And I've said the same thing about other American atheletes who've skipped in the past for political reasons (regardless of which side was in the white house).

Why would that not be a valid reason? It was an optional team event, and Thomas obviously felt strongly that attending and glad handing the POTUS wasn't his cup of tea. Good on him for making a statement.