Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

noupf

What are some preferred curves for defensemen ?

Just wondering what curves you defenseman like you use. I'm looking to changes curves as I've switched from foward to defense.

Thanks

When I drop back to D, I prefer a curve that is a little less open. It makes it easier to keep shots down. It's all personal preference, but I like the p88.

I personally find the P106 and variants very helpful both when I want to shoot high and keep a nice low shot with minimal follow through.

When I drop back to D, I prefer a curve that is a little less open. It makes it easier to keep shots down. It's all personal preference, but I like the p88.

+1 on the P88...

P88 or a Harrow #5 (similar the to the P88 but a bit more closed)

Crap, I completely forgot about the Harrow #5. Very durrable blade. Been using them regularly for the past three years and have only broken one of them from taking a slash.

For me, I've always worried more about blade length and toe style than the actual curve. I prefer a long blade and square toe for D. I just find the square toe to be quite useful for playing pucks along the board. (Which seems to happen often on hard arounds in the offensive zone as well as when mixing it up down low in your own end.)

As has already been said, it's mostly personal preference. But, I tend to go for heel curves with a fairly open face. (I like the Lidstrom/Getlaf which is similar to a Drury, but with a square toe.) For me, I've always had an issue getting elevation on my slap shot. (I'm a somewhat upright skater... bad knees. So, I just don't get "under" the puck like many.) So, the wedge is a help to me whereas it may be a hindrance to others.

I have seen guys use tons of different curve for D. Popular ones would have to be the p106 and p02. Now personally I would want something that has a closed face so I keep my slapshots down so I might side with pm9 or p88 depending on what depth you like.

I've used all the above mentioned curves for the past few years, and the p106 has been my favorite out of them all. excellent power when it comes to slappers and forgiving enough so that you aren't killing guys in front. Also makes passing alot easier when you can get that bit of air under the puck comming out of the d-zone, lots o' sauce

I interchange alot between forward and defense for my team. I generally use a sakic/naslund playing forward, and prefer the same for Defense...I have used a lidstrom and a forsberg as well and didnt really mind it. I did find that I hard time keeping slappers down with the lidstrom initially.

I use heel curves almost exclusively and prefer wedges to anything else. Not having a deep curve makes it much easier to pass and shoot on the backhand.

For me, I've always worried more about blade length and toe style than the actual curve. I prefer a long blade and square toe for D. I just find the square toe to be quite useful for playing pucks along the board. (Which seems to happen often on hard arounds in the offensive zone as well as when mixing it up down low in your own end.)

As has already been said, it's mostly personal preference. But, I tend to go for heel curves with a fairly open face. (I like the Lidstrom/Getlaf which is similar to a Drury, but with a square toe.) For me, I've always had an issue getting elevation on my slap shot. (I'm a somewhat upright skater... bad knees. So, I just don't get "under" the puck like many.) So, the wedge is a help to me whereas it may be a hindrance to others.

You really don't want much elevation on the slap shot most of the time.

For me I like the P106. I normally play D and I tried switching to the P92 when i played offense, but I really struggle when switching between the 2. So now I am sticking mostly with my P106.

I use a Kreps (Ovi Clone) it's a little more than a sakic and I like it for shooting from the toe. I usually get it right in the pocket and snap the puck, and if you want it to go low follow through low if not just shot normally. It's also extremely good for chips off the glass and high flips.

I've used PM9, P88, P92, Getzlaf, Drury, Kovalev, Vanek, mostly interchangeably on the point for the past 3 years. It's really about finding what works for you and sticking with it.

I have used them all. From mild curves like the Vanek to deep toes like Spezza Pro stocks...

I have found that curves like the Drury and P106 give me a rather mid-height shot and keeps the puck rather flat.

Its all personal preference.