Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

I've just had my Mako 1's replaced under warranty. For the first few months they were awesome, replacing my NXG's, it felt like the difference between a tin can of the NXG and soft gloves of the Mako 1. However, within a few months, both ankle padding (on the inside ankle) started to degrade and my bones started rubbing on the hard shell (so instead of shell, gel, liner it was just shell then liner). This caused bone growth and huge pain after skating. I was also getting consistent mako bumps on my ankle and severe lace bite on my left foot (causing quite a bit of swelling and a lot of tenderness).

I contacted Easton directly, showed them photos and explained the problems I was experiencing. I received a short and unhelpful reply about trying to heat the areas with a heat gun, and that was it. I explained that I had done this, tried different footbeds, rebaking and pain was still occurring. I didn't receive a response.

So I called TheHockeyShop in Surrey, where I bought the skates, they told me to come and meet the local Easton Rep. Spoke with the guy and wow, extremely helpful. I was expecting them to try rebaking again, or at the very most replacing them with another set of 1's. They warrantied the skates and now in Mako 2s and it's a world of difference. More padding around the ankle and different liner. Thicker and 'fluffier' tongue together with a lace bit protector (piece of rubber) on the front of the tongue and I'm not getting the rubbing I usually get on the back of the ankle.

Took them out as soon as I got them and played 4 games, 2 each day, absolutely perfect, no pain, no rubbing, perfect fit. Played every other day since and all the pain has gone :-)

A huge thanks to TheHockeyShop.com and the Easton Rep for making me a happy customer - if not a customer with slightly larger inside ankle bones because of it! ;-)

• Like 2

Ahhh what's going to happen to the makos ?!

All Makos will be repossessed from consumers and replaced with the new company's skate. All stock from retailers will be repossessed as well and replaced.

The same thing happened when Bauer bought Cooper, Bauer had all of their skates repossessed from consumers and retailers and that's why you don't see Cooper skates anymore.

I've just had my Mako 1's replaced under warranty. For the first few months they were awesome, replacing my NXG's, it felt like the difference between a tin can of the NXG and soft gloves of the Mako 1. However, within a few months, both ankle padding (on the inside ankle) started to degrade and my bones started rubbing on the hard shell (so instead of shell, gel, liner it was just shell then liner). This caused bone growth and huge pain after skating. I was also getting consistent mako bumps on my ankle and severe lace bite on my left foot (causing quite a bit of swelling and a lot of tenderness).

I contacted Easton directly, showed them photos and explained the problems I was experiencing. I received a short and unhelpful reply about trying to heat the areas with a heat gun, and that was it. I explained that I had done this, tried different footbeds, rebaking and pain was still occurring. I didn't receive a response.

So I called TheHockeyShop in Surrey, where I bought the skates, they told me to come and meet the local Easton Rep. Spoke with the guy and wow, extremely helpful. I was expecting them to try rebaking again, or at the very most replacing them with another set of 1's. They warrantied the skates and now in Mako 2s and it's a world of difference. More padding around the ankle and different liner. Thicker and 'fluffier' tongue together with a lace bit protector (piece of rubber) on the front of the tongue and I'm not getting the rubbing I usually get on the back of the ankle.

Took them out as soon as I got them and played 4 games, 2 each day, absolutely perfect, no pain, no rubbing, perfect fit. Played every other day since and all the pain has gone :-)

A huge thanks to TheHockeyShop.com and the Easton Rep for making me a happy customer - if not a customer with slightly larger inside ankle bones because of it! ;-)

How is it that my mako 1's which I got well before they were released to the public, still fit as perfect as the day I got them? No problem with inside anke, foams, or padding, never an uncomfortable feeling, or bump. Is it possible they were not the skate for you?

How is it that my mako 1's which I got well before they were released to the public, still fit as perfect as the day I got them? No problem with inside anke, foams, or padding, never an uncomfortable feeling, or bump. Is it possible they were not the skate for you?

You got lucky :)

Let's be honest here; it was a problem that was acknowledged by Dave Cruikshank amongst others. Just like any other brand which has made a change to a skate component over the years.

It happened to some; not all, and they made changes to it so that it wouldn't happen again.

• Like 2

Easton seems to be plagued with durability issues when they come out with great fitting and performing skates (I guess most would agree on this) skates such as the s15, s17 and the mako. They did not improve much from the s15 to s17 but it looks like most issues are addressed with the mako 2, or I at least I hope for their sake. When they come out with great more 'traditional' skates which are amazing durability wise (EQ50, RS), people seem to ignore them.

Edited by icewalker_bg

I've been reading through this thread like crazy and been doing as much research as possible but one question still lingers. How is this skate fitting people with thin ankles and not super wide feet. I'm currently wearing total ones with felt sewn to the back of the tongue to clear up some volume issues but even tonight I could still feel my feet moving back and forth toward the top of the boot. I've tried x 7.0's, offering from reebok even graf (I didn't like the way the boot felt) I wear D width skates but realistically could probably get into a c width. I'm def going to try the skates on within the next 2 days but before I make the trip to a shop where I can have them fitted correctly (the shop closest to me has all kids working in there that give you the skates and walk away). I guess I'm just paranoid on dropping a chunk of money on a pair of skates and not being totally satisfied.

Have them bake the skates before trying them on, they must be baked to get a true idea of fit. If the shop will not do this, find another shop. They should fit you well, they mold extremely well will wrap narrow feet and ankles well.

Another option is that the Total One is available in a C width. TOs are built on a larger last, so the D width ones you're wearing are actually more like an E. If you like the TO, you could get the C width which should be a vast improvement if you have a narrow foot/ankle.

The closest shop is about 1.5 hrs away from me, last time I was there they didn't have anything C width. The shop that does all my work is amazing but doesn't carry easton stuff which kills me because the guys there really know what they are doing

The closest shop is about 1.5 hrs away from me, last time I was there they didn't have anything C width. The shop that does all my work is amazing but doesn't carry easton stuff which kills me because the guys there really know what they are doing

If you have the headroom, buy them online at icewarehouse. They have free returns on skate purchases, as long as they aren't sharpened. Take them to the shop, have them baked and decide then.

Or, if the shop will, order them through the local rep which I imagine they could do even if they don't have an active account. Not sure on that one though, it's been a while since I dealt with reps.

Pretty interesting kinematics study from Marquette University...They found the Mako skates to be 13% faster than competitive skates on the market.

Page 24 and 25

http://www.marquette.edu/engineering/biomedical/documents/THISONEBiomedicalEngineeringSymposium3-25-2014.pdf

Im wondering how much the holder and runner has to do with the speed. I had my first skate today with APX2 with a cxn holder attached, and I gotta tell you, it felt pretty much the same as Mako's (except the fit obviously). I felt just as fast, and I might actually prefer the stiffer skate over the softer mako. The only other difference I see that could be seen as an advantage is the extendon guard offered on the makos and not the BAuers. The extra room to extend might come in handy with the aggressive stance (which is why i think its there on the makos).

Im going to be going back and forth all summer to compare, but IMO the cxn holder is great. Its a lot cheaper than tuuk too, so if you are thinking of trying out the makos, but are unsure about the forward stance, I would say give them a shot.

• Like 1

They actually find that the skaters have less sagittal (front to back) movement in Mako skates. They anticipated to find the opposite, but they suggest that it's due to the better fit and softer boot allowing a more natural foot/body position. They don't really discuss differences in angle due to the holder and runner. It would be interesting to see that normalized.

They actually find that the skaters have less sagittal (front to back) movement in Mako skates. They anticipated to find the opposite, but they suggest that it's due to the better fit and softer boot allowing a more natural foot/body position. They don't really discuss differences in angle due to the holder and runner. It would be interesting to see that normalized.

As far as the sagittal movement...I would think that might be due to the shape of the lace eyelets. The mako seem to be a C shape vs the more L or vertical as say to a vapor. It seems that with a C shape lace pattern your high ankle/shin would contact the top lace earlier when forward flexing causing you to need more weight and force into the boot earlier.

That's what 55 flex concept does with skates. They seem to become more aggressively forward "L" shaped in the lacing pattern.

For those that skate with the mako how is the feel of forward flex vs other boots worn?

As far as the sagittal movement...I would think that might be due to the shape of the lace eyelets. The mako seem to be a C shape vs the more L or vertical as say to a vapor. It seems that with a C shape lace pattern your high ankle/shin would contact the top lace earlier when forward flexing causing you to need more weight and force into the boot earlier.

That's what 55 flex concept does with skates. They seem to become more aggressively forward "L" shaped in the lacing pattern.

For those that skate with the mako how is the feel of forward flex vs other boots worn?

That's an interesting point. Cruikshank + Van Horne had a much more notched angle on the top eyelets of the prototype boot shown in various history of the Mako videos. It looks like MLX and VH both have more of that L-shape, like the Vapor...also, are Makos higher cut than VH? IIRC, they don't specify what other skates participants wear in the study, just that they use their normal skates for half of the trial and Makos for the other half.

Not sure If I read this post correctly. They have STEP STEEL available for the CXN Holder?

No Icing has it listed in their web store, standard, Velocity, and Black.

Pretty interesting kinematics study from Marquette University...They found the Mako skates to be 13% faster than competitive skates on the market.

Page 24 and 25

http://www.marquette.edu/engineering/biomedical/documents/THISONEBiomedicalEngineeringSymposium3-25-2014.pdf

For whatever it's worth, the study was funded, at least in part, by Easton. That doesn't necessarily mean that the processes weren't properly controlled or that the results aren't entirely legit, but is worth keeping in mind.

• Like 1

For whatever it's worth, the study was funded, at least in part, by Easton. That doesn't necessarily mean that the processes weren't properly controlled or that the results aren't entirely legit, but is worth keeping in mind.

Good to know, but I kinda figured that would be the case.

Just a quick answer needed - why get step steel over the easton blades?

Still waiting for the mako 2 release in the UK.... gaaaa!!

At.a clinic that I just attended, Dave Cruikshank was asked about them and seemed genuine when he said he couldn't believe how much quality/ high performing materials Easton put into them. He works for Easton, of course, and perhaps I just let myself get suckered in because I appreciate what the guy has done for ice hockey skates. He said M8 is a little heavier than Mako 2, I don't see weights up yet on any sites. Have you watched the IW reviews yet? I find those to be helpful in describing the differences. FWIW, if I only had $690 to spend then I would get M8 (I just placed an order for Mako 2s though).

I just watched the review from IW. It seems like a nice skate, but no mention of weight vs Mako II.

Can anybody compare the pitch of the holder and blade radius to that of Vapors? I'll be trying these on in a few weeks, and I'm going to be a bind if they end up fitting me better than my current Vapors. I'm worried I won't ever be able to deal with the higher pitch of this holder compared to Bauer.