Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

I'll give it a shot. I'd hate to give up on the skates cause other than the arches I love everything else about them.... including the forward pitch. I even came to the determination that should I go back to my Supremes I'll probably have some heel lifts installed to mimic that aggressive pitch.

Edited by Anjin-san

I'll give it a shot. I'd hate to give up on the skates cause other than the arches I love everything else about them.... including the forward pitch. I even came to the determination that should I go back to my Supremes I'll probably have some heel lifts installed to mimic that aggressive pitch.

It's not the Carbon fiber outsole that is the area that needs to be heated, but the heat moldable Quarters where the arch meets the skate. See the link to the video below at the 1:14 mark, it deals with pain in the arch. That's exactly how I did mine, and they went from excruciating to very comfy. Carbon Fibre itself does not move much, if at all when heated.

http://eastonhockey.com/videos/mako-skate-fitting/

I had the same problem, and thought the same as you, that it was the carbon fiber that needed molding, when it wasn't. I spot heated the moldable area where the arch is, just as it showed in the video, even though I thought it was a waste of time, and it completely alleviated my arch pains. Watch the video do it just as they show. Worked for me.

I've watched that video several times and followed the directions (heating up that area and pressing it out). However the pain persists. When I have the skates on I can see and feel that the area causing the pain is beneath the area that can be and was punched out. It lines up directly with the carbon composite part of the boot.

Just an outside possibility, but how tight are you tying your skates Anjin-san? A lot of people have mentioned feeling awkwardness or pain in their Makos until they lacing their boots with barely any tension at all. If you're not cranking down on the laces, maybe try molding them again but leave a little more slack in the eyelets that are directly above where the pain in your foot is.

Edited by flip12

Just an outside possibility, but how tight are you tying your skates Anjin-san? A lot of people have mentioned feeling awkwardness or pain in their Makos until they lacing their boots with barely any tension at all. If you're not cranking down on the laces, maybe try molding them again but leave a little more slack in the eyelets that are directly above where the pain in your foot is.

It's funny you should mention this. During one of my phone conversations with Easton the rep said the exact same thing. He said to tie them with 50% to 60% of the tension I was using. I did just that but to no avail. I can only hope that future renditions of the Mako II will offer a boot which extends the heat moldable quarter panels a bit lower down where I need it.

I'll try the suggestions above, but given the nature of the pain I'm a bit skeptical it will make enough of a difference to allow me to keep them. As a side note, last night I put my Supreme One100's on and walked around the house for quite a while. I'll be honest, they felt great :-/

Edited by Anjin-san

I spoke with Easton prior to baking them in order to confirm that the Ortholite footbeds in the Mako II did in fact need to be removed prior to baking (which they do). During that conversation the rep said to tighten them at 50%, which is what I did. As I stated previously, other than the arches the skates baked well and fit fantastic.

During that conversation the rep said to tighten them at 50%,

Still for the baking process or for skating in after they've been molded?

Sorry I keep asking the same thing, it just hasn't been crystal clear from what I've read on your trouble shooting process.

Sorry it's still troubling you too. The reason I thought maybe trying to give a little more volume back (which I thought forming a little bit looser in the uncomfortable section might help do) was I experienced similar excruciating arch pain in Graf 705's that were extra-stiff from having not been skated in for several months. When I skated in them everyday, I could lace them to firmly wrap my foot throughout the arch and they were perfect: no hint of pain and super responsive. Yet, skating in them dry, they wouldn't form to my feet on the sides so I had to lace them less tight to compensate. With these thermoformable shells as with the Mako, it's still a bit of a mystery process to me. I've been going through different approaches to my MLX and still haven't quite nailed it. I've fortunately not had any arch pain in those, however.

Edited by flip12

They recommended 50% for baking and 50% to 60% during skating if you're having pain/cramping issues. The idea was that the skates wrap the foot so well, it's not necessary to make them as tight as most people are use to.

Edited by Anjin-san
  • Like 1

They recommended 50% for baking and 50% to 60% during skating if you're having pain/cramping issues. The idea was that the skates wrap the foot so well, it's not necessary to make them as tight as most people are use to.

I have flat feet, not only have I stretched that area, I've given them moderate heat (5-6) mins, tied them and stood in them to relax that area

I actually barely lace my skates now. I've also been experimenting with skating with no socks because my current socks are meant for basketball and are very thick.

Skating barefoot feels REALLY good. no issues other than slight numbness in my toes due to cold, but that's about it.

Edited by sparky1

To the person with arch pain issue - Ive owned 3 pairs of makos now (mako 1 - warrantied because of mako bumps, mako 2 that I use for Ice now, and the mako m8 that I use for roller), and for the first week or so I got really bad arch pain with all three skates. Ive baked them all twice, and pushed out a few spots with a heat gun and my thumb (not the arch) - but I have zero arch pain now.

I have seen in the video from easton to heat with a heatgun and push out with the other side of a screwdriver, but mine went away with just normal wear. I have a bone spur that caused me to bake twice and push out - not the arch thing. But my advice would be to try out the heat gun and press it out if nothing else. You will know its hot enough because the makos are EXTREMELY pliable when they are the right temp. Maybe even try rebaking before that- maybe you went a little too conservative on the first bake? Remember not to stand up with them.

Did a stick and puck session last night to try and get a feel for the skates before our league starts up next week. Both positive and negative emotions after the skate. Positives were the boots themselves. Super comfortable, great top end speed, starts and turning. The negative, felt like I was learning to skate again in terms of stopping. I got my normal 5/8 cut but could not stop. Was chattering on the ice and felt like I was catching my toe and almost rolling my ankle. Just out of curiosity how long did it take everyone to transition to the cxn holders? I was planning and hitting a few more sessions to try and get up to speed.

Got it, sorry for the repetitions :)

No worries. I appreciate people taking the time to help me out.

I definitely observed the malleability of the skates when they came out of the oven. The same thing goes for the several times that I used my heat gun to heat the quarters and press the area out with my thumb (per Easton's video). I could see my thumb pushing through on the outside of the skate. Unfortunately the pain in my arches lines up with the carbon composite monocoque portion of the boot, and per Easton that part (carbon fiber monocoque) is not heat moldable.

I plan on trying some of the suggestions noted in previous replies. I may even re-bake the skates at the LHS this weekend. It's worth a shot.

To Hollowicked; Fortunately I had no problem adapting from unprofiled Tuuk LS2's to the CXN holders. I went to a public session and felt comfortable within 10-15 minutes.

Lastly, now that the Mako II's have been out for quite some time, have there been any credible reports with durability issues like some users of the original Mako's experienced?

Did a stick and puck session last night to try and get a feel for the skates before our league starts up next week. Both positive and negative emotions after the skate. Positives were the boots themselves. Super comfortable, great top end speed, starts and turning. The negative, felt like I was learning to skate again in terms of stopping. I got my normal 5/8 cut but could not stop. Was chattering on the ice and felt like I was catching my toe and almost rolling my ankle. Just out of curiosity how long did it take everyone to transition to the cxn holders? I was planning and hitting a few more sessions to try and get up to speed.

It rook a while, about two ice times - the boots are a little more responsive and might feel sharper than they are. You have to get really good knee bend, rather than bending at the waist. If it's still an issue, feel free to swap in Tuuks or whatever you're used to.

I had no issues out of the box. The steel is harder than a lot of other skates and take more passes to put on an equivalent edge. They could very well need a second sharpening.

• Like 1

Depending what skate he came from, the CXN steel could be a decent amount harder, too. I had issues at first adjusting to the inhanced "grab" of my mako's edges compared to my old LS2 steel. I definitely chattered until I had my skates sharped with a slightly less aggressive hollow. I normally got a 1/2 and now I'm using 7/16 or 5/8 depending on ice condition.

Thanks for the replies, I came from ls3 steel. I will try to have them sharpened again possibly going shallower then 5/8. I plan to get a few more skates in before any actual game use.

What's funny is, I'm not sure if I just adjusted over time, or if just sharpening slightly less aggressive helped, but I did keep my 1/2 on there for my 2nd and 3rd sharpening, and it felt like a bit less bite than the very first time out. I still chattered a little, but it was much less.

Also, unrelated, has anybody purchased the M7's? I'm thinking about getting a pair and converting them over for inline skating. Skating in my old Vapors now and it sucks compared to my Mako fit.

I let mine slide for a while without sharpening them and they were a mess tonight. I had to stop sharpening and let them cool for a while before I could finish. The rough spots were that bad. It's no knock on the skate, I can't remember the last time I sharpened them and they were pretty nasty on the ice the last couple times out.

Hey guys,

My Mako 1st generation broke last week and now I'm wondering if I should go back to Easton... They fit perfectly but they only were alive for a year and a half.

Here is the status of my Mako 1 :

20150626_111213.jpg

20150626_111318.jpg

front of Right Foot :

20150626_111335.jpg

front of left foot :

20150626_111344.jpg

That's not normal for me... do I have to write something to Easton to have something back even if they aren't on warranty ?

Somebody had the same problem with the Mako 2 ?

Thanks for your help !

Balou

Edited by baloo1987

I've read about and have seen pictures of durability issues with the originally Mako and kept that in mind when buying mine earlier this year, but they were being cleared out locally at $240; so if I can get a year and a half to two years out of them I will be happy. By that time the Mako 2 will be selling for clearance prices. I certainly would be less satisfied if I'd paid full MSRP and they only lasted a year and a half (depending on how often I was on the ice of course...if I'm on the ice 5 hours a day then a year and a half is pretty good, but if it's only a few hours per week; I'd expect them to last longer).

I have not seen any pictures showing the Mako 2 or M8 having the same breakage issues as the original Mako. They've been out for over a year now; so I think if there were major issues we would've seen/read about them by now. It seems like Easton has addressed the durability issues with the newer models.