Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

I tried this tactic at a Hockey Giant retail shop and they refused bake without buying them. They were convinced these were like all other skates out there and once baked were fit for your foot forever - thus can't be sold to someone else.

It sucks when retail employees don't have a clue about their products

It sucks when retail employees don't have a clue about their products

For sure. Like I said back when I bought them, I practically had to grovel to get them to shut up about Jetspeeds and let me try Makos on.

I will say though that was only the retail store experience, Easton customer support on the other hand, blew me away. They made everything right by me, and then some. I am a born again, lifelong Easton customer now.

Thanks for the advice, I also have a tweaked ankle which is still a bit swollen so I think thats not helping my cause. I was more worried about the length opening up a bit when the heel gets heated, hoping it give me a little more room up front.

Got the skates heated and happy to say they opened up, walking my toes are brushing the cap, knees bent they feel great. Haven't been on the ice with them but hopefully this week I'll be able to get out I'm assuming as I skate they will continue to settle in.

There's a chance Bauer could carry the design into a new product under their name, so they have a 4th skate offering for those of us who don't fit into any of the current Bauer offerings very well. I know I tried on 1X's and the length felt okay, but the boot overall felt more volumous than my old Vapor's ever did. I knew that if a 1X felt too big, than an MX3 would, too.

Mako's were the only boot available that gave me that total heel lock, and had almost no negative space left in the boot.

Hopefully they will rebrand it under some new product line, and Bauer would have something like, "2X, "2S", "2N" and "2K" where K is the Mako design. Market it as the ultimate in energy transfer technology with maximum agility and turning radius, blahblahblah.

Seems like CCM did this with the "CCM RibCor 50k", which seems essentially the same as the Reebok, with a few minor changes and a slightly new appearance.

Edited by z1ggy

I was thinking of buying up a pair of Mako II just in case, but honestly my Makos almost feel kind of floppy on my feet after being in VH goal skates. I love my Makos and they have served me well but I think I'd be buying a pair of VH if I ever planned to skate out with any frequency again.

I was thinking of buying up a pair of Mako II just in case, but honestly my Makos almost feel kind of floppy on my feet after being in VH goal skates. I love my Makos and they have served me well but I think I'd be buying a pair of VH if I ever planned to skate out with any frequency again.

That is really interesting, I am loving my Mako's and was wondering if it was possible to have that much of a better fit going to VH's next.

What do you mean by "floppy"? Floppy laterally? The cuff of the boot is shorter than most (if not all?) major skates out now, so that could be one reason, I believe.

That is really interesting, I am loving my Mako's and was wondering if it was possible to have that much of a better fit going to VH's next.

Custom will always be better :)

What do you mean by "floppy"? Floppy laterally? The cuff of the boot is shorter than most (if not all?) major skates out now, so that could be one reason, I believe.

I mean lots of room in the toe box. Nothing at all to do with the cuff of the boot.

Size EE? I have a D width Mako, came from a D Width Vapor XXX. I find the toe box to be a tad wider, but more anatomical fitting than my Vapor's were.

Given all of the problems I have seen with people ordering custom skates over the years, it's laughable how wrong your comment is. "Custom" is great for padding the ego and about the 5% of people that actually need it.

• Like 2

Size EE? I have a D width Mako, came from a D Width Vapor XXX. I find the toe box to be a tad wider, but more anatomical fitting than my Vapor's were.

Nope. Just the VH fits that much closer.

Given all of the problems I have seen with people ordering custom skates over the years, it's laughable how wrong your comment is. "Custom" is great for padding the ego and about the 5% of people that actually need it.

Okay then. We will have to agree to disagree, then.

Edited by OptimusReim

I mean lots of room in the toe box. Nothing at all to do with the cuff of the boot.

Side to side in the toe box or above your toes? If it's the latter then you could try using powerfoot inserts as they're meant to fill up that space.

My KOR Shift 2's were squeezing my foot were the cap met the boot and causing a blister between my two smallest toes. Moving to a EE Mako definitely solved that problem as the toe cap is wider and more ergonomic. It certainly doesn't feel sloppy to me though, but I have a wide forefoot.

Side to side in the toe box or above your toes? If it's the latter then you could try using powerfoot inserts as they're meant to fill up that space.

My KOR Shift 2's were squeezing my foot were the cap met the boot and causing a blister between my two smallest toes. Moving to a EE Mako definitely solved that problem as the toe cap is wider and more ergonomic. It certainly doesn't feel sloppy to me though, but I have a wide forefoot.

More above the toes, but just in general for the whole skate. It's not a problem for me so much as just a comment noting that I thought the Mako was amazing fitting until I tried the VH, which was just that much better. That's all I'm saying. Both of them are infinitely better for me than anything else I've ever tried on.

I haven't tried on Tacks or Jetspeeds (nor the even bigger Nexus or RBZ) but I have put just about everything else on my foot that's come out in the past 2 years. Mako is in my opinion, the most anatomical fitting toebox around. A normal Bauer toebox say on the Vapor, is that classic U shape. Look down at your foot. Notice anything? Like, how your toes don't form a U shape? Yeah, that's why the Mako toebox is better. It's actually shaped like a real foot. And it took how long for somebody to think of that??? Yeeesh.

Optimus, you must have an interesting foot to have the Mako toebox in D width feel sloppy (one of the lowest volume boots in my book). I'm glad your VH's fit well though. I just didn't trust roughly $1000 bucks on a stencil and photo of my foot.

• Like 1

Just for those that have Mako's... my tendon guard on my Mako2 snapped the other day.. no damage, but decided to crack halfway through so it was floppy and cut into the back of my heel. No problem I thought, as these guards can be unbolted. I contacted Easton support and offered to buy new guards (boots are about a year old and not expecting warranty coverage). The told me flat out that they couldn't be replaced and that they couldn't help me any further. Just something to be aware off if you have them.. Fortunately my LHS (TheHockeyShop) in Vancouver is absolutely awesome and is helping me out way more than I expected..

Edited by RickDC

I haven't tried on Tacks or Jetspeeds (nor the even bigger Nexus or RBZ) but I have put just about everything else on my foot that's come out in the past 2 years. Mako is in my opinion, the most anatomical fitting toebox around. A normal Bauer toebox say on the Vapor, is that classic U shape. Look down at your foot. Notice anything? Like, how your toes don't form a U shape? Yeah, that's why the Mako toebox is better. It's actually shaped like a real foot. And it took how long for somebody to think of that??? Yeeesh.

Optimus, you must have an interesting foot to have the Mako toebox in D width feel sloppy (one of the lowest volume boots in my book). I'm glad your VH's fit well though. I just didn't trust roughly $1000 bucks on a stencil and photo of my foot.

Yes, most skates use a U shaped toe box. The Makos toe box is the most anatomical and best fitting toe box I've ever had the pleasure of using. The only other skates I've owned that came close to being as comfortable for me as the Makos were the KOR Shift 1's and the Torspo Surge 221's. They both fall short of the Mako though because neither used an anatomical toe box. The built in heat responsive footbeds in the Shift 1's were a nice touch, but a Bauer speedplate in the Makos could potentially replicate that.

hey guys need a little mako help. I misplaced my skate key for my mako 2 is there anywhere is i could get another one or a size i could look for at the hardware store?