Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monty22

Man runs sub 3 hour marathon wearing.... flip flops

I'm not even sure I could make that time while driving in my flip flops. Actually, I've always hated flip flops; I find the bar between the toes very uncomfortable, so this guy's accomplishment is remarkable.

I rarely wear them, unless I'm going to a beach a pool or cooking on the grill.

^ This. Maybe it's just the newly-found adult in me, but flip flops are for beach/pool, and nothing else. Get some boat shoes like Sperrys for wearing with shorts in the summer.

I can run in flip flops no problem, but what this guy did is remarkable. I'm the guy that as soon as the snow melts im in flip flops and shorts till the snow is back. One of the reasons I might wear them so often is because 10 hours of the day im in nasty, sweaty, steel toe work boots. So I just like to let my feet air out. I find them very comfortable. Also im not talking about the cheap plastic ones I have a pair that is cloth for the thong between my toes.

Remarkable are the people who run them barefoot.

Once proper technique is developed, it's really just like doing it in shoes. Never the less, agree, much more impressive than flip flops. Though very impressive if he didn't blister.

Sent from my HTC One X

Once proper technique is developed, it's really just like doing it in shoes. Never the less, agree, much more impressive than flip flops. Though very impressive if he didn't blister.

Sent from my HTC One X

I think he said the skin all rubbed off. I know a lot of minimalists who still wear shoes with more cushioning for marathons, and the pic I saw of this guy was showing a big time heel strike, not exactily the technique you would expect.

I think he said the skin all rubbed off. I know a lot of minimalists who still wear shoes with more cushioning for marathons, and the pic I saw of this guy was showing a big time heel strike, not exactily the technique you would expect.

I actually had to stop running because of the heel first technique I had and developed terrible shin splints. Crazy to think he ran and trained for a marathon with that technique.

I was able to decrease my amount of heel strike by wearing the Vibram 5 fingers shoes for running for a little while. When you lose the heel cushioning, you learn how to get off your heels. I still use them now and again when I catch myself getting lazy and laying back on the heels.

I was able to decrease my amount of heel strike by wearing the Vibram 5 fingers shoes for running for a little while. When you lose the heel cushioning, you learn how to get off your heels. I still use them now and again when I catch myself getting lazy and laying back on the heels.

It's amazing how much of a difference a shot can make. I've changed my technique and went back to a shoe with a bit thicker of a sole and so far I'm back up to 7km, just trying not to jump back into it too quickly.

I actually had to stop running because of the heel first technique I had and developed terrible shin splints. Crazy to think he ran and trained for a marathon with that technique.

The other benefit is that using a forefoot strike allows you to engage the hamstrings more effectively in the stride. Feels a bit strange at first but if you get used to it you can really generate some more efficiency by allowing the quads to share the work with the hamstrings.

I just read an article about middle distance (I think) runners and the fact that they all use varying techniques. There really isn't one that is more effective, according to the study.

I just read an article about middle distance (I think) runners and the fact that they all use varying techniques. There really isn't one that is more effective, according to the study.

Modern runners do use varying technique, but that's not indicative of what is best because technique is learned and influenced by footwear. Much of the theory of footwear (the dangers of overpronation, extra cushioning, heel lift) is based on assumption and has no science to back it up. Peter Larson's book Tread Lightly is by far the best examination of all the research and theory out there. Very objective and eye opening.

This is a national sport in Australia, I wear my thongs.... "Flip Flops" all year round. Hell, I just did 5 days of photography at a lower level international Hockey comp and wore them everyday... just made sure to avoid the blades when shooting near the benches.

It sounds like no one from FL has commented. Here most people wear flip flops at least as much as we were closed toed shoes. I have a couple of close friends that I've known for over 10 years and have only seen them in closed toed shoes once and that was for a funeral.

It sounds like no one from FL has commented. Here most people wear flip flops at least as much as we were closed toed shoes. I have a couple of close friends that I've known for over 10 years and have only seen them in closed toed shoes once and that was for a funeral.

Co-signed.

I even take mine up to Winterfest and wear them in the hotel room. I'll cry when they break because they don't make that model anymore (Crocs thong)

I have two pair of those, I think they were the Athens or something like that.The brown ones are pretty much worn through the outer layer of the sole.