Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

2013 Easton Hockey Catalogue

They felt significantly more rigid in the uppers than I was expecting given how much they are touting the ability to gain forward flex.

Depends on which direction you tried to flex them. They're specifically made to only flex in one direction. So if you tried to flex them outward, yea, they'd be super stiff.

Depends on which direction you tried to flex them. They're specifically made to only flex in one direction. So if you tried to flex them outward, yea, they'd be super stiff.

I just tried to squeeze the uppers, didnt try to flex in any direction. Makes sense that they'd be stiffer laterally than front to back, I was just surprised at how stiff they were given the promotion of forward flex

I just tried to squeeze the uppers, didnt try to flex in any direction. Makes sense that they'd be stiffer laterally than front to back, I was just surprised at how stiff they were given the promotion of forward flex

Ah yea makes sense then. In order to see why they promote forward flex, you'd need to try flexing them forwards ;)

JR, I apologize if this a repeated question but I didn't find much in the searching I did. For the Mako II M5 stick, you state it is built to CHL/European stronger built spec, can you elaborate specifically on what their specs are? And by CHL, are you referring to the Canadian Hockey League? I see many CHL teams using what appear to be RSII's, Mako's and even EQ50's....would this imply the sticks they are using are built to this spec and differently than say, pro stock or retail versions of the same stick?

It's a stick spec made for those leagues as those players don't have the options a pro does - they get to pick pattern, flex and grip type; they're bought in bulk by the team, and since budgets aren't deep, it's made to be more robust than standard retail models. Bauer does the same thing for NCAA as well; their SE version.

Hockey Monkey has the Mako skate for sale on preorder. Jr. size mako's retail on their site for the same price as the Sr. skates $799.99 . I was looking forward to getting my son to try these but for that price I'll stick with bauer. Hard to swallow paying $800 on a skate he is going to grow out of in less then a year.

In general, "european built specs" means they drop all the useless/non-sense features and simplify the declinations of a model.

On a stick, it can merely be getting rid of a silly colorway for something more sober, changing the entire blade by something more traditional and durable, different grip patterns etc.

Above all, it shows that manufacturers know exactly what they are selling. They can't afford to sell rubbish in a European market that is very exacting.

As for the mako2, I don't really understand why their presentation is so out of it. The stick is great, probably one of the best release of 2013 actually.

All the sticks are essentially made of unidirectional fibres, on most sticks only the superficial layer (that is only for cosmetics) isn't.

And if the stick got "so" lighter it's simply because they got rid of the kevlar...

• Like 1

In general, "european built specs" means they drop all the useless/non-sense features and simplify the declinations of a model.

On a stick, it can merely be getting rid of a silly colorway for something more sober, changing the entire blade by something more traditional and durable, different grip patterns etc.

Above all, it shows that manufacturers know exactly what they are selling. They can't afford to sell rubbish in a European market that is very exacting.

As for the mako2, I don't really understand why their presentation is so out of it. The stick is great, probably one of the best release of 2013 actually.

All the sticks are essentially made of unidirectional fibres, on most sticks only the superficial layer (that is only for cosmetics) isn't.

And if the stick got "so" lighter it's simply because they got rid of the kevlar...

Actually the weave is cosmetic, but does serve the purpose of easier connection or cover for the uni material. With that being said, using just uni reduces the weight in itself, but getting rid of the kevlar along with it will reduce the weight even greater. With any company they have to pick and choose what will have the greater representation as for as presenting the brand and I think with the right choices and follow through they could be a major competitor in all categories

Hockey Monkey has the Mako skate for sale on preorder. Jr. size mako's retail on their site for the same price as the Sr. skates $799.99 . I was looking forward to getting my son to try these but for that price I'll stick with bauer. Hard to swallow paying $800 on a skate he is going to grow out of in less then a year.

Bauers top end skates are all about $800 also.

Jr Mako Skates Size 4, 4.5, and 5 priced at $499 online.

Thanks. Not to long ago Hockeymonkey had the Jr's on preorder for the same price as the seniors. Clearly the price point has dropped.

Anyone tried the Mako protective line... I have an itch to pull the trigger on ALL of it...

Shoulders: The fit is pretty good but the caps are still a bit big for my liking. The middle piece between the shoulder cap and the lower bicep guard sticks out and is pretty annoying. The vest-like velcro on the front is a pretty good fit surprisingly.

Elbows: Fairly comfortable but like the shoulders, the caps are too big. The middle strap on the Mako M5 felt very restrictive and scratchy. The one on the Mako was much better.

Shins: Bulky knee cap that tapers down to the ankle. Good fit but I still prefer Bauer's system where the top strap is on the front.

Probably a silly Q, but any ideas if the new "Pro" glove is actually the one turning up in the NHL on Timonen, Letang, Hamhuis, Parise and others? Or is this an E-Pro ("pro-style" product) vs Synergy 800 (actual pro glove) situation? My well-loved Synergy 800s are looking for a replacement.

As a related question, any ideas as to what glove James Neal is wearing? Looks a bit different than the ones that the previously-mentioned guys are in.

Keep hearing the kick point on the Mako 2 stick has changed/lowered........Can someone plz elaborate and say how this compares to the RS2 and its main differences so I can be clear on the subject.

Thanx

Keep hearing the kick point on the Mako 2 stick has changed/lowered........Can someone plz elaborate and say how this compares to the RS2 and its main differences so I can be clear on the subject.

Thanx

I talked to Easton's stick line manager Mike Mountain and asked the same question. The best way to differentiate between kick points is that the Mako II is a "low" mid-kick and the RS II is an "ultra" low-kick. Using the heel of the blade and the mid-point of the shaft, the Mako II is kicks much closer to the center where as the RS II kicks much closer to the heel.

Im up for changes in my current equippment, Beacuse mine feel so old fashioned :D. Have rbk 6 fitlite shins and rbk6 caps says jofa but its rbk too, Seems like 07´08 gear. Im locking for protective,lightweight and mobile SP and Shin guard. So checked icehwarehouse and saw Mako and M5.They sure fill my expectaion. But what are the main diffrent for the extra buck.? Just saw mako SP had molded foam instead of HD foam.

http://www.totalhockey.com/product/Mako_M5_Shoulder_Pads/itm/11602-41/?mtx_id=0.

http://www.totalhockey.com/product/Mako_Shoulder_Pads/itm/11603-41/?mtx_id=0.

And a point in right direction of the shin Mako vs m5 and the shoulder pad would be awesome. Im just getting into hockey again and just want the best protection due the level of play (low level division but some skillz in it ;)). And about the budget, so I want to stick with for example. Mako SP-M5 shin or viceversa combination. Just to keep the wallet big :). And the big plus here is which one has the lower profile dont like it bulky. So is it more worth it to spend top end in shoulder pad or shin is the question.

side note. I am 6´1 (184 cm) and my shin guard right now feels to big RBK 6k 16" (41cm). Any one in 6`1 have 15" or 16"?

sorry for bad english, the swedish dude.

Give me advice about flex on Mako2, read many post's about -77 (sr) flex felt more whipper then 65 flex (int), it's true?

Edited by KoT