Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

Supplemental Discipline 2013

I will preface this by saying I am a Wild fan, but also follow the Oilers somewhat closely as well...

I think this was a bad hit by Hall. No good was going to come from it. Someone was going to get injured - either Hall or Clutterbuck (if not both). The player (Clutterbuck) and puck were already seperated for a good amount of "hockey time" and it was clear that the Oilers were going to get the puck if the hit was not made. Even if no injury occured on the play - it was not a play that a hockey player wants to be associated with. Anyone can say "its good to finish your check", but not a check like that.

When I saw it in real-time, I thought it was kneeing. After watching the replays that FSN-North were showing, I thought it was a hip check that simply caught Clutterbuck in a bad position. I truly think that Hall's only intention was to deliver a hit rather than making a play for the puck. Hall could have avoided making the hit all together or put himself squarly in front of Clutterbuck. I know the game is fast, but Clutterbuck did not make any other major movement just before the hit that changed the hit Hall could have delivered... After watching the play in freeze-frame motions, I believe that Hall actually led with his knee, but was intending on delivering a hip check.I believe Hall was doing that motion to deliver as hard of a hit as possible. Regardless, the first contact point to Clutterbucks person was Hall's knee. Hall finished the hit with his hip.

I believe this is a grey area. I could see how one could consider it kneeing, but one could not consider it kneeing! The puck was in Clutterbucks general area a few seconds before the hit was made, so interference was borderline as well. I still believe this hit does not belong and therefore think he should get 1 game.

Two games. Surprised it was that many.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=205016&cmpid=nhl-twt

I truly think that Hall's only intention was to deliver a hit rather than making a play for the puck.

I keep seeing people saying this or similar. Making a play for the puck is certainly in no way a requirement for delivering a body check on an opponent. It has no relevance.

Now, if the puck is away from the play, or its a late hit, then that is obviously an illegal play (and is one of the reasons for the suspension, according to Shanahan). But there is nothing wrong with not making a play for the puck, in and of itself.

i suppose its better than them giving him nothing and then everyone will be crying foul because superstars shouldnt get special treatment - but it just seems so random

I'm encouraged by the way Shanahan is going about this, including the start of the new series of explanatory videos. The more structure they set up, the more consistent I expect this to get. And the more videos they do, the better I expect the structure to get. He's certainly taking steps that no one has before. While the process may not be where we want it to be, it is hopefully heading down the right path. But when it comes to how long it will take -- further affiant sayeth not.

I'm encouraged by the way Shanahan is going about this, including the start of the new series of explanatory videos. The more structure they set up, the more consistent I expect this to get. And the more videos they do, the better I expect the structure to get. He's certainly taking steps that no one has before. While the process may not be where we want it to be, it is hopefully heading down the right path. But when it comes to how long it will take -- further affiant sayeth not.

Yea ever since he started the videos last season, at least we get some insight into the thought process, even if we don't agree with the end result.

Looks like Clowe and the Sharks are going to have the book thrown at them.

Per Bob McKenzie's Twitter:

SJ's Ryane Clowe suspended pending hearing on Monday. Clowe will not play tonight in DAL but HC Todd McClellan will be behind bench.

Clowe was deemed by officials to have come off bench for purposes of starting altercation with CHI's Andrew Shaw in final 10 seconds.

Clowe has been offered in-person hearing, which would allow NHL discretion to suspend 6 or more games if it chooses.

One option is auto 10-game suspension but that carries with it one-game suspension for head coach. McLellan is coaching tonight.

I was curious about that when it happened. I just assumed the officials wrote it off as a line change, as did the Hawks broadcast team. Unlike a lot of other guys, they don't start screaming for the harshest possible penalty any time something happens to their team. I'll be shocked if the league throws the book at them, they usually let the guys off with the line change excuse and really cut back on the number of games, if they give any.

I was wondering, too, and expected that it would be lost in a possible line change. They didn't really show enough video to see the bench, and who was changing. I guessed that he might have got the 10 last night for mouthing off. I get confused when I see it listed as "10 minute game misconduct"; I suppose I should look that up.

The NHL web site says he got that penalty for leaving the bench to start an altercation:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=657106

It seems to me that if they were going to buy the line change excuse, they would have rescinded the misconduct and allowed Clowe to play tonight, or scheduled a telephone hearing. Since they didn't, I'm guessing they approved that call, meaning that they have no choice but to apply the 10-game suspension.

I suppose it's possible that they could recharacterize it as a 70.2 violation, but they could have done that today, and it would not have required offering an in-person hearing.

I'll be shocked if the league throws the book at them, they usually let the guys off with the line change excuse and really cut back on the number of games, if they give any.

Well they already decided that it wasn't a line change, and that it was indeed leaving the bench to start an altercation. So that ship has sailed already. Which means...

I'm guessing they approved that call, meaning that they have no choice but to apply the 10-game suspension.

... is likely to happen.

Well they already decided that it wasn't a line change, and that it was indeed leaving the bench to start an altercation. So that ship has sailed already.

Likely, but not necessarily. They could still go with Rule 70.2. It just would have been smarter to do it today, if they wanted to.

I was wondering, too, and expected that it would be lost in a possible line change. They didn't really show enough video to see the bench, and who was changing. I guessed that he might have got the 10 last night for mouthing off. I get confused when I see it listed as "10 minute game misconduct"; I suppose I should look that up.

The NHL web site says he got that penalty for leaving the bench to start an altercation:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=657106

It seems to me that if they were going to buy the line change excuse, they would have rescinded the misconduct and allowed Clowe to play tonight, or scheduled a telephone hearing. Since they didn't, I'm guessing they approved that call, meaning that they have no choice but to apply the 10-game suspension.

I suppose it's possible that they could recharacterize it as a 70.2 violation, but they could have done that today, and it would not have required offering an in-person hearing.

Nothing with the NHL is that cut and dried. I'll wait for the announcement/video from Shanny to believe that he will get the full ten games, especially in a shortened season.

Nothing with the NHL is that cut and dried. I'll wait for the announcement/video from Shanny to believe that he will get the full ten games, especially in a shortened season.

They may not give him the full 10, but the point of my post was to say that they definitely won't be letting him off.

Likely, but not necessarily. They could still go with Rule 70.2. It just would have been smarter to do it today, if they wanted to.

They already decided it's at least a one game suspension, that's all the delay really means. I'm not a gambling man by nature but I would put money on it not being ten games.

They may not give him the full 10, but the point of my post was to say that they definitely won't be letting him off.

Anything less than the letter of the law, is letting the guy off the hook.

Hard to believe that the ref right there didn't make the call on the Habs - Rangers play.

I really looks like Clowe was standing waiting for a potential line change when the hit is made, even though the game is almost over. And I'm a Hawks fan, for whatever that's worth. I think the timing really escalated the issue for the league.

Hard to believe that the ref right there didn't make the call on the Habs - Rangers play.

There's no penalty there. McDonagh turned into he pressure.

there was a penalty called but it was the 2 min variety - also the previous shift mcdonagh had hit pacioretty from behind over by the benches so i doubt this was a complete accident

Guy on NHL network mentioned "guys who turn their back to the hit," regarding McDonaugh. Are we watching the same play? Pacioretty saw numbers the whole way.

That's the mentality that the NHL needs to change. The point of the game is to move the puck and score goals, not put people in the hospital. Guys don't hit to knock the guy off the puck anymore, they hit to injure.