Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HockeyStop

What kind of knob, tape, wrap, ect. Wears down palms the least?

I tried the regular tacki Mack with the small butt end but it's still too big for my liking, the butt end. I hold end of stick in my palm like others said.

I ended up buying another tacki Mac it's called the pro ribbed grip it looks exactly like the Patrick Kane one with no butt end. How far above the end of the stick should I let the tacki Mac hangover if I need to make sure it's covered up as to not wear out the palm?

I also tried some guys method of the clear shin pads tape on the butt end and it was too slippery

I use the white renfrew cloth tape that you would use on your blade. So I wrapped the end again and I let it hang over the end a little bit to make sure it's covered up but I only go around three or four times because I like like next to no knob. If I just end up going with the cloth tape will this be enough to save my gloves. I also bought a roll of the gauze looking Renfrew tape but I have no idea how to use it on the end.

Thanks

I tried the regular tacki Mack with the small butt end but it's still too big for my liking, the butt end. I hold end of stick in my palm like others said.

Since they are rubber you can trim off the butt end to you liking

up buying another tacki Mac it's called the pro ribbed grip it looks exactly like the Patrick Kane one with no butt end. How far above the end of the stick should I let the tacki Mac hangover if I need to make sure it's covered up as to not wear out the palm?

Just slightly above the end of your stick so that the palm of your glove is not exposed to the end of your stick.

use the white renfrew cloth tape that you would use on your blade. So I wrapped the end again and I let it hang over the end a little bit to make sure it's covered up but I only go around three or four times because I like like next to no knob. If I just end up going with the cloth tape will this be enough to save my gloves. I also bought a roll of the gauze looking Renfrew tape but I have no idea how to use it on the end.

Thanks

Sounds like the grip tape, I used to use that, I would put down a quick thin wrap of normal cloth tape, then go over it with the grip tape. To finish it off, I would usually put some cloth tape on the shaft where the grip tape starts to stop it from rolling up.

I've been using tacki mac for a couple years now and love them. Orignaly tried the ribbed, but it was too thick. So now all of my sticks have the wrapped one on them. Still would like the try the Kane at some point.

Use shinguard tape over the normal tape, and your palms will last forever.

You can also heat the finished job with a blow dryer and till tighten it up and you'll have plenty of grip.

Rip normal white tape in half or less and wrap around about 20 times. I always change the rest of the handle with length, sometimes 10"+ or just enough for where my hand will rest. I also go back and forth with a candy cane or not.

I may be wrong on this, but I believe Giroux does just a nob at the top of his stick and uses grip sticks in order to get some traction on the top hand. Knowing that grip material and texture varies from stick to stick (nipple grip vs reeboks dual grip as an example), would just having the knob and using the sticks own grip make you palms last longer than lets say white stick tape or even the tacki mack? I guess it would also mean that your palms (left and right) would deteriorate almost at the same rate. I've retired the "white tap in half" and am really enjoying this style...

*Edit (Picture)

claude-giroux_zps278b2d72.jpg

I use Tacki Mac Command Ripped Wrapped, no sign of wear on my palms (but I intentionally got palms that I knew were built to last too- Bauer APX)

If I ever got one, I would plan to cut the butt end off. .

What the thinnest tacki mac grip again?

Kane version

I've been using stretchy gauze tape. Using Howie's, don't know if that makes a difference. I stretch it out as much as I can and then wrap it around a small knob on the top.

Got new gloves, however they seem to be wearing the same as normal white tape. I tend to hold the top of my stick but do try to put enough tape around the corners and then pack it down. I don't think my butt-end is big enough, and the corners are what is causing the most wear.

I'd say the corners/edges are likely the main cause for creating quick holes on the top hand glove.

This is an old topic...But alwyas seems to pop up as a current concern. To me what tears up my gloves is the tacky glue on the tape...The high glove is always in rough shape and its the glue...I have applied corn startch to detckify the glue...the glue problem is also part of the reason why the tape gets black by attracting alot of dirt and such (IMHO).

My sticks I make a knob off that is 3/8" wide. I tear my 3/4" tape in the middle and roll it out onto the stick. This waythe lower tape can also get easily replaced if too worn.

What I am in search of, is this

...Ryan Smith used a graphite knob end that he claims (in a video) where made by easton. Anyone have any ideas? I know this is a few years back...

img-223565-m.jpg

Yeah...His knob is Big...But I would be willing to game one of these as it would not have tape tearing up my palms.

Otherwise I guess it may be easier to just make a plug from wood and have it made to be similar.

I know that some guys will tape their sticks as usual but use electric tape for one or two turns on the knob.

That'd be a neat project for somebody who had a 3D printer... make custom butt ends for their stick that incorporate whatever size/shape knob they want.

Is Oggie Grip still around? Wasn't he doing custom grips?

Yea, that would work too. I was thinking more just the knob though.

Joe can make a mold in any shape.

Another endorsement for Tacki Mac. They give a good grip/feel and my gloves have shown very little wear.

Easy to put on and remove. You can re-use them, but I find that they don't hold as well 2nd time around.

I prefer to use stretch grip/powerflex/ self adhering tape as the grip. There is no adhesive to worry about and when I add a small knob at the end it works pretty well. I don't like to use the really coarse self adhering tape, usually the stuff the athletic trainers or that you can find in the first aid aisle at the store will do well. If I dont have that type of tape available I just use regular athletic tape.