Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HockeyStop

What kind of knob, tape, wrap, ect. Wears down palms the least?

Just started using some new CCM 4R pro II and feel as though the palms are wearing extremely fast after 2 skates and about 200 shots on the driveway. I currently just use white tape, what works best for you at saving your palms? Tacki Mac, grip, cloth, ? Thanks guys...if this is a redundant thread my fault, I couldn't find anything with the search (wrong search tags psbly?)

Do you hold the end of the shaft in the palm of your hand? If so, make sure the edges of the stick are covered with enough tape to provide some level of padding. I know there are a couple topics on this but I have to figure out how to re-enable google site search in the search bar. The built in search function isn't that good. It's one of the little things we haven't had time to fix since we moved to the new server.

Yes I do hold onto the very end and I do have a decent sized knob, maybe half inch thick at most.

Make sure the edge of the tape rolls over at the top. If the shaft is exposed at all, it will speed up the destruction of the palm. Taki mak makes a good product, but again, make sure the end of the shaft is covered. My favorite was the foam that Joe at Oggie used to sell. I would put that on and then cover with a layer or two of tape and be done. Oggie does also make custom butt ends now and you can get softer materials to reduce friction as well.

Over the past two or three years, i've taped by stick as i normally would with cloth, and then finished it with one layer of the clear tape. Personal preference, but I value the pattern i create (knob/grooves/etc) vs. the actual grippiness of the tape.

No holes through three sets of gloves.

All I do is use clear shinpad tape to do just enough of a knob that it is comfortable for me to hold it - and that's it. All of my sticks have grip on them, so I don't feel the need to use any other type of tape for grip on there.

Once I did that it stopped the wear on the palms of my Bauer 4 Rolls.

Over the past two or three years, i've taped by stick as i normally would with cloth, and then finished it with one layer of the clear tape. Personal preference, but I value the pattern i create (knob/grooves/etc) vs. the actual grippiness of the tape.

No holes through three sets of gloves.

Yep. I find that stretching the clear shinpad tape over the tape job on the butt end works really well. I do it once and it lasts forever. Of course it will be smooth as hell and you will not have any grippiness on the butt end. But I can deal with that as it has basically kept my palms practically brand new on my One90s, which I've had for years (granted I only play once a week).

Thanks for all the replies, looks like Ill order a tacki mac or three...and while I wait for those to be delivered I can try the clear tape-over method. About 10 years ago I played with a tacki mac as a teen and i dont remember having much if any wear on my gloves...dont really know why I ever stopped using them. Thanks again

I put a stripe of clear tape over the knob. I tried using clear around the entire taped part of the handle but my hand would slip way too much. Defeated the purpose. Over the knob does a good job of reducing the wear you'll find in the top-hand glove.

I've switched to tacki-macs (Kane and a wrapped) with the knobs cut off. No complaints here.

tacki mac's are the best by a long shot

I have gloves that are 4 years old, top hand shows no wear where as my bottom hand shows the most wear from rubbing up and down the stick

Tacki Mac is the way to go. Yes its removable & reusable, I shuffled around grips when I first tried it out, now its a must on all my sticks. My glove palms are thanking me.

My question about Tacki Mac is how big are the "knob" ends? I do the cable/rib wrap on my tape job and don't make an actual knob at the top. I just do a single wrap of the rib at the end and then candy cane down the handle area. I like this because I also hold the stick end in my palm.

My question about Tacki Mac is how big are the "knob" ends? I do the cable/rib wrap on my tape job and don't make an actual knob at the top. I just do a single wrap of the rib at the end and then candy cane down the handle area. I like this because I also hold the stick end in my palm.

They have different models with different sized knobs, but what you're describing sounds exactly like the Kane or Pro grip. That's what I use and it's the Tacki mac version of that type of tape job. It's cheaper to buy directly from Tacki Mac if that's all you're buying (may be more cost effective to buy from someone else if you're ordering enough to get free shipping or can pick one up locally), but the IW page has better pictures which is why I'm providing both links.

http://www.tackimac.com/shoppingcart/agora.cgi?p_id=CR-KANE

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=TMPK

Personally, I just do a layer of white, a layer of grip tape, then a strip of clear or electrical tape to wrap around where my palm contacts the most.

They have different models with different sized knobs, but what you're describing sounds exactly like the Kane or Pro grip. That's what I use and it's the Tacki mac version of that type of tape job. It's cheaper to buy directly from Tacki Mac if that's all you're buying (may be more cost effective to buy from someone else if you're ordering enough to get free shipping or can pick one up locally), but the IW page has better pictures which is why I'm providing both links.

http://www.tackimac.com/shoppingcart/agora.cgi?p_id=CR-KANE

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=TMPK

That's exactly how I do my wrap. Thank you...because now I'm ordering a couple - haha.

Pro tip:

Forget the glue paper and use strong hold hairspray. Just spray it on the shaft and slide the grip on.

how do you go about removing them and reapplying them? You must need extras of the sticky glue paper, right?

Got the same gloves and anything but a tacki ripped those gloves so fast. I have a hole completely through both layers of my CCM 4 Rolls. Very disappointed. My Bauer X60 Pro look almost new compared and I used a tacki. Too bad they are too big