Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hammers44

Beefy Shins

I've been looking for something to replace my Warrior Projekt Shins ('11 model) and haven't found anything yet at the LHS by my house. I really like the width of the Projekt and how protective they are but don't like the fact that the straps have a tendency to fall apart. Pretty much what I'm looking for is some Wide/Beefy shins.

Has anyone came from these into say Reebok/CCM? I found some older Vector 6.0 on ebay but couldn't remember how protective they were. Any help is much appreciated.

I've been looking for something to replace my Warrior Projekt Shins ('11 model) and haven't found anything yet at the LHS by my house. I really like the width of the Projekt and how protective they are but don't like the fact that the straps have a tendency to fall apart. Pretty much what I'm looking for is some Wide/Beefy shins.

Has anyone came from these into say Reebok/CCM? I found some older Vector 6.0 on ebay but couldn't remember how protective they were. Any help is much appreciated.

CCM's Crazy Lights aren't necessarily beefy, however reeboks 20k's are. If you liked the projekts, I highly recommend you take a look at the AX1 shins. They are simply amazing. They have a classic fit (wide), and offer tons of protection, along with a great strapping system and liner.

If you can find some on clearance or second hand, Rbk 10ks or 11ks are what you are after. Otherwise the 20ks will do the job also. For Rbk it started with the 10k and all they have done is minor tweaks since. Some don't like the plastic clips they have for the straps, trick is to pull it tight thru the clip, don't use the clip as a fulcrum. A lot of players don't like how bulky they are but after you wear them for a while you just don't notice.

I haven't tried the AX1 but I have put on just about every other top end shin out there (including projects) and Rbk still hold first place for me in terms of protection. The vector 6.0 don't offer a lot, the V10's were ok'ish but tended to crack in the knee cap.

One reason I bought my 10k shins is because they are extremely protective. I've taken numerous shots off them and haven't felt a thing. I also love the strapping system they have, holds perfectly for me. They are probably my single favourite piece of gear I own.

The newer Easton pro shins are pretty beefy. Very similar to old Louisville TPS gold shins I had in high school. Good ventilation, comfortable and nice and beefy. Don't weigh a ton either.

I went from Projekts to 8ks. Both are 15" but the Projekts felt longer because of the extra padding at the ankle. 8ks feel beefier at the knee cap (which is what I was looking for) and wider down the shin. I sold the Projekts to a teammate so I could probably snap a side-by-side at my next game if you'd like.

I went from Projekts to 8ks. Both are 15" but the Projekts felt longer because of the extra padding at the ankle. 8ks feel beefier at the knee cap (which is what I was looking for) and wider down the shin. I sold the Projekts to a teammate so I could probably snap a side-by-side at my next game if you'd like.

I'd appreciate it if you could. I did like my Projekts a lot but I don't want to shell out another $90 to have the straps fall apart after 2 seasons.

If you can find some on clearance or second hand, Rbk 10ks or 11ks are what you are after. Otherwise the 20ks will do the job also. For Rbk it started with the 10k and all they have done is minor tweaks since. Some don't like the plastic clips they have for the straps, trick is to pull it tight thru the clip, don't use the clip as a fulcrum. A lot of players don't like how bulky they are but after you wear them for a while you just don't notice.

I haven't tried the AX1 but I have put on just about every other top end shin out there (including projects) and Rbk still hold first place for me in terms of protection. The vector 6.0 don't offer a lot, the V10's were ok'ish but tended to crack in the knee cap.

I'm having my LHS order the AX1 for me to try on and see how similar they feel to the Projekts. Unfortunately I can't find any 10ks or 11ks for a reasonable price.

I'd appreciate it if you could. I did like my Projekts a lot but I don't want to shell out another $90 to have the straps fall apart after 2 seasons.

I'm having my LHS order the AX1 for me to try on and see how similar they feel to the Projekts. Unfortunately I can't find any 10ks or 11ks for a reasonable price.

I've used the Projekts for a couple years and tried on the AX1 shins. The AX1s felt a bit wider in the knee and deeper overall - especially the calf area. I can get the calf done up tightly on the Projekts, but had excess room in the calf area with the AX1 pads. This is comparing 16" pads. They don't make 16" intermediate pads, but they do sell 14" and 15" intermediate pads that have less volume. So if you wear 14" or 15" pads and don't have enormous calves you may want to try the intermediate pads.

Bauer Nexus are pretty damn beefy, especially the Nexus 1000. I have them, and I honestly want something slimmer now...

What size do you have? I have NXG (16 for inline, 17 for ice) and want something beefier. I am overseas though. The NXGs are great- comfy and protective for straight on stuff, but I would appreciate a bit more foam or plastic beyond the exact fronts of my shins. I also would rather err on the side of more protection- I wear full cage and skate fenders, that is just the "type of guy" that I am. And I am always getting hit with pucks (skates, shins, hands, even took one off the inner elbow since I got back on the ice, and I have only had 15-20 sessions or so), I guess I am in position or something.

I took an inline puck to the inside of my leg above the ankle and got a nice sized bruise from it. It missed the plastic sector and did get blocked by the thin, medium density foam of the inner calf wrap. It hurt a little bit when I got hit, nothing major, I have a pretty good pain tolerance for injuries to muscles and joints though when the adrenaline is flowing. Glad it wasn't ice puck.

What size do you have? I have NXG (16 for inline, 17 for ice) and want something beefier. I am overseas though. The NXGs are great

13". One of the reasons I went nexus was that they were one of the few 13" shins I could find.

Before I went nexus, I had 14" supremes and liked them mostly. I just couldn't wear my tongues out with them because they were too long. I don't think they had them in 13".

I'm going to replace them at some point, but no real rush.

I have RBK 11K shins. I came from x6.0 Bauers. The Bauers did not provide enough protection against slapshots or slashes, causing significant shin pain and calf bruising. I haven't felt a thing wearing 11K shins. Simply awesome. Also, I don't need to use tape, a first for me, with the 11K. The straps are in perfect spots, and the shin has enough volume to fill Edge socks so that the socks provide compression too. They aren't took bulky or heavy or hot for me. Love 'em.

My favorite recent hockey related purchase.

Yeah my LHS ordered me in a SR15 and an INT15 for me to try on this weekend. Have you saw the INT 15s? Im wondering if the pad will be just as wide as the seniors?

I used Jofa shins, then moved to 9Ks, then moved to 11Ks, always been a fan of "beefy" shins.

When I needed to replace the 11Ks, I tried around and found the Nexus to be just as beefy and with better straps (the one negative I usually had with Reebok shins) but actually ended up with Easton Makos. They are pretty beefy, but taper down a bit as you go down the leg and fit great and I liked the straps. Found it to be a good compromise and have taken quite a few shots directly off it and been just fine.

Yeah my LHS ordered me in a SR15 and an INT15 for me to try on this weekend. Have you saw the INT 15s? Im wondering if the pad will be just as wide as the seniors?

The difference between an INT15 and a SR15 will be with regards to volume. See chart below, if you have really skinny legs then the INT 15 will be a better choice, however it'll all come down to which one you feel comfortable in, so good on you for getting both INT and SR to try on.

I have the ax1 elbows, and if I hadn't just recently bought Crazy Light Shins, I would have gone with the AX1 shins as well. They are fantastic, and really stood out compared to the Nexus 1000, rbk 11ks, nxgs (anatomic fit), and the makos. I also noticed that Pacioretty rocks them too.

Warrior-Dynasty-Shin-Sizing_zps2332359b.

Speaking of CL shins... they don't come in 13" unless you buy intermediate. I prefer 13" shins (currently in Nexus 1000 but want something less beefy). Do you think a 13" pair of CLs will work for me? I'll have to try them on obviously, but I'm not even going to bother ordering them if you MSH'ers say it wont work for me.

I'm actually tempted to go back to the Supreme line. I liked my One60s, they were just too long and they didn't have 13" back then. Looks like the new Supremes do.

Speaking of CL shins... they don't come in 13" unless you buy intermediate. I prefer 13" shins (currently in Nexus 1000 but want something less beefy). Do you think a 13" pair of CLs will work for me? I'll have to try them on obviously, but I'm not even going to bother ordering them if you MSH'ers say it wont work for me.

I'm actually tempted to go back to the Supreme line. I liked my One60s, they were just too long and they didn't have 13" back then. Looks like the new Supremes do.

I highly doubt it unless you have tiny skinny legs, and if I remember correctly you're a Scott Stevens like big fella, right? If you like the anatomic fit its definitely worth a shot, plus you can find totalones on clearance now.

I highly doubt it unless you have tiny skinny legs, and if I remember correctly you're a Scott Stevens like big fella, right? If you like the anatomic fit its definitely worth a shot, plus you can find totalones on clearance now.

The old totalones didnt come in 13 if i recall, which is why i switched to nexus. The current model does, though. I think I'm going to grab them. The nexus shins are like tanks and I really feel super protective, but they make my already big legs look even bigger.

The old totalones didnt come in 13 if i recall, which is why i switched to nexus. The current model does, though. I think I'm going to grab them. The nexus shins are like tanks and I really feel super protective, but they make my already big legs look even bigger.

Was in the store today and snapped a couple of photos for you. Compared an NXG 13" next to a 14" Senior CCM CS which runs the exact same as the CL. They didn't have the INT 13" but just by comparing the 14" senior CCM's to the NXGs I'd say its a long shot you'd fit in the Int. 13" cl's. hope this helps!

527DFDBE-23EE-4BBB-B941-EDE2343F87DB-3654A800EB9-F053-43C2-921D-B6A59375A7F6-365