Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gummer12

2014 CCM Tacks Skates

Given the construction materials for skates these days, there is no validity to the heel wedge. Ballistic nylon is no longer used on a skate. I understand the disappointment but I doubt the heel wedge will ever return. I'm just happy they left the lace lock off! I have seen the skates from my rep and they do look great.

Given the construction materials for skates these days, there is no validity to the heel wedge. Ballistic nylon is no longer used on a skate. I understand the disappointment but I doubt the heel wedge will ever return. I'm just happy they left the lace lock off! I have seen the skates from my rep and they do look great.

I think people were just saying they would like the old school tack look. Why so serious?

Looks ok, hoping for rbz foot trace with more instep and depth.

Supposed to be a narrower fit than the RBZ.

They are a good looking skate and should open up the CCM line to those that found the RBZ to wide and too much volume.

Supposed to be a narrower fit than the RBZ.

They are a good looking skate and should open up the CCM line to those that found the RBZ to wide and too much volume.

I thought reeboks were wide skates (though their ee widths used the normal toe cap) but never found them to have great volume. The top of my foot always used to bulge out the top.

Given 5 out of the first 29 posts wanted the heel wedge, I was just addressing the issue from how skates are made today against how Tacks were made when CCM used the heel wedge. The materials used are different and superior but everybody knows that.

Given 5 out of the first 29 posts wanted the heel wedge, I was just addressing the issue from how skates are made today against how Tacks were made when CCM used the heel wedge. The materials used are different and superior but everybody knows that.

Very true, but rather than yellow design graphics, they could've definitely had an aesthetic throwback to the heel wedge. Or maybe two sets of laces per skate. Anyone remember that short lived technological advance?

I always felt the heel wedge was mostly cosmetic on the old Tacks, and would certainly be the equivalent of the Micron "Power Clip" if they incorporated the wedge into this iteration of the Tacks line. With that said, I think most of the posters that lament the lack of the wedge are doing so because it was the cosmetic feature that differentiated Tack skates from the other brands. I grew up wearing Tacks, and always liked the look.

I always felt the heel wedge was mostly cosmetic on the old Tacks, and would certainly be the equivalent of the Micron "Power Clip" if they incorporated the wedge into this iteration of the Tacks line. With that said, I think most of the posters that lament the lack of the wedge are doing so because it was the cosmetic feature that differentiated Tack skates from the other brands. I grew up wearing Tacks, and always liked the look.

Amen bro

Why would they? These people who have wanted Tacks back wanted the classic Tacks fit. It should've never gone away.

With a new fit, why would they try to squeeze their foot into something that doesn't fit properly?

I think you're under estimating the consumer. I'd argue no name in hockey has been more popular. Further, the amount of beat to spit Tacks I see in here for sharpening, proves I think just how popular the name is as they are unwilling to switch. They will have a placebo affect on themselves and will like and buy the skate simply because of the name. Im a small ma and pa store and I see once a week men in their 30s to 50s looking to buy new skates who had tacks and are disappointed that CCM doesn't make them anymore and they rave on how much they miss them and want them to come back. This skate will be an outstanding success for CCM simply because of the name. CCM is on the right path, they just can't mess this up with gimmics again. Once Reebok is out of the hockey market their brand will only grow and I see them slowly but surely taking away the juggernaut Bauer's market share. Next thing they need to revamp for next season - their team sales and stock & selection of warmups, jerseys, etc.

I think you're under estimating the consumer. I'd argue no name in hockey has been more popular. Further, the amount of beat to spit Tacks I see in here for sharpening, proves I think just how popular the name is as they are unwilling to switch. They will have a placebo affect on themselves and will like and buy the skate simply because of the name. Im a small ma and pa store and I see once a week men in their 30s to 50s looking to buy new skates who had tacks and are disappointed that CCM doesn't make them anymore and they rave on how much they miss them and want them to come back. This skate will be an outstanding success for CCM simply because of the name. CCM is on the right path, they just can't mess this up with gimmics again. Once Reebok is out of the hockey market their brand will only grow and I see them slowly but surely taking away the juggernaut Bauer's market share. Next thing they need to revamp for next season - their team sales and stock & selection of warmups, jerseys, etc.

only if they fit well. For me the mike modano chris chelios tacks era were the best.

Needs more "heel wedge"...

Total miss IMO. Why ignore heritage when your using a heritage name. It should have been part of the "look" of the skate. I grew up wearing CCM skates and still pull out my 752 pumps from time to time. To me the skate "look" has a "Supreme" feel to it. I'll be interested to see if my opinion changes once I see/try them.

Total miss IMO. Why ignore heritage when your using a heritage name. It should have been part of the "look" of the skate. I grew up wearing CCM skates and still pull out my 752 pumps from time to time. To me the skate "look" has a "Supreme" feel to it. I'll be interested to see if my opinion changes once I see/try them.

sort of what bauer did with the nexus 1000? old school look? could of done the same with the CCM

And I think you are underestimating the consumer who switched to another brand (most likely Bauer) because they were shit on 11 years ago by being told that the skate fit they've had for ages would be discontinued. How do you leave 100% of your skate clientele in the dust and expect them not to look for a solution?

So all of a sudden CCM is going to become a barn burner of a brand because Reebok is being shitcanned? Not sure about that, but we'll see. I think it's healthy for the industry to have competition, however, Bauer has been dominant or at the top of ALL categories over the past 8 years or so, where CCM became a has been. Easton certainly has declined, especially in the stick category (which they dominated), and Warrior isn't even close to being near the top in any category.

Hopefully Bauer can be reeled in a bit, however, I think OD1N was a huge step ahead in many respects and to me, having been employed on the manufacturing side of the business, was very impressed where others on this board and others simply bantered about how ugly the products were and how they'd never purchase that product. The point was missed completely.

While we're talking CCM...

BINGO!

The Tacks name could have easily been kept around and evolved over time.

so will the reebok skate w/ pump line become something? CCM ribcor or ccm 20ks?

Not to reiterate but if were gathering a consensus of opinion here:

This is a tack: mike_modano.jpg

This new skate is an Easton RS/Totalone NXG look-alike with the word Tack slapped on it. Being born in '88 and having grown up with 152-952, this new design doesn't resonate at all. I'd liken to this to Bauer releasing a 2015 skate called the "Comp" and making it a lime green boot with a purple holder.

This is a tack: mike_modano.jpg

This new skate is an Easton RS/Totalone NXG look-alike with the word Tack slapped on it. Being born in '88 and having grown up with 152-952, this new design doesn't resonate at all.

Yes sir, Amen my man. ^^^^This would have been nice

This is a tack:

This new skate is an Easton RS/Totalone NXG look-alike with the word Tack slapped on it. Being born in '88 and having grown up with 152-952, this new design doesn't resonate at all. I'd liken to this to Bauer releasing a 2015 skate called the "Comp" and making it a lime green boot with a purple holder.

Amen brother...I can pretty much recount the minute by minute details of the day my dad took me o buy me the CCM 652s.

I was really hoping CCM was going to bring back a product that was reminiscent of the old school Tack style with upgraded tech.

And I think you are underestimating the consumer who switched to another brand (most likely Bauer) because they were shit on 11 years ago by being told that the skate fit they've had for ages would be discontinued. How do you leave 100% of your skate clientele in the dust and expect them not to look for a solution?

So all of a sudden CCM is going to become a barn burner of a brand because Reebok is being shitcanned? Not sure about that, but we'll see. I think it's healthy for the industry to have competition, however, Bauer has been dominant or at the top of ALL categories over the past 8 years or so, where CCM became a has been. Easton certainly has declined, especially in the stick category (which they dominated), and Warrior isn't even close to being near the top in any category.

Hopefully Bauer can be reeled in a bit, however, I think OD1N was a huge step ahead in many respects and to me, having been employed on the manufacturing side of the business, was very impressed where others on this board and others simply bantered about how ugly the products were and how they'd never purchase that product. The point was missed completely.

While we're talking CCM...

In that video they obviously omitted certain years with a purpose. When they miss... they go all in. They had unqiue skates that pushed skate advancement (or skate fitting) - Where are the Vacu-Tacks, 1st version Pumps, 752 Pump Kevlar, 952 or 1052(whichever had the 1st full comp outsole). We wouldn't be where we are today with heat mouldable skates if CCM Tacks hadn't made models that addressed customized fit at point of sale.

I was told that they appeared to be insulted by the comment.

Over the years, I've learned that a pretty significant number of people in this industry do not like feedback if it isn't glowingly positive. And don't even get me started on constructive criticism.....

Unfortunately, it appears that what you and I think of the Tacks brand name and what the folks at CCM think of it are entirely two different worlds. To many, the Tacks "brand" will be something they've never heard of/remembered.

I know a lot of kids either don't or won't know the Tacks 'brand'.

But what about Dads who grew up in the Tacks brand, have kids & go to the hockey store to get little Johnny a pair of skates and see something similar to the skate they grew up in?

Over the years, I've learned that a pretty significant number of people in this industry do not like feedback if it isn't glowingly positive. And don't even get me started on constructive criticism.....

would you say they are in the wrong business then? I would hate to seem them in the auto industry? does anyone remember the terrible pontiac aztek? did anyone think that was a good idea?

What about when Bauer went from the 8090 to the one90s? Is this sort of the same thing? Then with the one95 the skate was all black again. i could be wrong but i'm hoping CCM learns, well I hope they would have learned from their past mistakes.

wonder if this is the "blacked out" skate some CCM/reebok players are in. I know the Ribcor skate is out there but it looks different

this got me all worked up. I just bought a pair of 552 tacks, 652 tacks, and pumps off of ebay just now. the 552 and 652 are my size, the pumps are a quarter size too big.