Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tamtamg

Sparx Skate Sharpener - At home sharpener

In addition to noupf and mojo's suggestions. Was it a new ring? You could be feeling the difference between a fresh ring and one that's worn in a little.

On 6/12/2023 at 11:21 AM, mojo122 said:

How well did you deburr the skates?

I thought I deburred it pretty well. No grabby edge, felt smooth dragging my finger down the height of the blade. 

On 6/12/2023 at 11:38 AM, stick9 said:

In addition to noupf and mojo's suggestions. Was it a new ring? You could be feeling the difference between a fresh ring and one that's worn in a little.

The wheel was brand new. But, the guy I normally go to is pretty hyper-aware about his stuff, so I don’t think he’d use a wheel that’s past it’s prime. 

And it felt “off” enough that I don’t think whatever I did wrong was within some sort of expected tolerance. 

17 hours ago, start_today said:

The wheel was brand new. But, the guy I normally go to is pretty hyper-aware about his stuff, so I don’t think he’d use a wheel that’s past it’s prime. 

And it felt “off” enough that I don’t think whatever I did wrong was within some sort of expected tolerance. 

Maybe, and I stress maybe, you got a ring that was mislabeled at the factory. If everything else checks out, one would have to think it's the ring. Sparx customer service is pretty good. You could give them a call and see what they say.

On 6/12/2023 at 7:42 AM, start_today said:

Ok, I need some Sparx trouble shooting help. 

Sharpened my skates myself on a Sparx machine, first time I have personally done it. Used a brand new 3/4” fire wheel, which is my normal go to. It felt like way more bite than usual. Had pure hockey redo it, and it’s fine. Not great, but fine. 

I usually take them to a shop that does an outstanding job on a Sparx, it’s just 45 minutes each way. 

Obviously user error by me, but I thought I followed all the directions. Are there any typical newb errors that might lead to the blade feeling like too much bite? 

Machine isn’t mine. It’s a friend of a friend’s and I don’t know how well he maintains it.  Thanks!

I personally dislike Sparx. For some reason, it just doesn't have the same glide and bite as when I sharpen my skate by hand. I recently used a Sparx to sharpen since I was taking apart my primary machine for cleaning and the Sparx sharpening felt terrible. I obviously checked the edges and hone the steel myself. It just didn't feel the same and did not feel good. 

Oh well.

Just now, IPv6Freely said:

Thats unfortunate to hear. I find them to be fantastic.

Yeah, it's really hit or miss with people. I know a ton of people that use Sparx and think they are good. I also know a lot of people that dislike them.

Personally, I am a big fan of the Elite machine. Pretty sure that's the best sharpening machine I have ever sharpened my skates on. 

I'm amazed to see you think 45 minutes each way is acceptable.  😉  I got a Sparx because I didn't want to travel 20 minutes (including highway) each way.  Every time I go upstairs to the machine, I joke to my wife - I'm headed to the pro shop.  And I'm back in 5 minutes.

2 hours ago, rh71el2 said:

I'm amazed to see you think 45 minutes each way is acceptable.  😉  I got a Sparx because I didn't want to travel 20 minutes (including highway) each way.  Every time I go upstairs to the machine, I joke to my wife - I'm headed to the pro shop.  And I'm back in 5 minutes.

Agreed. I got mine partly because I was tired of bad sharpenings, but also tired of the sporadic hours the pro shop was even open. Even during hours posted on the sign sometimes they'd just randomly be closed. Also being a goalie I'm needing a freshening up pretty much every skate or two. I hate the "fresh sharpen after not doing it in way too long" feeling. 

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

Also being a goalie I'm needing a freshening up pretty much every skate or two. I hate the "fresh sharpen after not doing it in way too long" feeling. 

You may want to try a Fire cut.  It lets you slide pretty consistently throughout the sharpened duration.  The only issue I've had with it is the edge can go altogether like they say about FBV.  That is really an issue on outside edges when you're doing crossovers and you'll go down completely, so maybe for a goalie it's not a big deal.

Edited by rh71el2

On 6/16/2023 at 6:43 PM, rh71el2 said:

You may want to try a Fire cut.  It lets you slide pretty consistently throughout the sharpened duration.  The only issue I've had with it is the edge can go altogether like they say about FBV.  That is really an issue on outside edges when you're doing crossovers and you'll go down completely, so maybe for a goalie it's not a big deal.

Nope, I'm good :) 

Looking forward to it. I'm still rocking my gen 1 kickstarter machine. I was considering a gen2 machine now that I'm playing regularly again, but now I'll wait and see what the gen3 looks like and either get that, or a gen2 at (I assume) discount prices.

• Like 1

New advertising talks about Bluetooth. If this were being released 6 months ago I 100% would assume it’s an April Fools joke. Why does my skate sharpener need Bluetooth? 

There’s apparently a new fancy laser thing to improve alignment, but mostly seems like they added racing stripes and fins and increased the price. 

2 minutes ago, start_today said:

New advertising talks about Bluetooth. If this were being released 6 months ago I 100% would assume it’s an April Fools joke. Why does my skate sharpener need Bluetooth? 

There’s apparently a new fancy laser thing to improve alignment, but mostly seems like they added racing stripes and fins and increased the price. 

Don’t they mention other features being available via the app?  You can develop interfaces on an app much easier than trying to do the same thing on a small lcd screen on the device plus easier upgrades and bug fixes if needed.

2 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

Don’t they mention other features being available via the app?  You can develop interfaces on an app much easier than trying to do the same thing on a small lcd screen on the device plus easier upgrades and bug fixes if needed.

This feels like a solution in search of a problem. Were there a bunch of interface problems on the previous gens? 

The buttons on all the ones I’ve used are pretty simple and direct. 

14 minutes ago, start_today said:

This feels like a solution in search of a problem. Were there a bunch of interface problems on the previous gens? 

Didn’t it say there are other features accessible via the app?  In that case leveraging a better platform for the ui may make sense.  Will wait and see.

1 hour ago, BenBreeg said:

Have you used it ahead of release?  What don’t you like vs what they were solving for?

I don't see any of the problems they are trying to solve as legitimate and actual problems.

The alignment worked fine for a majority of people. The edge checker also worked fine. I don't see a need for an app for a machine that is very basic and can basically run off firmware. They are solving for concerns that aren’t tangible IMO. 

It not like Skatescribe or Elite where you need OTA software as those are industrial machines that are software driven doing profiling and sharpening. 

Howdy,

1 hour ago, start_today said:

I'm on the Sparx FB group.  I haven't done a scientific poll or anything, but it feels like half the posts asking for advice are some version of "my skate edges aren't level, what do I do?"  I think the new edge checker w/app does a good job of helping people with that / making it more idiot proof.

In terms of new stuff that I might care about as a gen 1 sparx owner... Pretty much there's nothing on gen 3 I care about.  Like you, I'm fine with the display.  It might be kinda nice to be able to program in 8 passes directly vs. 6+2 (etc), but that's hardly a pressing issue for me.  Comparing Gen 1 to Gen 3, the gen 3 is more portable and the access to the grinding rings is a little better.  But both of those were true for gen 1 to gen 2 as well.

The OTA updates is one of those "double edged sword" types of things.  Its great if they ever actually deliver an update that increases functionality (for instance... Does the new unit have a brain that can vary wheel or carriage speed and will they at some point modify that, perhaps with a new ring grit, to get better finishing passes?)  Its not great if the OTA update breaks a feature / gets used to disable your machine in some manner.

It looks to me like the vast majority of their focus was on making the Sparx even easier to use, vs adding capability.  I already found it easy to use, so mostly that doesn't help me.

Mark

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shoeshine boy said:

that edge checker, Sparx Beam is fascinating.......

I think it's a great machine. Folks that don't already have a Gen 1/2 will love it. It's not an iphone, so don't expect massive leaps and bounds in R&D year after year. At the end of the day, it's a grinding stone passing over some steel. No need to overthink it.

I like that Beam is backwards compatible. Hopefully in the future, they'll integrate it directly into the machine. IE, laser automates edge checking and adjustments. That's what I first thought when I read the release. Definitely would've purchased one had that been the case. Though, I don't know how useful it would be in a home setting. I don't check my edges often, because everytime I do, it just confirms that the machine is in fact accurate. 

App functionality makes perfect sense. No need for Sparx to write entirely custom software. They're not making the mistake that automakers did betting against Carplay. In the future, expect the machine to have no buttons and be driven entirely by a smartphone. Additionally, it allows them to begin to collect usage and performance metrics, which can then be parlayed into further improvemnts in successive generations. 

This might not appeal to users at first glance, but I think will ultimately bear fruit in years to come. 

Edited by pgeorgan
  • Thanks 1

Full disclosure - I am one of the new Sparx Brand Ambassadors.

We have a Zoom call with Russ on Thursday.  I will ask about how the bluetooth actually benefits the end user.  Let me know if you have other questions.

To me, at first glance, it's all a bit gimmicky and evolutionary not revolutionary. Yes, beam looks cool but not sure its needed UNLESS it will provide usable and actionable feedback.  I am interested in automated calibration.  Thats the way to get the machine perfect and this might be a step in that direction.

• Like 1