Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tamtamg

Sparx Skate Sharpener - At home sharpener

5 hours ago, start_today said:

Sorry, let me rephrase. Mot comparing cost of gen 1 or kickstarter.

The time before before gen 3 was released, did the gen 2 model cost the same as it does now, or was it more and they have since reduced the price? 

I think they reduced the price $100, but don't quote me on that.

On 9/29/2023 at 8:49 AM, start_today said:

The time before before gen 3 was released, did the gen 2 model cost the same as it does now, or was it more and they have since reduced the price? 

I understood what you were asking.

On 9/29/2023 at 11:49 AM, start_today said:

The GEN 2 dropped from 899 to 699 when the Gen 3 was released.

• Like 1

Theres just no real good reason for it to do profiling. Who are these people who are profiling their skates every week that need a consumer appliance that does it for them?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Theres just no real good reason for it to do profiling. Who are these people who are profiling their skates every week that need a consumer appliance that does it for them?

Plus what percentage of Sparx owners would even know what profiling is, if asked. 
I imagine you’d burn through those grinding rings at an alarming rate profiling as well. 

26 minutes ago, 218hockey said:

Think you guys need a sarcasm detector.

Not really. I've seen multiple people suggesting they wanted sparx to be able to profile. 

8 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Plus what percentage of Sparx owners would even know what profiling is, if asked. 
I imagine you’d burn through those grinding rings at an alarming rate profiling as well. 

True but how much does a profiling cost? If you use up a ring, so what. However I’m sure they originally had a cross grinding ring for the home machine and withdrew it due to the dust generated. So I don’t see them doing it for the home machine. They might produce a commercial profiling machine, at a higher price, I suppose, if they deemed it commercially viable. 

Makes sense.  If anyone here has used a commercial unit the grinding rings apply more pressure and travel slower than sharpening rings.   

17 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

IIRC, the rare instances of fires occurred with a combo of the high volume sharpening with cross-grinding rings and dirty filters.

That's correct. The initial response was to send out free filters to all customers. Two months later they discontinued the crossgrind rings. 

18 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

That's correct. The initial response was to send out free filters to all customers. Two months later they discontinued the crossgrind rings. 

Sounds like something responsibly handled.

2 hours ago, beerleaguecaptain said:

Sounds like something responsibly handled.

So long ago too. That was early in the gen 1 product lifecycle IIRC.

Been awhile since I've lurked and posted here, but I caved in finally and placed an order for the version 3 and I can't wait.

Too many little events in the past 6 months, there's 5 sharpeners here locally:

• Sharpener A is amazing but 45min away each way with a 30min wait because of how good he is (I've been desperate at times and taken days off of work to get his sharpens before a major tourney)
  • Sharpener B is decent but a few times now they've ruined the edge or gave me the wrong cut depending on who's working (I've asked for 1/2 and gotten 3/4 and vice versa)
  • Sharpener C has been gone since Covid
  • Sharpener D no longer works at the place and now is ran by teens who aren't very good, but even then it was a crapshoot and the most expensive of them all.
  • Sharpener E will complain if you bring two skates wanting different cuts, and he doesn't deburr the skates well somehow? So the first little bit of a fresh skate always feels weirdly sharp which goes away after 10 mins. I don't know how else to describe this but my 3/4 cut feels like a 3/8 for the warmups, and then dramatically changes to 3/4 for the next 6 skates.
Edited by Giltis
  • Like 1

Howdy,

On 10/16/2023 at 6:07 PM, mojo122 said:

Makes sense.  If anyone here has used a commercial unit the grinding rings apply more pressure and travel slower than sharpening rings.   

How do they apply more pressure?  Are they larger diameter?

Mark

4 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Mark

As I understand it the pressure is applied by a spring act9ng to push the wheel against the blade. Presumably they program the machine to lift the wheel higher before the cut starts, which increases the pressure applied by the spring as it is extended further. Just a guess. 

9 hours ago, Giltis said:

Been awhile since I've lurked and posted here, but I caved in finally and placed an order for the version 3 and I can't wait.

• Sharpener A is amazing but 45min away each way with a 30min wait because of how good he is (I've been desperate at times and taken days off of work to get his sharpens before a major tourney)
  • Sharpener B is decent but a few times now they've ruined the edge or gave me the wrong cut depending on who's working (I've asked for 1/2 and gotten 3/4 and vice versa)
  • Sharpener D no longer works at the place and now is ran by teens who aren't very good, but even then it was a crapshoot and the most expensive of them all.
  • Sharpener E will complain if you bring two skates wanting different cuts, and he doesn't deburr the skates well somehow? So the first little bit of a fresh skate always feels weirdly sharp which goes away after 10 mins. I don't know how else to describe this but my 3/4 cut feels like a 3/8 for the warmups, and then dramatically changes to 3/4 for the next 6 skates.

Sounds right. All adds up to "screw it, I'll do it myself". 

19 hours ago, Giltis said:

• Over time the sharpener destroys the profile on the blades. One set of mine ended up looking like goalie skates. 
  • Many sharpeners don’t dress the wheel before sharpening a pair of blades. 
  • One sharpener I know didn’t set the skate height properly, resulting in only half the blade sharpened. 

22 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Mark

I assume the control head recognizes that a grinding ring is installed.