Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

2005 Bauer/Nike Catalogue Review

Just came back from a three-hour session with my Bauer/Nike rep.

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/pics/JR/BNH/Bauer_2005.pdf

We'll go by the order in the catalogue.

Sticks

Vapor XXX - As you guys know, it's a True1 made to Bauer spec. They have used a thinner blade, which is called N-Touch. The grip is Stick'um, which is tackier than the grip on the XX.

Endure - This is being marketed as a "grinder's OPS." They have added a rubber sleeve on top of the blade (from the neck of the stick to about the middle of the blade) and an alloy mesh on the top part of the shaft in order to protect it against slashes. IT is heavier at 475g, but the balance is actually pretty good. Also comes with Stick'um.

XX Stick'um - Same stick as the XX, however, with the tackier grip. They have livened up the colors in it - it is yellow and fades up to black. This is not in the catalogue as it was a late addition.

XX - unchanged

VI - this is their new $99 price point stick. They've done away with the Tru-Flex and added a pre-preg blade and stick'um to it. Very nice stick at that price point.

Shafts and blades remain unchanged for 05.

Woodies have stayed the same, however, they have added the Fusion, which is a hybrid stick. There are two versions - the Elite, which includes a composite blade and a fiber reinforced shaft all the way up to the handle, and the Fusion Fiber, which's blade is mostly fibreglass, and a small strip of fiber in the shaft around the middle of the stick.

The PT3/Sakic clone is now offered in Bauer sticks, labeled as P92/Naslund.

Gloves

Vapor line is still the same other than the XXX.

THey have done away with the Supreme 5000 glove and incorporated the 5000 and the 4000 into the SDP Pro glove. (Silver Diamond Pattern). Same fit, the main difference is that the diamonds are ventilated now.

Baselayers

Nike has tweaked the Pro Vent shirt - added bigger mesh in the back behind the neck and under the armpits. The anti-slip pads are actually bigger this year, to cover more of the elbow pad. The built-in slash guards are gone - and the shirt comes in both loose and fitted. They also have a set of tight pants with anti-slip pads in the shin. However, it doesn't come with a built-in jock.

Protective

The V14 shoulder has bigger vent holes in the back. Gone are the zipper/vest style adjustment - the main complaint was that there wasn't much protection in the front between the chest and the shoulders, so they have beefed up that area. Fit is the same, however, the toecap is taller than the previous V12.

The 8000/6000 protective remains the same, but the 2000 has morphed into the 4000.

Pants remain the same as last year. The only major tweaking, again, was the 4000.

Helmets

8000/5000/4000

Skates

XXX/XX we all know about. The main changes for the XX is the LS2 system, which is actually one screw, with a rubberized grommet on the bolt so that you can't overtighten, and it is magnetized (thank god!) The XX will be a SENIOR skate only.

XIX - They have upgraded the XV by adding the outsole from the 04 XX.

XIV/VIII/VI round out the Vapor line.

Nike Flexlite 12's main feature is a dual-molded material in the quarters that expands and compresses along with your stride. When you flex forward, the material in the ankle compresses and the material towards the back of the skate expands. VERY LIGHT. These are back to GameReadyFit so no baking required. Order of the line goes Flexlite12/10/9/2.

The Supreme 8090 is now the top dog in the Supreme line. They have kept the 6000 but eliminated the 8000. The 5090 is now being offered at the senior level.

I will try to get this scanned for you guys. Give me a few days to try to find a scanner.

Here's a small peek at the XX Stick'um :)

xxstickum.jpg

Questions?

I forget who it is, but someone on the board has yellow and black HGTs + JR with his MSH he750s. Both of you guys need that stick.

my freind has one of those blue sticks he used it today in a roller drop in and he liked it alot.

Would this "blue stick" be the Vapor VI? I know many people who use the Vapor VI and they love it. I like the weave of the blade and the grip texture on it is amazing.

Im not crazy about the xx stickum. I liked the traditional xx. Luckily for christmas I got a regular xx that has the grip but not the ugly paint job.

Hm I like the way the XX Stickum looks, and yeah I second that the rubber sleeve thing is a good idea, sounds good to me for 05

Sounds like it's for durability:

They have added a rubber sleeve on top of the blade (from the neck of the stick to about the middle of the blade) and an alloy mesh on the top part of the shaft in order to protect it against slashes

The rubber is for durability in the Endure.

The LS2 will be available on the Vapor and Flexlite lines. The LS1 system will be on Supremes til the current stock runs out. In the catalogue, the Supreme skates are marketed with a LS1 system. However, you can retrofit the new LS2 bolt onto the old LS.

i might be ordering a pair of 8090 customs with the LS2, god damn the XXX hype machine. I always tell myself not to give in, and of course the xxx is not for me.

I got two dozen of the VAP VI sticks just before xmas. The stickum is not that sticky, has less "grip" than the VAP XX, just a light coat.

Three customers came in yesterday who used them over the weekend and initial reports are good. I sell it for $94.99, I think it will be a popular stick next year, grip coat for less than $100, not bad.

i might be ordering a pair of 8090 customs with the LS2, god damn the XXX hype machine. I always tell myself not to give in, and of course the xxx is not for me.

Why isn't it for you? Do you feel they addressed the durability issues of the XX?