Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tonguesOUT4life

Who avoids taking slap shots ?

Who avoids taking slap shots because they don't wanna break their sticks ?? I never take slap shots, my sticks are my babies and they are too expensive to replace and the worst part is that I'm so in love with total one nxgs and cannot use any other stick.. Am I missing out and limiting myself ?? 

Never taken them, never needed to take them, I wouldn't say you are missing out or limiting yourself.

From experience most people I play with or against who take slapshots rarely ever even hit the net! So many times I see a player take a slapshot from less then 20ft out and miss. When you then tell them they should have done a quick wrister they get shitty. ( yes mate that's why you have 3 goals and i have 30 )

I felt the same way for a while.  It was a bit of a mixture - my slapshot was never something I used much because a) it wasn't my best shot and I wasn't comfortable with it, and b) I was worried I'd break my sticks.  I'm also a centerman and I used it as an excuse to not take slapshots.

I then echoed the same sentiment to my shooting instructor at BASE hockey when I was doing shooting instruction and stick fitting.  He told me that it was a bad excuse - "It isn't that you never needed it, but you never played in a way that gave yourself the space to pull it off".  He told me that it's better to have it in the arsenal and not be afraid to use it when needed, than need it and refuse to/are unable to use it.

I got fit with a correct-flexing (both flex and flex region) and correctly-curved stick and stopped breaking sticks.  I still don't have a cannon of a shot, but I'm less afraid to hammer down and take the big clapper if the situation warrants it.  

I understand how you feel about finding a discontinued stick you love (I was that way about the Nexus 1000 sticks until the 1N came out), but I don't think it's a good thing if your gear reduces the weapons in your repertoire, whether physically due to badly-fitted equipment, or psychologically.

32 minutes ago, BucksAway said:

Down Under (;
With that been said though the quality of hockey in Aus compared to USA, Canada is quite a large gap

Heh...

I don't know where ur looking for hockey but you have the Australian Ice hockey league there down under and by watching YouTube clips it's the equivalent to senior A hockey in Canada made up with guys from Europe , America , Canada and some local Syd talent lol Australia wants to produce NHL talent they are proud of this walker kid ... And hey AIHL is getting media too 

mostly ex ECHL , SPHL some ex NHL or ahl players out there just enjoying the game playing for the love of it .. What a life man :)

The league I play in actually doesn't allow full blown slap-shots. Knee high motion is allowed, but frowned upon if going through traffic. Everyone has jobs to go to the next day, so who wants to take an errant clapper to the face or chest. 

Seems to me, most people at the beer league level want to take slap-shots because they don't know how to get the speed and power out of a wrist-shot. I have noticed the guys that know how to properly execute a wrist or snap shot snipe more goals than the guys that need a windup.

8 hours ago, syinx said:

I felt the same way for a while.  It was a bit of a mixture - my slapshot was never something I used much because a) it wasn't my best shot and I wasn't comfortable with it, and b) I was worried I'd break my sticks.  I'm also a centerman and I used it as an excuse to not take slapshots.

I then echoed the same sentiment to my shooting instructor at BASE hockey when I was doing shooting instruction and stick fitting.  He told me that it was a bad excuse - "It isn't that you never needed it, but you never played in a way that gave yourself the space to pull it off".  He told me that it's better to have it in the arsenal and not be afraid to use it when needed, than need it and refuse to/are unable to use it.

I got fit with a correct-flexing (both flex and flex region) and correctly-curved stick and stopped breaking sticks.  I still don't have a cannon of a shot, but I'm less afraid to hammer down and take the big clapper if the situation warrants it.  

I understand how you feel about finding a discontinued stick you love (I was that way about the Nexus 1000 sticks until the 1N came out), but I don't think it's a good thing if your gear reduces the weapons in your repertoire, whether physically due to badly-fitted equipment, or psychologically.

This is a pretty good story here. I didn't take many slapshots when I started playing. As I got more comfortable with the mechanics and the power I could put behind a slapshot, I started analyzing when I could utilize this. To your point, I don't take very many slapshots, but if I have the space to take one in the slot or from the point, I will let it rip if it makes sense. As you said, it's good to have it in the arsenal of possibilities.

For the reasons I don't take slapshots about 70% is because I'm not good at them and 30% I don't want to break sticks.

I've only broke one stick in my life and that was a wooden one.

11 hours ago, tonguesOUT4life said:

Who avoids taking slap shots because they don't wanna break their sticks ?? I never take slap shots, my sticks are my babies and they are too expensive to replace and the worst part is that I'm so in love with total one nxgs and cannot use any other stick.. Am I missing out and limiting myself ?? 

Sticks are pretty dang expensive but that shouldnt limit your use of them. They are designed to be high performance tools. If you are gonna spend a ton on high end sticks then you should use every last fiber of carbon in that stick to your benefit. Take big clappers, beat the hell out of it, get the performance you pay for. You wouldnt buy a muscle car only to poke around town at 20mph. 

I'm a slapper guy and people hate it. I've been clocked at over 90 mph so maybe that's why. 

so I take a lot of them.  45 goals in 22 games. Probably 3/4 claps. Sometimes it's douchey but not really here to make friends on other teams. I think people should shoot more in general. People don't take enough shots I find and wonder why they don't score much. 

1 hour ago, bubaloo said:

I'm a slapper guy and people hate it. I've been clocked at over 90 mph so maybe that's why. 

so I take a lot of them.  45 goals in 22 games. Probably 3/4 claps. Sometimes it's douchey but not really here to make friends on other teams. I think people should shoot more in general. People don't take enough shots I find and wonder why they don't score much. 

To your point, I find far too many people are more concerned about dangling and being fancy rather than shooting. Most moves fail and turn the puck over anyway. Shots on net result in potentially more goals. I'm puzzled some games.

I'm not afraid to take a slap shot - I just don't do it often because my style of play is more of a shifty, in tight space game and I'm not trying to win any hardest shot trophies.  If I have room I'll take it if the play calls for it.  

To me it's not so much the slapshots or one timers... It's the other things players do with their sticks.  

Most sticks that break are wrecked from hacks and slashes on them. One good weak spot and a wrister will snap them. The average  beer leaguer usually doesn't have the strength to break an undamaged stick with a slap shot. It's the upper league guys that do. On most slappers  players are lucky to get their sticks parallel to the ice. You only get the full wind up if you are skating into it or a one timer. To big of a wind up lets the other player close the gaps which can make the shot useless. Sometimes a short backswing or even a good wrister is the better option. 

3 hours ago, bubaloo said:

Firing slapshots into crowds in beer leagues won't win you friends on either bench.

3 hours ago, bubaloo said:

Get out of the FFF league and maybe go to B?  Just a thought. 

15 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

Firing slapshots into crowds in beer leagues won't win you friends on either bench.

As long as the shots are kept below the waist, people need to stop whining about it.  If they're afraid to get hit on the lower body, they should go play a sport that doesn't involve projectiles.

On the other hand, a shot of any kind above the waist is a douchebag move.

I've just transitioned from inline to ice, and when I played inline, majority of my shots were snappers. 

I played a scrimmage game a week ago and the league opener the weekend just past. In the scrimmage game we only had 2 subs, so I had plenty of ice time. I managed to get a couple of snappers away, and took two big slappers. At the end of the game, my team mates just told me to keep on shooting. In the league opener, I rang one off the post and another was blocked by traffic. 

I'm not hard on my sticks, and most have lasted a lot longer than they should. I need to add that my slappers are a modified snap shot... I do get a full windup, but my bottom hand doesnt move much down the shaft.

5 hours ago, kyleo29 said:

Sticks are pretty dang expensive but that shouldnt limit your use of them. They are designed to be high performance tools. If you are gonna spend a ton on high end sticks then you should use every last fiber of carbon in that stick to your benefit. Take big clappers, beat the hell out of it, get the performance you pay for. You wouldnt buy a muscle car only to poke around town at 20mph. 

But you also wouldn't buy a muscle car to go 20+ mph over the speed limit. Argument goes both ways.

I say do what works for you. I feel more confident in my wrist shot by far, and that happens to work for my budget too. Could I score more if I took a ton of slapshots? Definitely. But it's not worth it to me for how much I play and the process of cutting/prepping sticks.

34 minutes ago, boo10 said:

As long as the shots are kept below the waist, people need to stop whining about it.  If they're afraid to get hit on the lower body, they should go play a sport that doesn't involve projectiles.

On the other hand, a shot of any kind above the waist is a douchebag move.

You sound like the nhl rule book with head shots......either its kewl to take slapshots in beer league or its not, when substituting power for accuracy which is what happens when choosing a slapshot over a wrister/snapper , sometimes they go high. Don't  make a grey area on the subject.

As for avoiding slapshots to save sticks, thats just silly. Thats like not playing center, going into the corners or to the front of the net because you might take some form of contact to your stick.

I use to be really hard on my sticks, but as soon as i stopped worrying about them it stopped being an issue. Just MHO.

I might ease up a little in warmup or practice, but not in games (and this is adult league). I also use a two piece and always break the blades and not the shaft. I go through about 3 blades a year, but a shaft lasts me years.

I take them all the time when I play defense, not so much as a forward. My shooting motion doesn't take a lot of ice to load the stick, so I don't really worry about it. My slapper isn't all that fast, only 70ish, but I put a lot of spin on the puck and a half power slapper is a lot more accurate than a full power wrister from 40 feet out.

2 hours ago, All Flash said:

You sound like the nhl rule book with head shots......either its kewl to take slapshots in beer league or its not, when substituting power for accuracy which is what happens when choosing a slapshot over a wrister/snapper , sometimes they go high. Don't  make a grey area on the subject.

As for avoiding slapshots to save sticks, thats just silly. Thats like not playing center, going into the corners or to the front of the net because you might take some form of contact to your stick.

I use to be really hard on my sticks, but as soon as i stopped worrying about them it stopped being an issue. Just MHO.

I respectfully disagree. If you aren't skilled enough to control the height of your shot, you have no business winding up for the big slapper.  I've been playing for 40 years, so I can control the height of my shots, even under pressure.  Only excuse for a head high shot is a deflection.

Just how I feel about it, but then again, I'm fairly confident that I'll never be responsible for causing serious injury to an opponent or teammate.  I have strong feelings on the subject of safe play because I once suffered a potentially life threatening injury due to the stupidity of an opponent.

Playing in LA I've noticed a lot of guys don't go for the slap shot, or shoot ever, really. I like to think it's because of an area told how great Gretzky was, so most players think they have to dangle and do the fanciest move possible to score a goal. This always works out best at pick up sessions when the east coast guys start to cycle and score the garbage goals.

Not trying to sound superior or anything, but I definitely see a difference in styles of play from the different coasts.