Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jason

Bauer 3D Skate Lab

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Vet88 said:

I think it's the first necessary step to where custom skate production will move to. Scan the foot then build the boot in a 3D printer from the scan. Mass custom production done easily and from anywhere in the world (once the scan stations are rolled out). If this was the case, would you honestly buy anything else except....

It's off topic but I'm really interested in seeing how well the 70k works. I like the idea of a boot that will flex through the mid section so it follows the shape of your foot as it bends, more like how a shoe flexes instead of a rigid boot. I hope Bauer does some work on this. 

Classic Grafs and Microns did that really well.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bauer put out another video on the 3D Skate Lab as it's in some stores today.

In a nutshell, it scans both feet within 4 seconds then gives you a 3d rendering of your feet, complete with measurements (it'll measure exact length, so a 7 1/4 for example.)  At that point, you can manipulate the scan to focus on abnormalities or instep height.

Then, the next step is to find the fit.

It uses algorithms to put you into one of their existing skate lines.  At that point, you can play around with different widths and lengths as the 3d render is superimposed onto the skate it's chosen for you, and see what happens to the fit.  It will also allow you to change skate lines (and yes, obviously the more experienced fitters will be able to translate the information into competing lines) and indicate in which areas you fail in.

It is a performance fit, so if you are fitting someone for comfort or growth, you'd have to adjust the slider to reflect the bigger size.

As previously stated in another thread, we can reference the 3d scan when we fit someone for a custom skate, however, at this time, will have to fill out the traditional spec sheet as well.  I believe in the near future, the custom skate spec sheet will be baked into the software.

 

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Bauer put out another video on the 3D Skate Lab as it's in some stores today.

In a nutshell, it scans both feet within 4 seconds then gives you a 3d rendering of your feet, complete with measurements (it'll measure exact length, so a 7 1/4 for example.)  At that point, you can manipulate the scan to focus on abnormalities or instep height.

Then, the next step is to find the fit.

It uses algorithms to put you into one of their existing skate lines.  At that point, you can play around with different widths and lengths as the 3d render is superimposed onto the skate it's chosen for you, and see what happens to the fit.  It will also allow you to change skate lines (and yes, obviously the more experienced fitters will be able to translate the information into competing lines) and indicate in which areas you fail in.

It is a performance fit, so if you are fitting someone for comfort or growth, you'd have to adjust the slider to reflect the bigger size.

As previously stated in another thread, we can reference the 3d scan when we fit someone for a custom skate, however, at this time, will have to fill out the traditional spec sheet as well.  I believe in the near future, the custom skate spec sheet will be baked into the software.

Sounds interesting and definitely would be fun to try. What is performance fit? Is that with toes curled until the skates break in a bit?

I found some eBay skates to experiment with smaller sizes, from 10 Mission / 9.5 Graf up to 10 and 10.5 Graf where I used to wear an 11 Graf. The smaller sizes felt ok for turning, but the inability of my forefoot and toes to expand took away all quickness and explosiveness. Later I also noticed my heel didn't seem to line up with the form of the boot in the smaller sizes. At the end of it all, I found I could do a 10 Graf if I had POWERFOOT inserts to alleviate the most intense isolated pressure points on the toes and a 10.5 is probably better than the 11 was: enough room for my foot to expand and flex a bit, but not so much that it feels sloppy.  I thought I'd try the Coffey experience, but found it was not for me. I'm just curious where on that scale of sizes the performance fit might be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I second the motion of wanting to try this. It sounds cool, I initially thought this was going to be Bauer's big push into producing custom skates for the masses but this sounds like a great technology that could lead to other possibilities. Thanks for sharing this information. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Cost to the consumer?  None, but obviously if a store is looking to making that rolled into a fitting fee, that’s their prerogative.

 

Do LHS buy those from Bauer or is it a "permanent loaner" kind of deal. If LHS does not pay for it, it would make sense for Bauer to have a no-fee condition. Seems to me that if LHS decides to charge a fee for the use of this scanner, it will defeat machines full marketing potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kgbeast said:

Do LHS buy those from Bauer or is it a "permanent loaner" kind of deal. If LHS does not pay for it, it would make sense for Bauer to have a no-fee condition. Seems to me that if LHS decides to charge a fee for the use of this scanner, it will defeat machines full marketing potential.

I am not at a level that makes those decisions. 

I believe that there is a cost to them that the retailer has to pay. They aren’t in every store, though - they’ve been strategically placed around North America. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got to do this at a trade show last year in Gatineau.  The guy running it made fun of my huge feet but the rendering was true to what I should wear as I tried on the new 1X's (a skate that I never thought I'd fit into) in a wide and they were perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is awesome if it leads to custom skates! 

You mentioned “imperfections”, would that include bumps and oddities that VH worked around for me? Or I guess that’s only going to really be possible once they take this to go full custom?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what happens if you fit into an in-between size? 7-1/4 in the example used?  You either have to use a 1/4 size up or down (7 or 7.5) or order custom skates?

Also, is there going to be a listing online as to what location these are in or are you just going to have to go to the local store to see?

Edited by shooter27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, shooter27 said:

So what happens if you fit into an in-between size? 7-1/4 in the example used?  You either have to use a 1/4 size up or down (7 or 7.5) or order custom skates?

Also, is there going to be a listing online as to what location these are in or are you just going to have to go to the local store to see?

Just like what you would do normally. At least with this, it’ll show you the room lost/gained by going in either direction.

I’m sure they’ll have a listing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

This is awesome if it leads to custom skates! 

You mentioned “imperfections”, would that include bumps and oddities that VH worked around for me? Or I guess that’s only going to really be possible once they take this to go full custom?

Not every abnormality requires custom skates. An experienced fitter can fix things with retail boots. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, shooter27 said:

Also, is there going to be a listing online as to what location these are in or are you just going to have to go to the local store to see?

https://www.bauer.com/innovations/3d-skate-lab 

When you search for nearest retailers there will be a specific icon denoting which retailers currently have one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, dkmiller3356 said:

Is there any advantage in using the 3D lab for someone getting custom Bauers?

Yes.  The factory can get the 3d render and can reference it and the measurements the machine takes.  At this point, we still have to submit the same way as before.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I definitely would like to try this as I'm wondering if the Nexus I am in are truly the best fit for my feet vs. a vapor or supreme in wide.  It looks like right now the closest one is 90 miles away so hopefully they get them into more stores in the near future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mojo122 said:

https://www.bauer.com/innovations/3d-skate-lab 

When you search for nearest retailers there will be a specific icon denoting which retailers currently have one.

Many thanks @mojo122 

According to the site, the Five Hole in Raleigh, NC has a 3D Skate Lab. They don't mention it on their site but it isn't out of the ordinary for their site to be about a year behind reality. @Wolfpack_1986 do you know if they've got a Lab? I don't need skates, but I'd like to see the tech in action the next time I'm down that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, dkmiller3356 said:

No surprise but nothing on Long Island.  3.2 million residents yet LI continues to be the black hole of hockey knowledge.

It's payback for what Nassau did to the Islanders :P

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, there is one north and one south of LA as for the entire SoCal. I am personally could not care less, but if I would, it is 66 miles in pretty diabolical traffic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Kgbeast said:

Well, there is one north and one south of LA as for the entire SoCal. I am personally could not care less, but if I would, it is 66 miles in pretty diabolical traffic.

Is there one at the discount hockey superstore in Woodland Hills?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...