Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Let's see if he brings them out for any game trials again then. I remember Keith's name also coming in a thread about Bauer custom skates, where he wasn't happy with his boots over several pairs in a row. Since he wore VH for a length of time in the game, I imagine he's been testing them out in practice for a while. Maybe it just wasn't time yet, or maybe he is done with them, we'll see.

I hear ya, I have the same issue with my VH (just over a year now / 2-3 games & reffing a week on average). I will try using the old MLX screws I kept next before deciding to get another pair or not. Still think the VH are so comfortable, that going to another brand will be almost impossible due to a big bone near the big toe.

After a year and a half, I noticed the front rivets were a bit loose. So I had this done recently. Supposedly steel rivets are needed to prevent a holder from moving laterally but I think this should be a good combination of steel and copper rivets. And the fact that some of the synthetic leather goes between the holder and the composite VH boot provides plenty of lateral grip between the boot and the front tower.

VHrivets.jpg

Maybe the rivet system that started back when steel holders were attached to leather boots has become inadequate for today's composite soles and needs to be replaced by something better. On the other hand, I just had a look at a 50-year-old pair of Super Tacks that I have in my basement and it has 2 copper rivets at the toe!

• Like 2

Getting frustrated with rivets loosening or popping out on a regular basis. Seems like 1-2 times a month replacing them. Though I love the fit, thinking of going to mako 2's or try another brand to not have such high maintenance and ongoing costs.

what are you using for holders?

I had Scott install 8 copper rivets in my sons skates, 4 in the front and 4 in the back. On every pair of skates he has owned he has trouble keeping rivets in them. Not sure why they loosen up on his skates, but he hasn't yet had a problem with his VH skates. If they do start coming loose I'm just going to install Graf skews.

I had Scott install 8 copper rivets in my sons skates, 4 in the front and 4 in the back. On every pair of skates he has owned he has trouble keeping rivets in them. Not sure why they loosen up on his skates, but he hasn't yet had a problem with his VH skates. If they do start coming loose I'm just going to install Graf skews.

Did he do the 4 in the very front of the 6 aavailable?

I'm using LS2 holders.

Scott put two on each side in front and back. He suggested doing this when I told him how much trouble we have had keeping rivets in my son's skates. https://db.tt/vWhZOcgI

Hmm... The first rivets to loosen on my skates were at the toe so it made more sense to me to change those to copper. The biggest reason for changing the rivets at the rear of the front tower was because I always feel the bump a steel rivet makes right under the joint of my big toe.

Just sent a payment to scott. Finally pulling the trigger on these. Thank god the usd is doing so strong.

Scotts been great and hes very accommodating.

Ordered the suggested modifications. Flexible tendon guard, carbon toecap/plastidip comfort edge and single felt tongue.

Cant wait to skate in them. Just ordered step blacksteel from noicing in cxn runners and had them profiled.

I changed my mind at the last minute about the custom color. Scott said he got it right before they stitched it up. Sounds like they move fast because i just placed the order this weekend.

I'm going to try some of these (with the flanges snipped off) the next time a rivet comes out of my VHs (assuming they fit without drilling).

May suggest against this. I think the larger base-plate would be felt on your foot and not flush against the differing in height/shape in sole of the skate. Also not sure how these will stand up. Have replaced many of these on my goalie pad toe bridges when they rust and snap - they're not coated.

Would suggest trying traditional copper rivets before going this route.

Whats that wrapped around his ankle?

I think it's just tape. It looks like Keith imitated Brian Leetch's 80's-style ankle-immobilizing tape. It's the reason why Keith looks kind of like a baby deer when he skates. He's mobile and all, but he has absolutely minimal ankle action, which actually loses him some races from time to time. Can't imagine he could get himself to go without it at all. Can't really argue with his hardware though.

leetch.jpg

Edited by flip12

Jagr's long had a heel-sling elastic band, going way back to 20+years ago. I've never seen him in shot-blockers, though. I thought about that too, for Keith's skates. Hard to tell from the pictures.

On a different note...

A little show and tell?

1041338_3.jpg

Or also loose rivets?

1041334_3.jpg

I think it's just tape. It looks like Keith imitated Brian Leetch's 80's-style ankle-immobilizing tape. It's the reason why Keith looks kind of like a baby deer when he skates. He's mobile and all, but he has absolutely minimal ankle action, which actually loses him some races from time to time. Can't imagine he could get himself to go without it at all. Can't really argue with his hardware though.

leetch.jpg

I was wondering if it was some kind of sleeve meant to prevent cuts or something, since it doesn't look like it's keeping him from flexing his ankles. *shrug* carry on!

But if you look back at when he was younger, he definitely did use tape, going up even higher on his tendon guard and tongue, and it certainly had an effect on the ankle action in conjunction with his skate (which to me, watching his skating, it looks like this current treatment still does).

91372154_slide.jpg

Edited by flip12

May suggest against this. I think the larger base-plate would be felt on your foot and not flush against the differing in height/shape in sole of the skate. Also not sure how these will stand up. Have replaced many of these on my goalie pad toe bridges when they rust and snap - they're not coated.

I've used 6-32 T-Nuts of that type before and they're flatter than the bulges created by steel rivets so feeling them would not be a problem. And if you air out your skates after every use like you should, they'll still rust but not any quicker than steel rivets. And they're stronger than steel rivets. But still my first choice, like I showed in post #884, would be copper rivets which I doubt will loosen in my lifetime.

Edited by Larry54

I recall hearing that Jagr uses those straps (or tape) to improve heel lock with his skates by further pushing his heel and ankle back into the skate.

I think that is highly unlike.

Jagr has custom skates, why would he accept skates that dont fit right?

I think that is highly unlike.

Jagr has custom skates, why would he accept skates that dont fit right?

Even with custom and agressive skating he could be getting a bit of movement from front to back in the skate I guess. Perhaps it's just a personal preference to keep things really tight so that he isn't re-tying to keep things super tight.

Even with custom and agressive skating he could be getting a bit of movement from front to back in the skate I guess. Perhaps it's just a personal preference to keep things really tight so that he isn't re-tying to keep things super tight.

^This. I watched an older guy skate in "vintage" hockey skates for years, where he preferred to wrap a shoe lace around his ankle and a shoe lace around his forefoot for stability. When he bought a brand new pair of Bauers, guess what, he does the same lace thing!

He was rockin' something similar to these for quite awhile:

BlackPanthers1.jpg

Since I've been messing with my Makos and Mako IIs, I've gone the t-nut route. I actually have screws that stick up past the sole a good 1/4 inch and I don't feel them through the CCM footbed. So, I can't imagine the t-nut base plate would bother anyone. I've ordered shorter screws and once I have those in there won't be an issue at all, potential or otherwise.

This really is a great approach for people who want to try and tweak their skates though. After pulling rivets twice to put in shims, I was getting concerned about doing more. Now I don't have to worry about it. They will likely rust, but so do the stock rivets that I had. The copper rivets that were used when I put the shims in came lose within a couple weeks.

anyone in Ontario get these skates from an authorized dealer? Is there a go to guy?

Edge Performance in Oshawa or John Lake in Guelph or Jarette Rooney i guess their mobile rep in the GTA