Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

You will want to use a shoe horn when baking VH skates. They have some videos on their site of the baking process.

And I agree, absolutely common sense to loosen the skates more than you might otherwise due to the wrap.

No big deal, I'll just use the glue he suggested and problem solved.

What glue was recommended, Barge?

Be careful with any super glue product- use just enough to do the job. It will make the liner hard and potentially uncomfortable if you use too much. I would use Barge cement (be sure it's the type with tolune). It's used in shoe and boot manufacturing and won't make the liner as hard.

• Like 1

He actually asked if I had used a shoe horn while baking (which I had).

Rob gave me the name of a glue I should use to glue it back in, and said if I still have issues I can send them in for repair. (I confirmed that they would accept them for repair even after I attempted the fix myself).

Laser: do you use a shoehorn every time you put your skates on?

No, I unlace to the bottom fifth eyelet and take about 10 minutes to get the skates on. I get bruises on the tops of my feet putting the skates on because the eyelet vamping is too small for my foot even when heated and rolled out.

Needless to say I don't skate in them much.

Be careful with any super glue product- use just enough to do the job. It will make the liner hard and potentially uncomfortable if you use too much. I would use Barge cement (be sure it's the type with tolune). It's used in shoe and boot manufacturing and won't make the liner as hard.

I'll ask him about it.

It's funny to me how people with proselytize for VH to almost no end, but then readily acknowledge things like "they should ship with a bottle of super glue" or whatever other small repairs you have to make. I know build quality isn't the be-all end-all of equipment choice, and that all skates need repairs over time, but for being custom skates, it seems like people have to tinker with these and awful lot.

It's funny to me how people with proselytize for VH to almost no end, but then readily acknowledge things like "they should ship with a bottle of super glue" or whatever other small repairs you have to make. I know build quality isn't the be-all end-all of equipment choice, and that all skates need repairs over time, but for being custom skates, it seems like people have to tinker with these and awful lot.

Other than switching out the insoles (which I've done on all my skates), I haven't had to do any "tinkering".

A large portion of VH customers ended up in them due to fit issues with other brands. Many will tolerate a bit of tinkering if it means skating pain free.

• Like 1

Not to mention, people are less likely to report in that their skate is a-ok compared to when there are some issues to mention (minor or not)

I would suggest you not buy them, then. If having a custom fit skate isn't worth the little bit of tinkering you may need to do or the possibility of minor issues because its not mass-produced and therefore a bit more prone to error, simply don't buy them.

Also the "bottle of glue" comment wasn't a serious comment, it was sarcasm.

Edited by OptimusReim

Even custom skates made by the big brands aren't a perfect fit out of the box. We'd have pros come in where I worked. One Summer Manny Malhotra came in with a brand new pair of skates still in the box. He spent a good hour just baking, punching and cutting his tongues. After all that modification he still had to transfer these gel inserts that he's been using for some time from his old skates.

• Like 1

Even custom skates made by the big brands aren't a perfect fit out of the box. We'd have pros come in where I worked. One Summer Manny Malhotra came in with a brand new pair of skates still in the box. He spent a good hour just baking, punching and cutting his tongues. After all that modification he still had to transfer these gel inserts that he's been using for some time from his old skates.

A better example may be the piles of "pro return" Bauer skates (for example) available at many retailers. They were returned/refused for a reason...

• Like 1

Anyone have tips on tracing?

I can't seem to hold the pen the proper way. Either I angle it too much and the tracing is way wider than my foot or it's too much up and down.

Also, when you are tracing your arch what is the best way to do this? I keep tracing into the arch rather than the width. Ugh.

Maybe I'm just making it complicated but it's really hard to do by yourself.

Edit - Sorry didn't see that there was another page. OR answered my question about shoe horn usage.

And no, after baking there's no need to use the shoe horn each time.

Bdb94 - It's best to have someone else do the tracing for you to get the proper angle. You're looking for a slight slant inward to the foot throughout the entire foot, including the arch.

If you're doing it properly you should have a fairly good approximation of your foot shape. There is a margin of error allowed and considered. Always a bit better to do the tracing a bit snugger than loose, if that makes sense.

Edited by Davetronz

Sure, but usually not because the glue was letting go on components of the boot.

My point was that every manufacture has skates that have issues in some respect or another.

As far as the liner issue, in the baking instructions provided by the manufacturer it is advised to always use a shoe horn on a hot boot. This is done to prevent the issue Optimus had. It's hard to fault the manufacture in that case where the instructions were ignored.

My point was that every manufacture has skates that have issues in some respect or another.

As far as the liner issue, in the baking instructions provided by the manufacturer it is advised to always use a shoe horn on a hot boot. This is done to prevent the issue Optimus had. It's hard to fault the manufacture in that case where the instructions were ignored.

Who ignored the instructions?

Just got my tracings done and sending the email tomorrow.

Anyone have experience with the one piece tendon guard versus the old one (you can choose if I'm correct)? I don't know the size of the holders I need so I'm just leaving it as "Standard". My old skates dont fit my feet so I don't have anything to go by anyways.

I'm thinking of going:

Enhanced metarsal guard tongue

One piece tendon guard

Enhanced shot blocking

Definitely go with the new 1-piece tendon guard. It is new and improved over the old design, is easier to replace (should it break), and feels a lot better on the leg, especially after baking.

I agree with the options that you've chosen - they're all good picks.

• Like 1

Thanks! One last question if you don't mind, like I said I don't know my skate size exactly because I've been hopping around in different boots and sizes because of my ill fitting foot.

I did the math on the tracings and converted to inches and it says I'm 9.5 but my US shoe size is 8.5. Can they determine the proper skate size or should I go try on pairs to make certain?

Example: I am skating in a Supreme 170 6.0 D but probably could've gone with 6.5 or 7. I feel too much of the toe caps after baking and punching.

Thanks all for your help, about ready to submit today.

Thanks! One last question if you don't mind, like I said I don't know my skate size exactly because I've been hopping around in different boots and sizes because of my ill fitting foot.

I did the math on the tracings and converted to inches and it says I'm 9.5 but my US shoe size is 8.5. Can they determine the proper skate size or should I go try on pairs to make certain?

Example: I am skating in a Supreme 170 6.0 D but probably could've gone with 6.5 or 7. I feel too much of the toe caps after baking and punching.

Thanks all for your help, about ready to submit today.

It's a custom skate built based on your foot tracings, there is no "size". The skate will fit your foot without assigning a number to it. That said, they will install the appropriate size holders for the skate, or tell you what size to buy if you choose to buy/mount your own holders.

I figured as such just wanted to make sure haha. I put "standard" for holder size and I'll make sure to include in the email just matching the size of the skate.

Thank you!

I figured as such just wanted to make sure haha. I put "standard" for holder size and I'll make sure to include in the email just matching the size of the skate.

Thank you!

Exactly that. I've had players go from a size 9 off-the-shelf skate that they were fitted in incorrectly, down to the equivalent of a VH 7 or 8. What you're wearing now is not overly important, unless you're between sizes for holders and steel and would prefer oversized 272 instead of 263. The tracings and measurements will get you the correct size.