Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

11 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

They had two when I ordered, both with thermo plastic. Mine was the "regular", and the one with enhanced metatarsal wasn't able to be embroidered.

My felt tongues have no plastic in them. Was able to order the other ones that do have it but they are completely different from the felt ones. 

You have the goalie skates correct? Maybe they have a specific tongue different from the player skate?

*edit

just looking through the VH site, the second set I received was their low profile tongue, I thought that was the only thermo plastic one they had but stand corrected.

Edited by nicker87

1 hour ago, nicker87 said:

My felt tongues have no plastic in them. Was able to order the other ones that do have it but they are completely different from the felt ones. 

You have the goalie skates correct? Maybe they have a specific tongue different from the player skate?

*edit

just looking through the VH site, the second set I received was their low profile tongue, I thought that was the only thermo plastic one they had but stand corrected.

Same tongue. Maybe they just have different offerings compared to when I got mine.

My son has had VH skates for about 6 months now, so I thought that I would  write a quick review.

Background:  He is a prep school player on the ice 5 or 6 times per week year 'round. He is about 6 feet tall and 170 pounds.

Skating ability: Excellent skater with great edge work .

Previous skates: Bauer MX3

Set-up: Lightspeed 2 holders with Stepsteel

Initial impressions: He immediately found the skates to be the most responsive skates he had ever tried. Instantly comfortable. He first skated on them on a Wednesday, then after one more time on them he used them in a tournament where he played 6 games. No blisters or discomfort, just smiles.

Durability  : The outside plastic decal separated from the boot. The company fixed them quickly (1 week) and the fitting center lent my son a pair of their demo skates to use while his pair went back to the factory. They came back as good as new.  It does seem they lose rivets regularly, though OTG fixes any missing or loose ones when we get them sharpened.

Bottom line:  these skates seem to have an unbelievable combination of comfort and performance. It would be hard to imagine using anything else.

Edited by Jordan
  • Like 2

Still getting numb toes. Just tightening the first 5 or 6 eyelets snug and tightening the eyelets around ankle pretty tight. And the top couple snug. Anyone else have any tips for numb toes? Stock tongues.  Currently using both red footbed and grey insole. Any ideas would be appreciated. THanks. 

9 minutes ago, Chip N Chase said:

Still getting numb toes. Just tightening the first 5 or 6 eyelets snug and tightening the eyelets around ankle pretty tight. And the top couple snug. Anyone else have any tips for numb toes? Stock tongues.  Currently using both red footbed and grey insole. Any ideas would be appreciated. THanks. 

Did you re-bake?

Insoles are grey now? Are they the same as the older yellow ones?

I would re bake and use your hands to push down on the area where the numbness is occurring. That should make the sidewalls "bow" out a bit to give you more room. Also try taking out the red insole . 

So after reading through this thread pretty much cover to cover and having a few discussions with the guys at VH (who have been awesome at dealing with me and all my questions) I took the plunge and ordered a pair about a week ago. Lead time should be about 4 weeks, and as I live in Sweden I assume there will be about a week for delivery. The anticipation is killing me. I can't wait to get them home, bake them and take them out for a skate.

• Like 1

What would you wear if you had your pick of any of the skates on the market? It's one of those questions I think about, as I imagine other MSHers do as well, quite often. Well, Sergei Shirokov may be a study in that merry-go-round: He was a long-time Vapor guy but switched to VH a couple of years ago. Apparently he wasn't sure of them though, going through JetSpeeds, Super Tacks, 1N's after his initial run in VHs but now he's back in a rather ugly custom order of their recent version:

1396492_2.jpg

What a fickle guy.

• Like 1

Yeah, not many do. A lot of tongues-out guys end up tongues-in, like Statsny. I think Kulikov flopped his VHs for a while. He's another try-everything for his feet.

Is it normal for the tendon guard to wiggle on the skate? its got some wiggle now. Just curious of that's normal. Doesn't seem like its affecting the skate, just curious. Also I'm a tongues out guy. always have been. Maybe because I use shorter shinpads. 

I had a tendon guard fall off. I'm not sure what model you have but on mine a copper rivet held it in place. I replaced it with t nut. Has since worked fine for me. I think you can add glue as well. That would reduce the wiggle without sending it back and waiting without skates for a couple of weeks.

Went to pull the trigger on VH's last night.

Their pricing is misleading....

$799 - no holders or steel

$909 - Tuuk holders plus ls3 steel

$20 - delivery

plus tax.

$1030 or something

I was in for $799 but it seems like it holders should be built into the price?

....back to ebay

• Like 1

Yea, I'm torn on VH or trying something else. Currently rock the Mako 2's and would get another pair but can't find 9.5EE pair(s). I would be able to write off the VHs and the custom fit would be nice as an official. That price tag is a lot to stomach though...

They are worth the 1030$. Hold off and save up. These skates are like wearing running shoes. Amazing comfort. And it changes how you perform, tighter turns, first couple strides. But the fit is everything,  feels like they were made for you. Because they are. I drank the kool-aid. Glad I did. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hergs said:

$20 - delivery

plus tax.

$1030 or something

....back to ebay

Now you just have to find an eBay seller with exactly the same feet shape as you who is selling VH skates cheap and you'll be all set!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, hergs said:

$20 - delivery

plus tax.

$1030 or something

....back to ebay

Not trying to gang up on your or beat a dead horse, but if you in the US if you where to buy LS Edge holders at $35 each and a set of LS3 steel at $70 your looking at $140 total.  VH is only charging you $110 if you look at it like that shipping is free and you're saving $10.  

I do understand where you are coming from though.  You go online and it says $799, because its not until the second page does it charge you for holders and steel.

Edited by strosedefence34

Curious about skate hollow after switching over to VH. All my life I used a 1/2 inch hollow as my go to. I feel now that the 1/2 inch is really sharp. I can really dig in on turns. I'm wondering if I should bump it down to a 5/8 hollow. Anyone do the same?

53 minutes ago, Chip N Chase said:

Curious about skate hollow after switching over to VH. All my life I used a 1/2 inch hollow as my go to. I feel now that the 1/2 inch is really sharp. I can really dig in on turns. I'm wondering if I should bump it down to a 5/8 hollow. Anyone do the same?

Definitely go down. It was recommended by @oldtrainerguy28 who did my fitting. I've gone from 3/8 in my old skates to 5/8 and now at 11/16 and considering 3/4. Give 5/8 a try you won't regret it. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chip N Chase said:

When I went from Bauer Flexlites to VH both on LS2 steel, I went from 1/2 to 5/8 and kept that for 3 years. With my new pair of VH skates with Step steel, I recently went to 11/16 and it's working very well for me. I don't know yet if I'll try 3/4 at the next sharpening. And for reference I only weigh 140-145 lbs.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Larry54 said:
8 hours ago, Chip N Chase said:

Regarding hollow, before I realized I was over pronating I needed 1/4" cut, believe it or not. I  never dreamed of doing any thing like what people said I should have. I needed the sharp skates so my legs would not slide out from under me. I never knew why until a few years ago.

I then had orthotics made because I learned that I was over pronating. After this I could immediately go to 5/8-1/2" ROH, something I did not even dream about.

With 1/4" ROH I was literally cutting through the ice and feeling the burn in my thighs a hell of a lot of work! I was pooped at the end of a shift.  Now I am on top of the ice more with my COG over my edges and holding my edges and skating more fluently and far easier.

With the VH  Skates any pronation issue is corrected with a built in orthotic putting you over your center of gravity and likewise your edges.

Alan