Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

2 minutes ago, SolarWind said:

quick one: what insoles do folks use in True custom skates? the stock setup with 2 different insoles sandwiched in is odd, and it doesn't look like something like superfeet is warranted since the skate is so anatomical already  (including instep) so would just a basic flat insole from Bauer skates work better?

The ones that came with it are great.  No issues and no desire to change. I tried speedplates at first but there was no point.  

3 minutes ago, jgold47 said:

The ones that came with it are great.  No issues and no desire to change. I tried speedplates at first but there was no point.  

I totally see how speedplates would be an overkill, but what is the purpose of having 2 insoles vs 1?

1 minute ago, SolarWind said:

I totally see how speedplates would be an overkill, but what is the purpose of having 2 insoles vs 1?

A slight amount of adjustability. The red one is very thin and like a rubber and I almost think it’s to keep the other one from slipping around and/or cover over any imperfections in the sole.   I’m a big insole guy, and have tried virtually all of them and really enjoy the stock ones.   

1 minute ago, jgold47 said:

A slight amount of adjustability. The red one is very thin and like a rubber and I almost think it’s to keep the other one from slipping around and/or cover over any imperfections in the sole.   I’m a big insole guy, and have tried virtually all of them and really enjoy the stock ones.   

thanks for the insight!
does this 'sandwich' make it too squishy? I also tried different insoles and always came back to stock Bauer ones with carbon fiber insert under the toes and the most responsive ones hence the question.

3 minutes ago, SolarWind said:

thanks for the insight!
does this 'sandwich' make it too squishy? I also tried different insoles and always came back to stock Bauer ones with carbon fiber insert under the toes and the most responsive ones hence the question.

no not at all.  I've been a speedplate guy generally and like the stiff feeling under my feet, but these are not 'squishy' at all.  The red piece is very thin and not really anything special.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SolarWind said:

quick one: what insoles do folks use in True custom skates? the stock setup with 2 different insoles sandwiched in is odd, and it doesn't look like something like superfeet is warranted since the skate is so anatomical already  (including instep) so would just a basic flat insole from Bauer skates work better?

For me the stock insoles are a bit too squishy for me. Having the red in there as well felt too padded. If I were to wear the stock insoles I'd wear them solo. I use speedplates bc I like how firm it is and feels more locked in due to less movement from foam compressing. The speed plates aren't overkill since they just conform to the arch in the boot and also ur feet. 

Skated in my custom Trues for the first time, such a different experience wearing them vs all my other skates! I kept on thinking the skates are loose because there was zero pressure anywhere on my foot. But it wasn’t the case, the foot was locked up, but without any pressure points it must have been spread so evenly it felt like it wasn’t there. Best skate I’ve ever had, comparing with custom Bauer and CCM skates.
One thing is weird though: I thought the skates were very solidly built, but just after 1 skate I see the toe separating from the boot cover? Is that normal?

https://ibb.co/1mB9dPc

7 hours ago, SolarWind said:

Skated in my custom Trues for the first time, such a different experience wearing them vs all my other skates! I kept on thinking the skates are loose because there was zero pressure anywhere on my foot. But it wasn’t the case, the foot was locked up, but without any pressure points it must have been spread so evenly it felt like it wasn’t there. Best skate I’ve ever had, comparing with custom Bauer and CCM skates.
One thing is weird though: I thought the skates were very solidly built, but just after 1 skate I see the toe separating from the boot cover? Is that normal?

https://ibb.co/1mB9dPc

Purely cosmetic. You can use some super glue gel (or similar) and a clamp or tape to hold it while it cures if it bothers you. Just squirt a little bit in, and tape it down or use a ratchet clamp. 

Is True the only skate that says “custom” on them? That’s interesting branding. 

Other companies customs look more or less exactly like the retail versions, don’t they? 

2 hours ago, start_today said:

Other companies customs look more or less exactly like the retail versions, don’t they? 

CCM custom skates say "custom" on them. 

11 hours ago, start_today said:

Bauer skates have the My Bauer tag on the tongue 

I’ve been littering the tf9/7 topic with my questions so let me ask a few here. I’m currently in true tf9’s coming from Easton makos. I’ve gone back for a second baking on the tf9 to get more heel lock with success.

However the forefoot area just seems like it has to much volume. Right around the 4th eyelet and into the toe box has a lot of volume(just top and bottom not width) so I can raise the ball of my foot off the insole. Is this something that would be corrected in customs or is that the design of the toe box and I just need to get used to it. 

my makos I pretty much just pulled those eyelets so there’s no slack and didn’t need to tighten them where as the tf9 I’m cranking them down. And yes I’ve adjusted the tongue but then it sits weird on the rest of my foot 

19 hours ago, crispy92 said:

I’ve been littering the tf9/7 topic with my questions so let me ask a few here. I’m currently in true tf9’s coming from Easton makos. I’ve gone back for a second baking on the tf9 to get more heel lock with success.

However the forefoot area just seems like it has to much volume. Right around the 4th eyelet and into the toe box has a lot of volume(just top and bottom not width) so I can raise the ball of my foot off the insole. Is this something that would be corrected in customs or is that the design of the toe box and I just need to get used to it. 

my makos I pretty much just pulled those eyelets so there’s no slack and didn’t need to tighten them where as the tf9 I’m cranking them down. And yes I’ve adjusted the tongue but then it sits weird on the rest of my foot 

Insert a pair of Powerfoot and problem solved. I use them and am a huge fan. We sell a ton of them in my store for players who want a more locked in forefoot feel.

https://www.adrenalinedesign.ca/powerfoot/

5 hours ago, PBH said:

Insert a pair of Powerfoot and problem solved. I use them and am a huge fan. We sell a ton of them in my store for players who want a more locked in forefoot feel.

What size do you typically use with TF9's? #2 Easton Mako/VH SR6+ or #5 All Other Skates SR6+?

Edited by GP035

7 hours ago, PBH said:

Yes I have those it’s just been hard getting ice time to try them. I will say I don’t mind my toes having the volume I sort of like the ability to splay my toes like a running sneaker. It’s mainly just before the toes that’s the issue. I’ll have to adjust the tongue and add powerfoot. 

The store I got them from said they will take them back used if I opt for customs so I guess I still have time. I’m leaning towards just going custom as mentally the idea that they’re “perfect” for me puts me at ease. Many people seem to say they barely need to tie their skates to feel secure and that’s what I had w/ makos. However it seems many people also end up having to add insoles or powerfoot to make their customs work and I don’t want to splurge on $1000 skates for the same experience I have with the tf9

I picked up a pair of True pro stock skates, generation prior to current. They are new, but several eyelets are missing their backing. LHS indicated the Blademaster  XL black eyelets appear to be too short- what is everyone using for replacement eyelets?  

I was an early adopter of the VH skates in 2014.  I have a pair of trues now.  The tongue system on the trues absolutely sucks.  The VH tongues I had, had a nice robust piece of Velcro and the trues Barely have anything.  I pul the tongue from the Velcro whenever I put them on.  

has anyone come up with a solution or been able to replace the Velcro?

1 hour ago, iceman8310 said:

I was an early adopter of the VH skates in 2014.  I have a pair of trues now.  The tongue system on the trues absolutely sucks.  The VH tongues I had, had a nice robust piece of Velcro and the trues Barely have anything.  I pul the tongue from the Velcro whenever I put them on.  

has anyone come up with a solution or been able to replace the Velcro?

You could drill two small holes in the top of the toe box to make it compatible with CCM tongues.

I have question about heel lock. My right heel is bang on but my left isn’t locking well. It lifts up more. I have the tongue up as high as possible. Would putting it deeper in the toe box make for better heel lock? I may just get it re moulded. I’m too afraid to try it with a heat gun. It’s an hour drive to the place I bought them and the weather is not great. I just don’t know how much longer I can put up with it. 

Does anyone know where or how I can buy replacement tongues? My local shop where I got my skates said they can't get them. I'm looking for the newer TF Pro Custom tongue.

My shop says they can be ordered but they go through true custom. Best bet would be try sideline swap and pray you get lucky. Contacting true directly doesn’t seem to work as I never get anyone on the phone