Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, SolarWind said:

Excellent info, thanks gents!

My foot flattens also when pronated, so I’ll make sure to watch for alignment. 
Time of day is dictated by the rep availability for me so not a lot of wiggle room there. 

In that lunge position for scanning what’s the proper weight distribution between the front and the back leg? The more I load my foot the more my arch collapses…

Also what’s the most foolproof way to determine the length/width of the skates? In the past for Bauer and CCM customs I’d try a ton of retail models to find the closest match since scans for both brands are completely not reliable. But what about True?

Arch collapsing isn't necessarily the issue. Most arches do collapse a bit when bearing weight. My point was moreso to be aware of pronation of your ankle and knees bucking inward when bearing weight. Do lunges in front of a mirror. Do your knees naturally stay aligned with your hip and ankle or not? It they do, you don't really have anything to worry about. If they don't, it may affect the scan like I mentioned above. At the end of the day you should try to treat the pronation by strengthening your arches and leg muscles. YouTube fixing flat feet and there's tonnes of helpful tips out there regarding exercises and foam rolling etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2019 at 10:25 PM, shoot_the_goalie said:

If you have a convection oven at home that's in good working order, you really don't need to worry too much about messing up your skates as long as you follow the proper procedure.  I used to be anxious about baking skates at home, until I tried them out on some older pairs to test.  Never had a problem. But again, I follow the procedures (and manufacturer recommended temps) to a tee.

Even a high powered hair dryer can do the trick 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m on the verge of ordering my second pair of Trues. I’m a referee and they’ve served me well over 3 years and who knows how many games. I have a couple of concerns that may have been addressed but this thread is massive: 

To those of you who are return customers, has the process/quality changed from the past few years? I ordered in 2018.

When I ordered my current skates, I requested they do something about a problem I have with my medial malleolus. It is larger on my right and low and sits further forward. I suggested increasing the medial facing but left that determination up to them in the notes. This request was ignored while the others were taken care of. It causes significant pain after a couple of games and I haven’t found a solution. Would increasing the facing in that area help? Who can I contact when I reorder to ensure it’s addressed?

 

Edited by jared9356

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quick one: what insoles do folks use in True custom skates? the stock setup with 2 different insoles sandwiched in is odd, and it doesn't look like something like superfeet is warranted since the skate is so anatomical already  (including instep) so would just a basic flat insole from Bauer skates work better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SolarWind said:

quick one: what insoles do folks use in True custom skates? the stock setup with 2 different insoles sandwiched in is odd, and it doesn't look like something like superfeet is warranted since the skate is so anatomical already  (including instep) so would just a basic flat insole from Bauer skates work better?

The ones that came with it are great.  No issues and no desire to change. I tried speedplates at first but there was no point.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jgold47 said:

The ones that came with it are great.  No issues and no desire to change. I tried speedplates at first but there was no point.  

I totally see how speedplates would be an overkill, but what is the purpose of having 2 insoles vs 1?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SolarWind said:

I totally see how speedplates would be an overkill, but what is the purpose of having 2 insoles vs 1?

A slight amount of adjustability. The red one is very thin and like a rubber and I almost think it’s to keep the other one from slipping around and/or cover over any imperfections in the sole.   I’m a big insole guy, and have tried virtually all of them and really enjoy the stock ones.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jgold47 said:

A slight amount of adjustability. The red one is very thin and like a rubber and I almost think it’s to keep the other one from slipping around and/or cover over any imperfections in the sole.   I’m a big insole guy, and have tried virtually all of them and really enjoy the stock ones.   

thanks for the insight!
does this 'sandwich' make it too squishy? I also tried different insoles and always came back to stock Bauer ones with carbon fiber insert under the toes and the most responsive ones hence the question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SolarWind said:

thanks for the insight!
does this 'sandwich' make it too squishy? I also tried different insoles and always came back to stock Bauer ones with carbon fiber insert under the toes and the most responsive ones hence the question.

no not at all.  I've been a speedplate guy generally and like the stiff feeling under my feet, but these are not 'squishy' at all.  The red piece is very thin and not really anything special.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SolarWind said:

quick one: what insoles do folks use in True custom skates? the stock setup with 2 different insoles sandwiched in is odd, and it doesn't look like something like superfeet is warranted since the skate is so anatomical already  (including instep) so would just a basic flat insole from Bauer skates work better?

For me the stock insoles are a bit too squishy for me. Having the red in there as well felt too padded. If I were to wear the stock insoles I'd wear them solo. I use speedplates bc I like how firm it is and feels more locked in due to less movement from foam compressing. The speed plates aren't overkill since they just conform to the arch in the boot and also ur feet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Skated in my custom Trues for the first time, such a different experience wearing them vs all my other skates! I kept on thinking the skates are loose because there was zero pressure anywhere on my foot. But it wasn’t the case, the foot was locked up, but without any pressure points it must have been spread so evenly it felt like it wasn’t there. Best skate I’ve ever had, comparing with custom Bauer and CCM skates.
One thing is weird though: I thought the skates were very solidly built, but just after 1 skate I see the toe separating from the boot cover? Is that normal?

https://ibb.co/1mB9dPc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SolarWind said:

Skated in my custom Trues for the first time, such a different experience wearing them vs all my other skates! I kept on thinking the skates are loose because there was zero pressure anywhere on my foot. But it wasn’t the case, the foot was locked up, but without any pressure points it must have been spread so evenly it felt like it wasn’t there. Best skate I’ve ever had, comparing with custom Bauer and CCM skates.
One thing is weird though: I thought the skates were very solidly built, but just after 1 skate I see the toe separating from the boot cover? Is that normal?

https://ibb.co/1mB9dPc

Purely cosmetic. You can use some super glue gel (or similar) and a clamp or tape to hold it while it cures if it bothers you. Just squirt a little bit in, and tape it down or use a ratchet clamp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is True the only skate that says “custom” on them? That’s interesting branding. 

Other companies customs look more or less exactly like the retail versions, don’t they? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, start_today said:

Is True the only skate that says “custom” on them? That’s interesting branding. 

Other companies customs look more or less exactly like the retail versions, don’t they? 

CCM custom skates say "custom" on them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, start_today said:

Is True the only skate that says “custom” on them? That’s interesting branding. 

Other companies customs look more or less exactly like the retail versions, don’t they? 

Bauer skates have the My Bauer tag on the tongue 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been littering the tf9/7 topic with my questions so let me ask a few here. I’m currently in true tf9’s coming from Easton makos. I’ve gone back for a second baking on the tf9 to get more heel lock with success.
 

However the forefoot area just seems like it has to much volume. Right around the 4th eyelet and into the toe box has a lot of volume(just top and bottom not width) so I can raise the ball of my foot off the insole. Is this something that would be corrected in customs or is that the design of the toe box and I just need to get used to it. 
 

my makos I pretty much just pulled those eyelets so there’s no slack and didn’t need to tighten them where as the tf9 I’m cranking them down. And yes I’ve adjusted the tongue but then it sits weird on the rest of my foot 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, crispy92 said:

I’ve been littering the tf9/7 topic with my questions so let me ask a few here. I’m currently in true tf9’s coming from Easton makos. I’ve gone back for a second baking on the tf9 to get more heel lock with success.
 

However the forefoot area just seems like it has to much volume. Right around the 4th eyelet and into the toe box has a lot of volume(just top and bottom not width) so I can raise the ball of my foot off the insole. Is this something that would be corrected in customs or is that the design of the toe box and I just need to get used to it. 
 

my makos I pretty much just pulled those eyelets so there’s no slack and didn’t need to tighten them where as the tf9 I’m cranking them down. And yes I’ve adjusted the tongue but then it sits weird on the rest of my foot 

Insert a pair of Powerfoot and problem solved. I use them and am a huge fan. We sell a ton of them in my store for players who want a more locked in forefoot feel.

https://www.adrenalinedesign.ca/powerfoot/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PBH said:

Insert a pair of Powerfoot and problem solved. I use them and am a huge fan. We sell a ton of them in my store for players who want a more locked in forefoot feel.

https://www.adrenalinedesign.ca/powerfoot/

What size do you typically use with TF9's? #2 Easton Mako/VH SR6+ or #5 All Other Skates SR6+?

Edited by GP035

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, GP035 said:

What size do you typically use with TF9's? #2 Easton Mako/VH SR6+ or #5 All Other Skates SR6+?

I usually sell the standard ones as opposed to the Mako/VH. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PBH said:

Insert a pair of Powerfoot and problem solved. I use them and am a huge fan. We sell a ton of them in my store for players who want a more locked in forefoot feel.

https://www.adrenalinedesign.ca/powerfoot/

Yes I have those it’s just been hard getting ice time to try them. I will say I don’t mind my toes having the volume I sort of like the ability to splay my toes like a running sneaker. It’s mainly just before the toes that’s the issue. I’ll have to adjust the tongue and add powerfoot. 
 

The store I got them from said they will take them back used if I opt for customs so I guess I still have time. I’m leaning towards just going custom as mentally the idea that they’re “perfect” for me puts me at ease. Many people seem to say they barely need to tie their skates to feel secure and that’s what I had w/ makos. However it seems many people also end up having to add insoles or powerfoot to make their customs work and I don’t want to splurge on $1000 skates for the same experience I have with the tf9
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up a pair of True pro stock skates, generation prior to current. They are new, but several eyelets are missing their backing. LHS indicated the Blademaster  XL black eyelets appear to be too short- what is everyone using for replacement eyelets?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was an early adopter of the VH skates in 2014.  I have a pair of trues now.  The tongue system on the trues absolutely sucks.  The VH tongues I had, had a nice robust piece of Velcro and the trues Barely have anything.  I pul the tongue from the Velcro whenever I put them on.  
 

has anyone come up with a solution or been able to replace the Velcro?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iceman8310 said:

I was an early adopter of the VH skates in 2014.  I have a pair of trues now.  The tongue system on the trues absolutely sucks.  The VH tongues I had, had a nice robust piece of Velcro and the trues Barely have anything.  I pul the tongue from the Velcro whenever I put them on.  
 

has anyone come up with a solution or been able to replace the Velcro?

You could drill two small holes in the top of the toe box to make it compatible with CCM tongues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...