Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Has anyone had success fixing an ovalized eyelet hole in these? I've worn my new True skates exactly 1 time and an eyelet has pulled in the quarter -- the eyelet itself is round, but the quarter package hole is now larger than the eyelet.

Overall, I'm incredibly disappointed with my new True skates after being in VH for almost 5 years. The construction is sloppy, the sizing on my pair was so bad they had to re-make them, and now the durability is laughable. The rep I worked with was so frustrating to deal with I'm about to bin these skates having discovered the eyelet issue.

8 minutes ago, laserrobottime said:

Has anyone had success fixing an ovalized eyelet hole in these? I've worn my new True skates exactly 1 time and an eyelet has pulled in the quarter -- the eyelet itself is round, but the quarter package hole is now larger than the eyelet.

Overall, I'm incredibly disappointed with my new True skates after being in VH for almost 5 years. The construction is sloppy, the sizing on my pair was so bad they had to re-make them, and now the durability is laughable. The rep I worked with was so frustrating to deal with I'm about to bin these skates having discovered the eyelet issue.

They have a six mth warranty. Use it. 

5 hours ago, smu said:

JR,

I immediately expressed my apologies in the initial email and then I had to do it again for Snipper9, who steps in and takes offense to the way I treated you when it was none of his business! I knew this but apologized anyway and now I get it again!

My apologies are clearly posted! What else can I do except this again, I apologize for any derogatory statements I made and do regret not rewriting that whole first email, if so we would not be here now talking about who did what!

Lets get back to business.

With regard to the upload process, no matter what you think of my computer capabilities, there was only the regular rectangular box "insert other media" at the bottom right corner in the box given me previously and no "Click to choose files" with a paper clip beside it. That would be very obvious to me and not just missed.

It is not there in today's box either, if you meant to have it here.

If I open this box (insert other media) it says two things; 1) Insert from URL and 2) Insert existing attachment, nothing like what you have suggested "Click to choose files" with a paper clip. Without knowing, perhaps it was number 2 above, but I was looking for exactly what you quoted.

Thank for the help and I will be out later this morning if I can get that upload box of yours I will certainly try it as it would seem easy and if that does not work I will get back to Imgur.

Cheers

Should be working for you now.  You should be able to just drop the file in there.

11 minutes ago, laserrobottime said:

I am outside the warranty period. Skates were ordered in March, and sat all summer.

Still contact them but wearing once...  Sounds like u reefed on the laces during the heat moulding. 

3 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Still contact them but wearing once...  Sounds like u reefed on the laces during the heat moulding. 

These are my fourth pair of VH/True skates, bud. I know how to heat mold them without damaging the quarter.

I'm not saying True makes a bad product, and I had great success skating pain-free in my other VH skates. The fit on these new boots is so bad, however, I still can't get the right fit around a tailor's bunion due to the construction of the skate. The bottom of the boot is not flat all the way across, and curves up around my foot in a way that constantly irritates the bunion, regardless of which insole/insert I wear in them. I worked very closely with the rep on both sets of tracings (the original and the re-make) to ensure a fit issue like this wouldn't happen. Unfortunately, the combination of a skate that doesn't fit quite right and finding the pulled eyelet has me very frustrated with the entire experience.

Edited by laserrobottime
additional info
  • Like 1

In part relation to lasers post, does True keep records of all previously made skates for a particular customer?  I'm on my first pair, and they are perfect, but say I wanted to get another pair over time, and I am pretty confident my feet haven't changed, could I just call up True and ask them to send me a new pair built to identical specs of the previous pair?  Or would I have to go through the LHS, get a full re-scan, etc...?

13 minutes ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

In part relation to lasers post, does True keep records of all previously made skates for a particular customer?  I'm on my first pair, and they are perfect, but say I wanted to get another pair over time, and I am pretty confident my feet haven't changed, could I just call up True and ask them to send me a new pair built to identical specs of the previous pair?  Or would I have to go through the LHS, get a full re-scan, etc...?

You can order them through a local fit center and have them reference a previous scan. However, our store always scans the customer's feet again anyway to make sure there are no significant differences. 

12 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

You can order them through a local fit center and have them reference a previous scan. However, our store always scans the customer's feet again anyway to make sure there are no significant differences. 

With the inconsistencies I've been reading, if I had a perfect fit from a scan if stick with that.... I wouldn't risk having a scan that was slightly different for whatever reason. 

4 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

As mentioned in my lengthy post above me pictures, my right foot pronates when bearing weight during a lunge. It's weird. My knee totally goes inward instead of staying lined up with my ankle and my arch completely collapses. Never affected my skating though oddly... So no I never noticed. I just always noticed doing lunges felt odd on my right side but I always just attributed it to my left being my stable side because I'm right handed in throwing, batting etc and use my left to plant down. 

I'm going to start doing balance exercises to see if it's an ankle strength thing...  

Did you get my message about you holders?

IMG_8485.JPG

IMG_8459.JPG

IMG_8460-1.JPG

IMG_8458.JPG

IMG_8461.JPG

IMG_8467.JPG

IMG_8468.JPG

IMG_8471.JPG

IMG_8477.JPG

IMG_8479.JPG

IMG_8484-1.JPG

IMG_8484.JPG

IMG_8485.JPG

IMG_8486.JPG

IMG_8648.jpg

IMG_8650.jpg

My two fingers down the back of the True skate with my foot in the boot.JPG

Skates put on and off with laces all the way up.JPG

True's size 7 insole.JPG

Wedge in old skate.JPG

Width of heel Pocket - True.JPG

2" wide wedge that fir my old skate see the gap.JPG

IMG_8250.JPG

IMG_8245.JPG

IMG_8248.JPG

Foot in True Skate, more room at back than appears.JPG

Heel pocket of True with my 2" wide shim in place. Skate nearly 1:2" too wide.JPG

IMG_8244.JPG

IMG_8252.JPG

IMG_8264.JPG

IMG_8266.JPG

IMG_8276.JPG

IMG_8279.JPG

IMG_8419.JPG

IMG_8420.JPG

IMG_8422.JPG

IMG_8425.JPG

IMG_8426.JPG

IMG_8427.JPG

IMG_8428.JPG

IMG_8429.JPG

IMG_8430.JPG

IMG_8431.JPG

IMG_8432.JPG

IMG_8438.JPG

IMG_8439.JPG

IMG_8440.JPG

IMG_8441.JPG

IMG_8442.JPG

IMG_8456.JPG

IMG_8457.JPG

IMG_8459-1.JPG

IMG_8460-1.JPG

IMG_8461.JPG

IMG_8467.JPG

IMG_8468.JPG

IMG_8471.JPG

IMG_8476.JPG

IMG_8477.JPG

IMG_8479.JPG

IMG_8484-1.JPG

IMG_8484.JPG

IMG_8486.JPG

IMG_8648-1.jpg

IMG_8650-1.jpg

My two fingers down the back of the True skate with my foot in the boot.JPG

Old skate with narrow 2" heel wedge in place.JPG

Part of Space you can see in back heel.JPG

Skates put on and off with laces all the way up.JPG

True's size 7 insole.JPG

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Should be working for you now.  You should be able to just drop the file in there.

Thanks JR

5 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

As mentioned in my lengthy post above me pictures, my right foot pronates when bearing weight during a lunge. It's weird. My knee totally goes inward instead of staying lined up with my ankle and my arch completely collapses. Never affected my skating though oddly... So no I never noticed. I just always noticed doing lunges felt odd on my right side but I always just attributed it to my left being my stable side because I'm right handed in throwing, batting etc and use my left to plant down. 

I'm going to start doing balance exercises to see if it's an ankle strength thing...  

You just had post of your skates and I replied that they maybe your mounts are mounted on the far outside. As I was finishing my photos were taken in and I don't see our post anymore? Do you know what happend?

Ok, so I received my skates today, 15 days after getting scanned. I was able to bake them this morning and skate for about 30 minuets at a public session.

My first impression has been very good. When I initially inspected the skates, the quality seemed better than some I’ve been seeing online. No major blemishes or sloppiness. They aren’t that much heavier than my MX3s, although I’m just going on feel alone. One thing that was disappointing is that I requested the tan liner 2 separate times, including a note made in the scan. Although it’s not a huge deal, it annoys me that the request was basically ignored after it had been acknowledged by a True rep. Also, I got a carbon fiber splinter from one of the holes on the bottom of the skate, and I’m going to have to sue True for bodily injury and severe trauma..

At some point, I’ll post a full review, but for now I’ll just give my first impressions. I officiate for a living, so as long as these remain comfortable and last, I’ll be happy. As recommended by several posts throughout this forum, I went down a hollow. I knew that was the right call as soon as I stepped on the ice. These skates really do feel different. Coming from MX3s and Makos, I was expecting some kind of middle ground between the two. That was not the case. They feel very unique, but I wouldn’t call them bulky like some. I had some pretty standard new skate discomfort, but they were incredibly comfortable overall. The more I skated, the more I could kinda feel the similarity to the Mako. I’ve never been one to think that a pair of skates can drastically improve skating, but the “connection” to the ice and the energy transfer felt unreal. They’re much too new to say whether or not I’m happy, but I’m optimistic that these will work nicely for me.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Both of your feet pronate. Have a look at the way the tongue sits in the boot, see how it twists to the outside? This is because your foot is collapsing inwards during any inside edge work and then the tongue gets pushed to the outside due to the pressure of the foot. 

It's not just the ankle, it's a body alignment issue - forefoot to arch, arch to ankle, ankle to knee, knee to hip, hip to back. Calf raises help, standing on a step edge with the side of your foot and holding your balance, lunges with correct alignment (knee over the second toe) but if you want to naturally fix it (as opposed to holder movement or shimming) there is only one way for skaters to do it, skate with your laces undone. It takes around 1 year of training of focused inside edge work (at least 3 times a week for an hour per session) for the muscle memory to set and then you will not pronate in your skates. Your alignment will be correct, your arch, ankles and legs will be much stronger and you will be a much better technical skater than when you began.

No idea what you're talking about but my skates are not misaligned and from the pics yours don't look like it either. The Gap in the back of the holder where it meets the heel on your skate are normal. It's because the shape of the heel isn't completely flat. Your rivets looks flush to me. All copper rivets will confirm to the shape where it's being pressed onto. It's copper. The only way to tell if ur holders are off is to compare the mid line of the holder to the respective toe box and or heel. U cant just look at the bottom of the skate and say it is or isn't because of how much room there is to each side. The skates are not symmetrical. 

As for the size it's obviously too long. But it looks like ur super feet are trimmed pretty short and from the pics it looks like your heel is a bit too far back on the heel cup but that could just be the angle. If it's too long then it's too long and the fact they used toe plugs shows they are too long. 

The width seems similar to what mine were and the heel cup is bigger on my trues than my Bauer's. Like I said in my earlier post, when I got my skates unbaked they felt huge wide wise. When I baked them they felt nice and snug. The tongue is also pretty thick and takes up a bit of volume too. Either way they should be remaking the boot solely on the length issue... But honestly man I don't see any issues either the hold er and rivets, and theres nothing wrong with mine either. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

Both of your feet pronate. Have a look at the way the tongue sits in the boot, see how it twists to the outside? This is because your foot is collapsing inwards during any inside edge work and then the tongue gets pushed to the outside due to the pressure of the foot. 

It's not just the ankle, it's a body alignment issue - forefoot to arch, arch to ankle, ankle to knee, knee to hip, hip to back. Calf raises help, standing on a step edge with the side of your foot and holding your balance, lunges with correct alignment (knee over the second toe) but if you want to naturally fix it (as opposed to holder movement or shimming) there is only one way for skaters to do it, skate with your laces undone. It takes around 1 year of training of focused inside edge work (at least 3 times a week for an hour per session) for the muscle memory to set and then you will not pronate in your skates. Your alignment will be correct, your arch, ankles and legs will be much stronger and you will be a much better technical skater than when you began.

All arches collapse and feet pronate to a certain degree when bearing weight. Some more than others. Both of mine probably do but my right def does more than the left. Never noticed any issues with the left but thanks for the insight. 

13 minutes ago, jared9356 said:

Ok, so I received my skates today, 15 days after getting scanned. I was able to bake them this morning and skate for about 30 minuets at a public session.

My first impression has been very good. When I initially inspected the skates, the quality seemed better than some I’ve been seeing online. No major blemishes or sloppiness. They aren’t that much heavier than my MX3s, although I’m just going on feel alone. One thing that was disappointing is that I requested the tan liner 2 separate times, including a note made in the scan. Although it’s not a huge deal, it annoys me that the request was basically ignored after it had been acknowledged by a True rep. Also, I got a carbon fiber splinter from one of the holes on the bottom of the skate, and I’m going to have to sue True for bodily injury and severe trauma..

At some point, I’ll post a full review, but for now I’ll just give my first impressions. I officiate for a living, so as long as these remain comfortable and last, I’ll be happy. As recommended by several posts throughout this forum, I went down a hollow. I knew that was the right call as soon as I stepped on the ice. These skates really do feel different. Coming from MX3s and Makos, I was expecting some kind of middle ground between the two. That was not the case. They feel very unique, but I wouldn’t call them bulky like some. I had some pretty standard new skate discomfort, but they were incredibly comfortable overall. The more I skated, the more I could kinda feel the similarity to the Mako. I’ve never been one to think that a pair of skates can drastically improve skating, but the “connection” to the ice and the energy transfer felt unreal. They’re much too new to say whether or not I’m happy, but I’m optimistic that these will work nicely for me.

Pics !! 😁. But ya the tan clarino is something id ask for on a second pair and it's super annoying that wasn't done... I'd shoot them an email to ask why that didn't happen... 

4 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Pics !! 😁. But ya the tan clarino is something id ask for on a second pair and it's super annoying that wasn't done... I'd shoot them an email to ask why that didn't happen... 

Well, once I seize control of the company after inevitably winning the aforementioned lawsuit, I’ll definitely have them remade with the tan liner. Pics incoming!

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, jared9356 said:

https://imgur.com/gallery/SThiHx9

Left: 1010 grams

Right: 1014 grams

Very nice. Im digging the all white laces. 

I guess true has gone to only only holder now and putting what used to be the goalie holder on player skates now too, which makes more sense. Why make two diff holders...

And yours do look a lot more polished than some I've seen. 

Edited by Sniper9

5 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

I guess true has gone to only only holder now and putting what used to be the goalie holder on player skates now too, which makes more sense. Why make two diff holders...

The plain laces are required by local officiating organizations. Looks much cleaner to me. 

I just noticed the gap in the holder. Haven’t seen any player pairs with this holder yet, but it does make sense to streamline. 

Yep. Aside from some extra glue here and there, the stitching is clean and nothing looks wonky.

Edited by jared9356

Just now, jared9356 said:

I just noticed the gap in the holder. Haven’t seen any player pairs with this holder yet, but it does make sense to streamline. 

Yep. Aside from some extra glue here and there, the stitching is clean and nothing looks wonky.

Yours is the third I've seen so far in the last week or so on Instagram. 

11 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Vett88 if you are talking about Sniper9, I was trying to help, earlier because I saw where True put my holders on and it was wrong. I saw that Sniper 9's holders were both on the lateral side of his boots as well like mine and since Sniper9 is a pronator he might want to look at that. The post was lost when my photos were uploaded somehow. My discussion with Sniper9 was that his holders may not be placed in the normal spot and I told him how it was done, but I told him to look into it.

He seems to have forgotten that I was trying to help him and has turned me off!

The resolution of his photo is so good you can enlarge it to quite an extent and when I did I see that both holders are riveted as far over to the lateral side as they could possible go. My skates from True were the same way, laterally placed on the skate the same way as Sniper9. If I was a supinator they might work better, but not for a pronator as Sniper9 is. I suggested that he look into this especially since he is a pronator! If they were riveted medially he may be better off, but somehow with me trying to help he turned sour and said something about my holders and wanted no help from me, perhaps you could try and look at his problem again and zoom in on his holders you will see the issue. maybe there is something wrong at True?.

What I mentioned is that the normal anchor spot for holders is the midpoint heel area and a line from there directly up to between the big toe and the next toe. This would be the other point for a line between the two to be drawn and where the holder is generally placed unless you have perhaps pronation problem, in this case good for an over pronator.

I suggested he do some research on this since it has been awhile since I have looked into it and I could be wrong.

Apparently he has now looked at my skates that I finally got posted, but they do not have high enough high resolution to see them up close and see that both of my holders are on the far lateral side as well. It would be easy to see on my holders if the definition was better.

I was speaking to the LHS today and I said I was calling True tomorrow to discuss all the issues that are with the skates I received and try and get an understanding of what went wrong. Also Why do I see two pairs of skates and both recent with the holders riveted on the far lateral side?

Hopefully get Rob to see if there is any reason to see why their skates have the holders so laterally placed as I don't want my new ones there plus talk about the other issues and see just what they do with pronation now, it seem s like less and less.

Now with my holders in evidence the resolution is not good enough to see that my holders are placed in the same lateral area as Sniper9's but if you can now all understand that mine are out of wack and it is just not me I would be appreciative. They can view where the alignment from the coppers on one skate at least put the holder way off and the other holder just because the copper look almost normal are misaligned as well. Just like Sniper9's Holders!

Thanks,

Cheers - SMU

Edited by smu
grammar saw to see

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

It’s not a goalie holder on player skates.