Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

10 hours ago, CigarScott said:

Yes, you're supposed to use a shoe horn to put them on and take them off. They're a breeze to put on and take off once you start using a shoe horn; I keep a $2 IKEA shoe horn in my bag for this very reason.

The shoehorn is only required for putting them on while baking to avoid damaging the foam while it's hot. You can use a shoehorn every time you put them on, but I just unlace the top 3 eyelets, pull the tongue out far, and I insert my foot like in the video but I keep my foot toward the toe to avoid exerting to much pressure on the heel foam while inserting my foot. It works for me.

Yeah.  I don't use a shoehorn anymore.  With that said, when I baked my Trues, I had the LHS "open" the top eyelet area just a bit so it would flare a little, since I like the top eyelets pretty loose anyway.    Side benefit is that they're not as hard to get on.  However, out of all the skates I've ever owned, they are still the hardest to get into by far.

On 3/13/2019 at 7:06 PM, Larry54 said:

Even though your feet are similar to your dad's, you re-molded them to your own feet, didn't you?

Yes I did get them baked of course. I'm not a barbarian! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/13/2019 at 7:22 PM, IPv6Freely said:

They are really hard to put on. I spot heated the top of mine to open it up, but still use a long shoe horn to slide my feet in. I get some weird looks still when I do it but whatever. 

Funny, ‘cos mine are easy on and off, and my heel lock is slightly less. I can even wear a thin sock with mine now. Never used a shoe horn with the exception of the first few times wearing them. Mine were transition era VH/True (VH branding).

Does anyone have experience removing the toe portion inside the boot?

My son is outgrowing his Trues (before I get lectured on getting a kid True's, he plays high level and Trues aren't anymore costly than other quality offerings from competitors). Anyway, we ordered a new pair, but in the meantime, I seem to recall some of you guys talking about removing the toe mould on the inside of the boot as a preference.. 

Those that have, did you just pull it out? Any caution that should be used or is it bonded by adhesive?

Edited by Healthyscratch

7 hours ago, Healthyscratch said:

Does anyone have experience removing the toe portion inside the boot?

My son is outgrowing his Trues (before I get lectured on getting a kid True's, he plays high level and Trues aren't anymore costly than other quality offerings from competitors). Anyway, we ordered a new pair, but in the meantime, I seem to recall some of you guys talking about removing the toe mould on the inside of the boot as a preference.. 

Those that have, did you just pull it out? Any caution that should be used or is it bonded by adhesive?

Take the tongue out and unlace completely. It either has grey inserts which can be pulled off as it's only taped on. Or if it's only red Eva foam you may need to chisel it off. The red Eva foam is only about 1-2 mm though so not sure if it'll make a tonne of difference for your son. 

Wondering if anyone ever had changes to there skates after they were finished, what i mean by this is sending the skates back and getting the color changed on the molding. I got all black Trues, but have seen the white trim and wished i took the plunge. just wondering if this is a possiblity. I have had the skates for a year, but havent got alot of use out of them so they look pretty new still. 

3 hours ago, GregHenn19 said:

Wondering if anyone ever had changes to there skates after they were finished, what i mean by this is sending the skates back and getting the color changed on the molding. I got all black Trues, but have seen the white trim and wished i took the plunge. just wondering if this is a possiblity. I have had the skates for a year, but havent got alot of use out of them so they look pretty new still. 

Better off selling them and getting a new pair done. I have never seen anyone get post-production changes. Ever. 

5 hours ago, GregHenn19 said:

Personally don't think it would be that hard. Email them. They do all kinds of repairs etc after the fact. The only thing that would be an issue at this point is the cost. 

If you're in the US, the costs to ship them back and forth between the countries may get pricey and who knows what True would charge you, if they would even want to mess with it. You may be better off getting someone like Bay Area Hockey Repair to do it for you.

Has it changed, or are the colored parts still just glued on?

edit: never mind, I forgot that the areas colored now are different. Probably would be pretty easy to change now.

14 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

edit: never mind, I forgot that the areas colored now are different. Probably would be pretty easy to change now.

I tried to do this for a customer myself and TRUE skates are a nightmare to take apart. I also had a customer who wanted to change colors and TRUE told him no. 

8 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

You could see the VH production process with the pieces covering the upper quarter panel being glued on in some of the videos of their factory. The only part of that assemblage that was stitched into the shell was at the edge, which you could more easily see from the inside. Having said that, even if parts are just glued on, there are vastly different kinds of glue, and while I'm not a composites expert by any means, what I've gathered about these thermoformable boots is there are several different glues for different applications with different activation temperatures. From what I recall, the colored parts of the exterior were applied after the shells were cured with the liners inside them. That makes me think it's not a good mix to try and remove those glued pieces after the fact, as the effect on the shell might well be undesired. Or the undo process could simply be delicate and therefore cost prohibitive compared to just getting a new skate.

@GregHenn19, instead of the replacement approach, have you considered the additive approach? Just trace the form of the pieces you want adhered to the boot, cut them out and glue them on top. There might be a hint of added thickness depending on the material you chose, but at least you avoid the headache of the unglue/undo process, and you avoid any risk of damaging the skate from taking the surgical route. Just do the same way as they trace-cut-and-stick shot blockers are applied. Optionally stitch into the shell at the edge if you wish. As for skate weight watchers, I doubt this would do much to nudge the Trues into the "even heavier" category. Those looking for super light skates are already shopping elsewhere.

• Like 1

Just tried on VH skates for the first time.. to make a long story short im never skating in anything other than VH skates.

The skates are pro stock 2nd gen VH (not True's) with tuuk 288mm edge holders and ls3 steel. Seller told me he used 2015 vapor 1x 10ds and they felt similar, which is exactly what i use so i bought them. They were INCREDIBLY HARD to put on but once inside i felt i could skate without laces on. The composite part of the boot on these is unbelievably stiff (probably much thicker than my 1x skates, explaining the weight), and the eyelet part is a little softer. As soon as i jumped on the ice I felt I could get on my edges very easily without ''thinking'' about my skating so to speak. Starts and crossovers felt more natural and responsive. Every aspect of my skating felt improved. I think the boot having a low cut and being very stiff + it's agressive wrapping around the foot explain this.

They fit exactly like my 10d vapors but weirdly under the insoles its written SW9416ST, and the number 9 is written alone somewhere else under the insoles.

Has anybody tried all 3 versions of this skate? I'm debating buying the first generation as backup (written VH footwear on the side) because theres a decent pair on ebay but im not sure its as good. I've heard the new trues aren't as stiff but maybe easier to put on? read a lot of pages but not all this thread, any info appreciated

Edited by mamalulu

9 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Anyone know if and when true is gonna have a v2 of the skate?

No, but I would have liked to have had the first version of a junior 5c that True could not make and now I have lost a full year!

Now looking at Custom CCMs.

At 70 my years, my seasons are numbered! 🙂

Alan

Edited by smu
comma, spein

10 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Anyone know if and when true is gonna have a v2 of the skate?

If you go back to the first VH skate, the current skate would be more like V3 or V4. And with all the small constant changes along the way, it's like they had V1.1, V1.2, V2.1, V2.2, etc. I mean my VH skates are identical to the ones that came out a month later except for the "improved" tendon guard. I don't know when the last small improvement was made, if there have been any since True took over. But, unlike other brands, if True has kept the VH philosophy, rather than introducing new models with new graphics just to jack up the price, and holding back all the improvements ntil the "next model", they will just be constantly evolving the current model... unless True doesn't continue the VH way of doing things, that is.

VH.JPG

img_2618copy.jpg

Unknown-1-2-250x245.jpeg

True_Hockey_Player_Skate_500x500_c6e7bcc

Edited by Larry54
  • Like 1

I'm aware that there have been prior version solely under the VH name but was curious in terms of a new version since true branded over. 

On 4/7/2019 at 4:50 AM, smu said:

No, but I would have liked to have had the first version of a junior 5c that True could not make and now I have lost a full year!

Now looking at Custom CCMs.

At 70 my years, my seasons are numbered! 🙂

Alan

How does this add value to the question?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

How does this add value to the question?

Just to say that I am through with True, in a very short manner, so I don't offend anyone!

46 minutes ago, smu said:

Just to say that I am through with True, in a very short manner, so I don't offend anyone!

Then stop posting in this thread. Can't wait to see similar posts of you complaining on Bauer/CCM threads in the future .....