Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Fletch

Best tape/grip for digital palms?

Hey everyone, I just got a pair of new CCM Landeskog pro returns that have digital.  I have never used digital palms before and I want these to last.  I usually use LizardSkin for my grips but I tend to go through them fairly fast and at $10 a pop, I have been leaning toward going back to tape.  Anyone have any recommendations as it pertains to what works best on digital palms?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

Hey everyone, I just got a pair of new CCM Landeskog pro returns that have digital.  I have never used digital palms before and I want these to last.  I usually use LizardSkin for my grips but I tend to go through them fairly fast and at $10 a pop, I have been leaning toward going back to tape.  Anyone have any recommendations as it pertains to what works best on digital palms?

Thanks!

I'd stick with the Lizards skins. I've been using them for about 18 months, and the lack of wear on my gloves (bought two fresh pairs around the same time I switched to Lizard skins) is incredible. 

But I hear you on the cost. I went through a pile on my two twigs the past 18 months. I've experimented on how to get more out of each grip as like you said they are a bit pricey. Originally I just wrapped the grip around with nothing underneath. The issue I found was over time (usually within 6 weeks or so) the tape would shift and the eventually come loose, as there is really nothing for the glue on the grip to bond to. 

So I then tried putting a layer of regular tape underneath before applying the lizard skin. It was an improvement, but not a perfect solution. So next I tried using a layer of stretch grip tape instead. This has shown to be a better method and the stick where I did that has held up much better.

Another thing I did to improve the value was I measured the full length of the lizard skin out of the box and then cut it exactly in half, essentially getting two grips out of each package. Now this works for me for the length I like to use and my hand size, so this may not work for you. 

15 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Worth keeping in mind these at 0.75 mm thick (vs. the Lizard skins at 0.5 mm). Which for some folks is inconsequential, some it's not.

12 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

These are closer in thickness to Lizard skins, but seem like you can't customize the way you can with Lizard skins (it's big advantage IMO over options like Sniperskin or Buttendz). 

7 hours ago, innotastic said:

https://www.wilson.com/en-us/tennis/grips/overgrips/pro-overgrip-3-pack

i've used this stuff on my hockey sticks in the past. they're 0.55mm so essentially the same thickness as lizard skin. they do shift a bit because there's no adhesive but they're so cheap i just overlap them a bit more.

I put a layer of cloth tape and then the over wrap on top. The other option is to use some 3M glue spray and the put the over wrap on. 

On 3/29/2019 at 6:34 PM, IPv6Freely said:

Always stretch wrap over a grip made of normal stick tape. Takes 2 seconds to replace when needed.

How do you find the stretch tape on your gloves? I've never used stretch tape as a primary grip. Doing some research online I've seen comments as far as stretch tape is the absolute worst type of tape for glove wear, to the complete other end of the spectrum and folks saying the stretch tape doesn't wear your glove palms out much at all. 

49 minutes ago, BruinDust said:

How do you find the stretch tape on your gloves? I've never used stretch tape as a primary grip. Doing some research online I've seen comments as far as stretch tape is the absolute worst type of tape for glove wear, to the complete other end of the spectrum and folks saying the stretch tape doesn't wear your glove palms out much at all. 

Absolutely no wear at all. I create the knob using regular stick tape and just remove and re-apply the stretch tape once in a while. Zero wear on my gloves. 

To be clear, I'm talking about this: https://www.icewarehouse.com/Renfrew_Stretch_Grip_Hockey_Stick_Tape/descpage-RSRT.html 

• Like 2

Am I  missing out on something by not using the liz skin or similar product? I just use cloth tape 😕 Play 2x a week and my current gloves and stick are fine. Don't feel like I'm losing grip and I think before my current stick, my last one that tape job lasted me at least a year, if not more.

47 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Absolutely no wear at all. I create the knob using regular stick tape and just remove and re-apply the stretch tape once in a while. Zero wear on my gloves. 

To be clear, I'm talking about this: https://www.icewarehouse.com/Renfrew_Stretch_Grip_Hockey_Stick_Tape/descpage-RSRT.html 

Yup, same stuff. I got a roll of this stuff in white kicking around the house.

Thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciated. 

I tried some kind of cloth grip tape the first couple of times I used my digital palm gloves and they started to wear very fast from it. I don't think it was Renfrew, so maybe that made a difference. I would have gotten Renfrew if it were available at the local shop, but they simply didn't have it.

In my case, I'm not too worried about the palms ripping though, because I love everthing about the gloves except for the digital (it feels knotty against the hand) and some less than desirable durability issues with the binding and exterior. The fit and feel of the glove otherwise is the best I've ever had, so I'll just get them repalmed with some other material and spruced up when they need it. I've read a lot of people love their digital gloves, though.

10 hours ago, BruinDust said:

Yup, same stuff. I got a roll of this stuff in white kicking around the house.

Thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciated. 

I used to use this buy on my gloves with softer palms it does wear them slightly and discolor them hence why I stopped using it. 

I ended up sticking with Lizard Skin (bought a couple new rolls).  Skated with the gloves for a pickup, so far so good.  I’ll update the thread with a pic after a few more skates with them.  

• Like 1

Do any of those alternatives (Wilson, Alienpros, X speedfit) have adhesive backing or do they rely on the overlap and tape at eith end to keep them in place?

About 6 months ago I stumbled across the best stick tape option I've ever felt: Era Lacrosse Anaconda grip. https://eralacrosse.com/collections/anaconda-grips

Let's you tape the knob you want then wrap it in the rubber.  The black is more of a dense gasket type rubber, which has left my palms a bit black but nowhere near the stiffness/smell/residue of regular tape. The red and green are much more silicone-y if that makes sense(?) but that one hasn't even left coloring - literally no wear to speak of.

They're expensive compared to tape obviously but they'll last the life of the stick, cannot recommend enough!

9 hours ago, bogeywhite said:

About 6 months ago I stumbled across the best stick tape option I've ever felt: Era Lacrosse Anaconda grip. https://eralacrosse.com/collections/anaconda-grips

Let's you tape the knob you want then wrap it in the rubber.  The black is more of a dense gasket type rubber, which has left my palms a bit black but nowhere near the stiffness/smell/residue of regular tape. The red and green are much more silicone-y if that makes sense(?) but that one hasn't even left coloring - literally no wear to speak of.

They're expensive compared to tape obviously but they'll last the life of the stick, cannot recommend enough!

I'll check this out. Looks interesting. Kinda pricey though. 

14 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

Do any of those alternatives (Wilson, Alienpros, X speedfit) have adhesive backing or do they rely on the overlap and tape at eith end to keep them in place?

I use 3M spray adhesive and then use the wrap. Its waterproof and easy can be removed with over the counter solvents. Typically I only tape my stick end once and then never need to do it again. 

Lizard skin black leaves a black mark on my gloves. Will try white next time. Currently have butt endz but not a fan of when water gets on the top and cause the knob to shift.... 

12 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Lizard skin black leaves a black mark on my gloves. Will try white next time. Currently have butt endz but not a fan of when water gets on the top and cause the knob to shift.... 

I've been using buttendz grips for about 6-8 months. Never had an issue with the grip moving around. I've even moved them from stick to stick. I always use the spray they supply and let it dry for a full 24 hours, maybe that has something to do with it.