Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, mtn said:

Hmmm... Well, I understand the official stance and the site (and anybody with potential liability) taking a hard-line stance on this, but real-world impact would have to be minimal. I'll take the risk for myself, because I believe it to be minimal (have done it on 3 helmets so far, no ill-effects, all helmets are still in good shape and only retired due to age, hardening of foam, and pads falling out).

If I didn't throw it away already, I'm going to take an old helmet and cut it into pieces to submerge it in acetone, another in mineral spirits, and a third in alcohol. If I did throw it out, then I won't be able to. In any case, IIRC from my HS chemistry days, different plastics react differently to different solvents. It is why acetone can melt plastics, yet it is stored in plastic. Aside from that, there is a difference in submerging something in it and keeping it in it, and using a small amount on a cotton swab to remove the paint on it. 

Can't really say that I disagree with you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mtn said:

Hmmm... Well, I understand the official stance and the site (and anybody with potential liability) taking a hard-line stance on this, but real-world impact would have to be minimal. I'll take the risk for myself, because I believe it to be minimal (have done it on 3 helmets so far, no ill-effects, all helmets are still in good shape and only retired due to age, hardening of foam, and pads falling out).

If I didn't throw it away already, I'm going to take an old helmet and cut it into pieces to submerge it in acetone, another in mineral spirits, and a third in alcohol. If I did throw it out, then I won't be able to. In any case, IIRC from my HS chemistry days, different plastics react differently to different solvents. It is why acetone can melt plastics, yet it is stored in plastic. Aside from that, there is a difference in submerging something in it and keeping it in it, and using a small amount on a cotton swab to remove the paint on it. 

We had a client use solvents to clean a goal mask (One of the plastic type) 

After they painted it. 

After a month so.eone took a snapshot and it went through the helmet where it was now soft and gave them a brain injury. 

Why play with fire? 

It would be good to see the results of your test though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

Why not try some of that orange adhesive remover, it is pretty gentle.  Or Magic Eraser or what about just carefully blacking it out with a permanent marker?

Or paint pen. Though I guess those are solvent based as well so maybe not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy,

Any chance there will be True reps at Winterfest and they'll have some of these with them?  I want to check out out in person.  Like the idea of the MIPS system.

Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Any chance there will be True reps at Winterfest and they'll have some of these with them?  I want to check out out in person.  Like the idea of the MIPS system.

Mark

They are also at peranis as well 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Checked it out today.

Things I liked: 

 - SUPER light

 - MIPS. First helmet I’ve seen that I thought “hey, this could actually help prevent a concussion or lessen its severity”*

 - Good looking helmet for sure. 

 - It seemed comfortable, but I did not mess with the pads at all

Things I didn’t like: 

 - The price. Whoa. 

 - Some of the fit and finish isn’t what I’d expect in a helmet at $50, let alone 5x that price. It seemed like the plastic shell had some rough spots in the vents.

 - I’m concerned about the long term durability. Related to the above, and probably also the reason it is so light, this helmet doesn’t a hard plastic shell like all the other hockey helmets I’ve ever seen; it is more like a bicycle helmet - there is a very thin, hard plastic shell that appears to have been sprayed onto a foam shell. I don’t know how this is made or how the outer shell is adhered to the inner shell/padding, but it isn’t “typical” hockey helmet construction. I’m not saying that it is a bad thing, I just want to see some long term reviews before laying down my own money on it.

 

 

*My personal opinion. It just makes sense to me though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mtn said:

Checked it out today.

Things I liked: 

 - SUPER light

 - MIPS. First helmet I’ve seen that I thought “hey, this could actually help prevent a concussion or lessen its severity”*

 - Good looking helmet for sure. 

 - It seemed comfortable, but I did not mess with the pads at all

Things I didn’t like: 

 - The price. Whoa. 

 - Some of the fit and finish isn’t what I’d expect in a helmet at $50, let alone 5x that price. It seemed like the plastic shell had some rough spots in the vents.

 - I’m concerned about the long term durability. Related to the above, and probably also the reason it is so light, this helmet doesn’t a hard plastic shell like all the other hockey helmets I’ve ever seen; it is more like a bicycle helmet - there is a very thin, hard plastic shell that appears to have been sprayed onto a foam shell. I don’t know how this is made or how the outer shell is adhered to the inner shell/padding, but it isn’t “typical” hockey helmet construction. I’m not saying that it is a bad thing, I just want to see some long term reviews before laying down my own money on it.

 

 

*My personal opinion. It just makes sense to me though. 

Thr rough edges on thr vents is what i noticed as well in the first leaks from summer. I thought maybe it was bc they were just the test helmets but I guess it's not. Yet another attention to detail thing true doesn't seem to care about. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried the True helmet on yesterday and here are my thoughts...

1 - It's lighter than most helmets out there. I was hoping it'd be like the Easton E700, but it's not in that super light league but still lighter than most.

2 - The MIPS system is super cool and rotates/gives quite a bit.

3 - It's a thick bulky looking helmet. Super stiff one piece, adjustments can only be made with the different thickness of padding included. I found the helmet a bit tight by my temporal area.

4 - Not crazy about the padding included... Comes with 1.5mm and 1 mm padding and the concept is exactly the same as Easton E700. Padding are made of simple foam, not very cushiony, and like the E700, padding will thin out the more you wear the helmet. Didn't try the two different occipital pads, just went with the one that was already on the helmet...

5 - it's a bit pricey but if MIPS is as advertised, what's $249 if it protects my kid's noggin?! With all the money we spend on hockey, I don't care about the extra $50.

Overall, I was impressed with the MIPS system and the slightly lighter weight but like I said, it looks bulky af and padding could be more soft and comfortable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dig the helmet but unfortunately I am in between a small and a medium. The small with even the smallest pads is too tight and the medium with the biggest pads is too loose. This seems to always be the case though with helmets, I must have a strange shaped head or something as finding a helmet that fits me perfectly, other than an E700, seems nearly impossible. Every helmet I have ever owned I either had to cut padding out of or add padding to.

Its beyond annoying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never seen cage mounting clips used on the sides instead of J-clips. That would mean you wouldn't be able to flip open the cage when putting it on and taking it off. While I know it's possible to get a helmet off and on with the cage done up, it's a tight squeeze on a snug fitting helmet and I prefer to be able to undo the straps and flip open the cage. 

Edited by althoma1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Like this. It’s an ncaa thing. For some reason. 

32686F23-6043-4D8A-BD9A-86D831A11E25.jpeg

LOL. Yeah, I like the cage off my face a little but not THAT much. 

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Totally defeats the purpose.. 

I'll take some better pics of it on when I get back from Miami Beach. You'll see it's not that big. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...