Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jeff Rumson

Custom skates

16 hours ago, BesToss said:

13 business days?! That was really quick. When did you place your order? I placed my order on Tuesday (11/26) and the staff told me the waiting time is about 6-8 weeks.

I ordered them back in June. Pure hockey did them for me they told me 10-14 business days and that’s what it was

7 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

To be clear, I'm not saying the skates aren't *tight*, I'm saying that the overall shape of the boot relative to my foot varies from skate to skate. I believe this has to do with the excess negative space. And since I'm already using a Fit 1, I do not know how else I would go about reducing negative space in the overall boot. 

It really is a great-fitting boot for off the shelf, I just want to shrink it a little...

To eliminate the easy stuff, are you wearing the same socks every time you skate? & are you skating the same time of day for each skate?, both of those factors can play a part in eliminating negative space in skate....perhaps it can be a simple fix like different skate socks?

On 3/14/2022 at 10:45 AM, pgeorgan said:

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but wanted to ask:

Does the MyBauer customization process do anything to eliminate negative space? I have Fit 1 Hyperlites currently and before that I had 2x Pro and then 1x Pro 2.0, D-width.

I've noticed that, likely due to Bauer's new method of making skates built around their in-store scans for better off-the-shelf fit, my Hyperlites, while great in fit actually have more negative space than my old 1x Vapors. 

In fact, I have old 1s goalie skates that have even less negative space than the last two iterations of vapor player skates (goalie is my original position but have since transitioned away). 

I love my Hyperlites, but I've found that its hard to get consistent tightening and I'm constantly retying them on the bench. On days where I get the tie I want, the skates are really dialed in. I'm frustrated with the inconsistency since the amount of variation in my confidence and performance on these days is night and day. 

To be clear, I'm not saying the skates aren't *tight*, I'm saying that the overall shape of the boot relative to my foot varies from skate to skate. I believe this has to do with the excess negative space. And since I'm already using a Fit 1, I do not know how else I would go about reducing negative space in the overall boot. 

It really is a great-fitting boot for off the shelf, I just want to shrink it a little...

Are you using waxed laces? If not try those. I've never been a fan of the injected eyelets since they don't conform as well as traditional eyelets. 

Maybe a second bake to get the eyelet facings to wrap more?

22 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Are you using waxed laces? If not try those. I've never been a fan of the injected eyelets since they don't conform as well as traditional eyelets. 

Maybe a second bake to get the eyelet facings to wrap more?

I've always been told to never use waxed laces especially with the injected eyelets 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iceman8310 said:

I've always been told to never use waxed laces especially with the injected eyelets 

Unless there's a legitimate reason given to you why did you listen to it? Makes no sense to me. Stock laces are garbage. At minimum upgrade to better laces in general. 

5 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

I have used them in the past. That makes it too tight and they're difficult to adjust on the fly.

My beef isn't with "tightness", per se. It's with the shape of the boot. I believe there is more room for negative space to be taken out at the boot-level - including the wrap at the ankles - during the manufacturing process.

I'm primarily concerned with whether or not MyBauer or even CCM address this with their custom skate options. 

Give Howie's lightly waxed. They're much easier to deal with. 

For the negative space. What about insoles? Superfeet take up a good deal of space.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

I have used them in the past. That makes it too tight and they're difficult to adjust on the fly.

My beef isn't with "tightness", per se. It's with the shape of the boot. I believe there is more room for negative space to be taken out at the boot-level - including the wrap at the ankles - during the manufacturing process.

I'm primarily concerned with whether or not MyBauer or even CCM address this with their custom skate options. 

Howie's have just the right amount of wax. Elite has too much imo. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

I’m not super familiar with the intricacies of recent Bauer construction, but have they gone to thicker padding around the malleoli over those two recent generations? Did you bake your Hyperlights and if so did you try wrapping the ankle when you did? It sounds like reduced padding there might help achieve what you’re going for. Again, not super familiar but my impression is this is not a level of customization MyBauer offers.

Barefoot on the Bauer scanner I come up as a 7EE or 7 Fit 3.  When I hit the custom feature I come up 6.75 on the left and 7.25 on the right.  Using fit stock in the store I wound up going a full size down (5.75 and 6.25).  The scanner is just a starting point and I see some people go with the scanner recommendation while others often go 1/2 to 1 size down.  You have to determine how you want them to fit.

As for the HyperLites, the tongue is so thin that it feels much roomier to me than the 2X Pro did.  If I went My Bauer for those I'd probably opt for a more traditional felt tongue instead.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2022 at 3:49 PM, Sniper9 said:

Unless there's a legitimate reason given to you why did you listen to it? Makes no sense to me. Stock laces are garbage. At minimum upgrade to better laces in general. 

Where did I say to use stock laces?  I said you shouldn't use waxed laces.  There's plenty of aftermarket high end non waxes laces.  It's because with waxed laces the laces have less give in them.  It puts more stress on the eyelet system.  That's one of the reasons why they crack.  I personally use howies laces

Edited by iceman8310
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 1:45 PM, pgeorgan said:

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but wanted to ask:

Does the MyBauer customization process do anything to eliminate negative space? I have Fit 1 Hyperlites currently and before that I had 2x Pro and then 1x Pro 2.0, D-width.

I've noticed that, likely due to Bauer's new method of making skates built around their in-store scans for better off-the-shelf fit, my Hyperlites, while great in fit actually have more negative space than my old 1x Vapors. 

In fact, I have old 1s goalie skates that have even less negative space than the last two iterations of vapor player skates (goalie is my original position but have since transitioned away). 

I love my Hyperlites, but I've found that its hard to get consistent tightening and I'm constantly retying them on the bench. On days where I get the tie I want, the skates are really dialed in. I'm frustrated with the inconsistency since the amount of variation in my confidence and performance on these days is night and day. 

Seems like you are not really getting an answer here.  To the best of my knowledge the MyBauer customization changes are fairly cosmetic.. .tounge, liners etc...   they do not change the fit.

I was told that the 3D scan is the start and then the fitter can make custom specifications such as "AA heel size" or whatever your heel size is. Whether or not you pay extra for this or how you access this option (as it becomes a pro fit specification) at a retail level I don't know, I would have to go back to the Bauer employee I was talking to. At the end of the day if you pay for a custom fit from the scan of your foot and the heel is too wide then you should be asking for the skate to be remade to your specs.

But what I'd also consider is if you aren't getting consistency in your skating from one day to the next then don't look at the skate, look for the source of the issue which is your bio mechanics. I've gone thru this (and over the years tried every top end skate around in the mistaken attempt to fix the issue) and I've worked with dozens of skaters over the last 6 months who initially blamed their skates but after working on their ankles and alignments, all have come to the realization that it isn't the skate.

1 hour ago, dkmiller3356 said:

Seems like you are not really getting an answer here.  To the best of my knowledge the MyBauer customization changes are fairly cosmetic.. .tounge, liners etc...   they do not change the fit.

This is correct. 

7 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

I was told that the 3D scan is the start and then the fitter can make custom specifications such as "AA heel size" or whatever your heel size is. Whether or not you pay extra for this or how you access this option (as it becomes a pro fit specification) at a retail level I don't know, I would have to go back to the Bauer employee I was talking to. At the end of the day if you pay for a custom fit from the scan of your foot and the heel is too wide then you should be asking for the skate to be remade to your specs.

But what I'd also consider is if you aren't getting consistency in your skating from one day to the next then don't look at the skate, look for the source of the issue which is your bio mechanics. I've gone thru this (and over the years tried every top end skate around in the mistaken attempt to fix the issue) and I've worked with dozens of skaters over the last 6 months who initially blamed their skates but after working on their ankles and alignments, all have come to the realization that it isn't the skate.

There is a 3D scan and the other option is a Pro Fit, where you complete a document adjusting specifics. 

Here is the form: Bauer Custom Skates Order Form.xlsm 

In the past there was many more option available, but they have removed most of them. 

Edited by PBH

1 hour ago, dkmiller3356 said:

Disagree....depends on what the customer is looking for and how well the retailer/fitter documents it.

35 minutes ago, PBH said:

There is a 3D scan and the other option is a Pro Fit, where you complete a document adjusting specifics. 

Here is the form: Bauer Custom Skates Order Form.xlsm 

In the past there was many more option available, but they have removed most of them. 

That looks like an Excel spreadsheet for MyBauer Customs and not the Pro Custom one.

4 hours ago, mojo122 said:

Disagree....depends on what the customer is looking for and how well the retailer/fitter documents it.

That looks like an Excel spreadsheet for MyBauer Customs and not the Pro Custom one.

My rep said they no longer offer the Pro Custom options at retail level to any store.

This would be one level up from standard custom. 

9 hours ago, mojo122 said:

@mojo122 Tom, will they make sizing alterations?   

11 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

@mojo122 Tom, will they make sizing alterations?   

What specifically are you looking for?  Are you looking for changes from your current customs.  With all the top end skates at custom now composite I don't know whether less stiff than retail is something that Bauer can do as part of the MyBauer Custom Program?  The Ribcor 100K might be something you might want to explore.

4 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

Thank you to everyone that has chimed in so far! A wealth of knowledge, for sure. 

So is a more narrow heel ("AA" in one example provided) no longer an option? Or rather, the Pro Custom option? 

I wish these processes weren't so esoteric/proprietary. 

What's your forefoot width?  I've seen some skaters in the past with C width feet that would need a AA heel.  Bauer does reference the scan and fitter comments when making customs.

23 hours ago, mojo122 said:

What specifically are you looking for?  Are you looking for changes from your current customs.  With all the top end skates at custom now composite I don't know whether less stiff than retail is something that Bauer can do as part of the MyBauer Custom Program?  The Ribcor 100K might be something you might want to explore.

Oh. I am not looking for anything...  just trying to answer the original poster who wanted to adjust the fit of the skate.  Eventually tho I will need to replace mine and the issue will be my inside ankle bone which sits very far forward.

Can you advise me regarding instep, my left foot is lower but a bit longer than the right one. Will Bauer and ccm account for that? So that laces will go lower on one skate than the other?

On 3/22/2022 at 1:57 PM, yk15 said:

Can you advise me regarding instep, my left foot is lower but a bit longer than the right one. Will Bauer and ccm account for that? So that laces will go lower on one skate than the other?

I think you are asking if they will adjust the facing.

The answer is yes with CCM Total Custom Plus.

TRUE will usually adjust facing and eyelet placement without you asking, but I always include ion the notes details such as you mentioned.

Bauer can adjust if requested and you are doing a Pro order. 

Edited by PBH

Thanks, great to know that. True did not do it by default for me previously, so for my future orders I was wondering what are my actions.

Edited by yk15

Spent 4 years in True. Minimal issues aside from medial ankle pain and poor interior durability. Trying out some FT4 Pros (10 Regular) with the 90 day guarantee and I ran into an immediate problem. Reffed 4 beer league games yesterday and ended up with massive arch blisters. 

I had the same issues with True on a few occasions where I skated 10+ games in a weekend, but this was immediately noticeable and different. I have pretty flat feet and I pronate. What do I do here? More arch support? Punch the area out? Not really keen on dropping $1500 for Total Custom+. I tried Hyperlites (9.5 Fit 3) in store and the arch felt much better but I’m also not keen on taking an $1100 risk. Don’t want to go back to True as of now. Any advice?