Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ridindirty

Shoulder Pads for mens leagues

used the Sherwood shoulder the ones like the old coopers , but after taking a puck to the back I decided it was time to get something that offered a little more protection , I just picked up CCM U +12 LE shoulder pads got them on sale for 62 bucks they are super light , very low profile and offer great protection in my opinion , I wish I had picked them up sooner , wearing less padding for beer league just doesn't make any sense I also picked up a pair of pro stock reebok pants , I play d and im always blocking shots , just because its supposed to be non check doesn't mean you cant get injured , and we all have work the next day so id say good protection outweighs price any day ,I would have saved more money in the long run buy buying better more protective gear from the start , just my two cents

I really like the APX2 shoulders for weight, fit, and mobility. I've just tried them on, not used them in actual play, but I would be happy to own and use them from what I could tell in the store.

just offering my opinions on the shoulder pads and equipment in general , didn't realize I was taking a test.

Heh, just busting your balls :)

I own the Mako M5 shoulders. Pretty light and very protective I think. I didn't feel quite as mobile in them as I did in RBZ's, but I felt more protected, which is what I'd rather have.

I have found the most comfortable pairing to be the Sher-Wood T90 Undercover shoulder pads and the 5030 elbow and shin pads. I think the 5030 shins are the all-time most comfortable and the elbow pads are good for beer league just slide down a little sometimes. the T90 shoulders are great as far as protection and fit, plus they have the adjustable arm pieces so you can get the perfect length.

i was just browsing around and came across this football practice shirt made by Schutt, called the DNA Practice or DNA Protective shirt. might fit the bill for some people (looks like it's a little more than a padded shirt, a little less than a very basic shoulder pad). the shoulder caps themselves are removable it says. only thing i don't like the zipper however.

orig_DNA_Protection_Shirt.jpg

Made by whom?

Sorry about that, forgot to include the name, I edited my post. Schutt DNA Protective Shirt is the name of it. It doesn't look like it's available anywhere. I emailed the manufacturer to see if it is still made or if they have stock of it at least.

i was just browsing around and came across this football practice shirt made by Schutt...

I didn't have the name in there until he reminded me so I edited it.

I wish Down Low would make pads again. Amazing pads. Maybe I should kickstarter something similar? :P

The Tour padded shirt with the hard shoulder caps will likely be what I move to when my down low pads have had it.

I wish Down Low would make pads again. Amazing pads. Maybe I should kickstarter something similar? :P

The Tour padded shirt with the hard shoulder caps will likely be what I move to when my down low pads have had it.

which one is this? I haven't seen that one. I've seen Mission with hard shoulder caps that are held on with velcro, but not Tour.

which one is this? I haven't seen that one. I've seen Mission with hard shoulder caps that are held on with velcro, but not Tour.

Sorry, meant Mission. I'm not "down" with the roller brands so I often get them confused.

If you can find them, the ST16's were a low profile pad that had excellent protection. CCM U+ Pro's were also great. They are my current shoulder pads.

If I ever went back to normal shoulder pads (when I'm skinny, probably) I'll definitely be going CCM. Best fitting low profile shoulders out there. The CL was fantastic when I had them.

I ended up ordering the Reebok KFS Hybrids and a 9K shirt from Hockeymonkey today after lots of research and help from JoshV. Excited. first new shoulder pads since like 8th grade lol 20 years.

If anyone is interested I had seen some discussion of Lacrosse shoulders being used and had thought of it myself. They seem lighter and more minimal than hockey shoulders in general. I went to Total Lacrosse and tried on 4 different pairs of Lacrosse shoulders from Warrior, Nike, STX and Maverik. None of them were very comfortable. they were lightweight but the protective panels were very rigid feeling. Kind of felt like if you were to make a halloween costume out of cardboard. Lightweight but didn't conform well and wasn't comfortable at all. This was consistent across all 4 pads. the Nike was the most comfortable, but still less comfortable than the average hockey shoulder pad.

Hate to spoil the "minimal/light pads are better" party, but here we go:

Separated my AC joint in my left shoulder (last month) with some Crazy Lights on. Got tripped going full-speed and smashed into the boards. Since last month, I've been struggling every day to regain mobility of my left arm. Missed the rest of the season, missed work, and missed working out (huge for someone who was working out nearly every day). My thought is this was due to poor design/construction, where the shoulder caps tend to move up the chest when in a seated or bent over position (a common issue for those who own them). Aside from that, I'm also not too sure about its impact dispersion. I got jabbed in the kidney when crashing the net. Felt it all! Seems like they went a bit sparse on protection to enhance that lightness factor. All I can say is: Good luck. Hope they hold up for you guys in that time of need. Because every day has become an exercise in pain management.

Just to state for the record, I had a very similar incident a few years back when I was wearing my U+ Pros shoulders. Although I left the game with a sore shoulder (left arm again!), I was able to come back the following week and play in the game.

So I've just "downgraded" and I bought myself some CCM V08s. Only time will tell if they'll able to protect me like my U+ Pros did.

did you crash shoulder first into the boards? or did your arm our elbow impact first? No shoulder pad will make you immune to AC joint separation, you can get one by falling on an outstretched hand as well.

I don't think anyones saying they protect better, they just feel they are adequate for their level etc. I recently picked up some RBZ, It is my belief they will do me as well as my fit05 have, lets hope I don't get proven wrong, but ive gotten a shoulder injury wearing the old tank shoulderpads I wore when I was a young grinder in house league.

Just to state for the record, I had a very similar incident a few years back when I was wearing my U+ Pros shoulders. Although I left the game with a sore shoulder (left arm again!), I was able to come back the following week and play in the game.

So I've just "downgraded" and I bought myself some CCM V08s. Only time will tell if they'll able to protect me like my U+ Pros did.

+1 for the U+ Pro. Love mine even though I am always looking for different I never find anything else better.

+1 for the U+ Pro. Love mine even though I am always looking for different I never find anything else better.

If they're mediums and you ever want to sell them, let me know! :wink: