Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Duder84

Equipment Modifications

Just blacked out the white lines on my Vapor XXXX gloves. Looks 1,000 times better! The lighting in my place makes them look a little more glossier than they really are...

vapxxxxmodv.jpg

Quick question. Has anyone ever trimmed down the soft foam padding at the top of shin pads? I have an old pair of CCM Supra shin pads and the foam pads at the top are pretty long and interfer with the thigh padding on my girdle. I figure I can just undo the stitching, trim the foam and then sew it up again, but not sure if it is tough to hand sew this type of stuff and I dont want it to just rip.

I'm sure you could do exactly what you're talking about. It's not like that part shows, just make sure its sewn well enough that it won't tear. I will warn you though, i pretty much wrecked my fingers trying to sew through the chest guard and elbow pads.

I figured it might be a bit hard. I think I will give it a shot and see how it works out.

Just make sure you use a pretty large needle, it will save your fingers a lot of pain. The upper foam shouldn't be too tough to get through though, it's not all that much high density as compared to some of the other foam in various pieces of equipment.

I just sewed some velcro on to my shoulder pads last night to attach a belly pad extension to the back to give me some spine protection. Also sewed a piece of velcro to my Easton girdle for a place to attach the velcro tab when not in use (it was ripping the girdle material b/c it would grab it once I undid it), and also attached a little more padding the base of the spine area since it was lacking much protection there at all.

Quick question. Has anyone ever trimmed down the soft foam padding at the top of shin pads? I have an old pair of CCM Supra shin pads and the foam pads at the top are pretty long and interfer with the thigh padding on my girdle. I figure I can just undo the stitching, trim the foam and then sew it up again, but not sure if it is tough to hand sew this type of stuff and I dont want it to just rip.

I'm sure you could do exactly what you're talking about. It's not like that part shows, just make sure its sewn well enough that it won't tear. I will warn you though, i pretty much wrecked my fingers trying to sew through the chest guard and elbow pads.

I figured it might be a bit hard. I think I will give it a shot and see how it works out.

get a sewing awl

It's the first thing I do with shinpads and I'm not exactly shy about it. I just take an utility knife and slice it.

It's the first thing I do with shinpads and I'm not exactly shy about it. I just take an utility knife and slice it.

Hahaha I'll give that a whirl. Figured there would be other people that hate this part of shin pads. It gets in the way of my girdle and shell and makes it all bunch up...pretty annoying.

get a sewing awl

you can also use needle nose pliers. i did that on the leg pads i got. spent 20 hours on one set the other set 24 hours sewing them back up. they were sliced heavily to prevent someone from using them (were in a dumpster)

It actually wasnt too bad. Went with the utility knife and cut the stitching. Then I just cut the foam to the size and shape I wanted. I ended up just stitching the fabric around the foam and not through it, so it wasn't too bad on my fingers at all. I did a fairly decent job sewing it back up, not like anyone really is going to see them anyways. Thanks for the ideas guys.

get a sewing awl

you can also use needle nose pliers. i did that on the leg pads i got. spent 20 hours on one set the other set 24 hours sewing them back up. they were sliced heavily to prevent someone from using them (were in a dumpster)

Sounds like you fished out a defective pair. Shops are suppose to destroy gear returned as defective before tossing it.

shincut1.jpg

shincut2.jpg

JR thanks for the pics. You def. did a nice clean job on those. I didn't want to eliminate the foam padding entirely, but cut a good amount away.

i had to post this, that is just the worst ever thing i ever saw and that is possabily the worst handyman ever with no brain LOL

3357728104_3f13bee4c4.jpg3356909939_02cd9a7de9.jpg3357728424_aea51f29dc.jpg

Edited by HkY_GuY

Cut a Dr Scholls gel foot insole in half. Glued one side of velcro to the insole and stuck them inside my felt tounge to prevent lace bite. Works perfect and they stick on the skate. I need to post some pics.

Yes, i do that to every pair of shinpads i own too. I have really short legs and my pants are pretty long so they interfere, i had my mom use a knife and sew the edge. Always usefull to have a mother handy, lol.

Has anyone cut the biceps off there shoulder pads? I did on my pro tacks, my elbow pads go really far up my arm, didnt need it. Worked pretty good, teammates laughed at me though.

Edited by Leafsrule16

i had to post this, that is just the worst ever thing i ever saw and that is possabily the worst handyman ever with no brain LOL

3357728104_3f13bee4c4.jpg3356909939_02cd9a7de9.jpg3357728424_aea51f29dc.jpg

That is disgusting, why would you even bother?

About the tops of the shinguards... I used to trim that flap off too but the new Jofa/RBK's I have no don't even have it, they must have gotten smart and realized a lot of players don't care for it much.

*pics removed*

That is disgusting, why would you even bother?

All that's missing is some duct tape :lol:

Quick question that I can probably get an answer to here, rather than starting a new topic.

I've got old Koho 3380 elbow and shinpads. I've lost some of the stitching on the elbow pad, which makes the second strap/floating bicep protector move around during play.

On the shinpads, on the left leg, the stitching from the floating knee protection (on the side) has come loose, and again causes movement while playing.

The stuff is pretty low, or mid level gear at best, but it fits me perfectly, and I like it, so don't want to change it.

I just want to stitch it up.

What kind of needle do I need to look at to be able to pierce the layers of fabric to reattach it?

I'm assuming a regular sewing needle won't work, so I was hoping someone here knew or had experience in patching up pads.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

image0.jpg

That. I did that.

no that is cool ! How do you go about dying your skates ? as an offical I'm suppose to have black skates.. and if I don't get black skates I'dbe interested in doing that!

What kind of needle do I need to look at to be able to pierce the layers of fabric to reattach it?

I'm assuming a regular sewing needle won't work, so I was hoping someone here knew or had experience in patching up pads.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

I bought a set very similar to this one.

repkit30.jpg I found the curved needle to be very handy for the work I did on my shin pads. I had to sew behind the plastic padding and the curve helped out there.

image0.jpg

That. I did that.

no that is cool ! How do you go about dying your skates ? as an offical I'm suppose to have black skates.. and if I don't get black skates I'dbe interested in doing that!

Do they actually enforce that where you live? I officiate some games when i have the time and i wear white 9k pumps, nobody makes a fuss. I dont know what i would do, i dont have another pair of skates that are actually black.