Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

So I'm standing in my LHS waiting for my skates to be sharpened when a little kid 10 yrs old tops and his dad walk in. The kid probably 80 pounds walks straight to the sticks and picks up an Easton Classic shaft.

Kid:"Dad I need to buy this it's aluminum, Brendan Shanahan used one"(the shaft is taller than the kid probably 110 flex)

Dad:"OK just find a blade" (kid walks over to blades)

Me: you probably shouldn't buy that for him, he won't be able to flex it.

Dad: Could you stay out of my business

Me: Sorry, just trying to help(walk to get my skates and leave)

As I'm driving off I see them walk out with it, wow.

At least it was cheap.

yeah Merry Christmas! :dry: he still didn't need to be a jerk about it when he was about to invest 80 dollars into an unusable thing for his kid when I was just trying to help.

I don't work in a LHS, but i went to sportchek today and was near the skates section.

The employee was trying to sell skates to this woman buying it for her husband. He told her straight up Bauers can not be baked and only Reeboks could be.

Then she asked about the X15s and One60s because she said her husband had narrower feet. She wanted to know which one was better. The guy then states that the One60s are for forwards and the X15s are for defensemen because they provided more ankle support. And of course, he tries to sell the x15s for $150. She goes, well i do want him to have more ankle support so i'll take those (X15s). The One60s were only $20 more.

I wanted to say something... but didn't want to intrude.

I don't work in a LHS, but i went to sportchek today and was near the skates section.

The employee was trying to sell skates to this woman buying it for her husband. He told her straight up Bauers can not be baked and only Reeboks could be.

Then she asked about the X15s and One60s because she said her husband had narrower feet. She wanted to know which one was better. The guy then states that the One60s are for forwards and the X15s are for defensemen because they provided more ankle support. And of course, he tries to sell the x15s for $150. She goes, well i do want him to have more ankle support so i'll take those (X15s). The One60s were only $20 more.

Oh god... This makes me realize that it may actually be a good thing that Dick's doesn't sell hockey gear anymore. I'm sure I'd have someone in a green shirt trying to explain the difference between black tape and white tape when I came for clear tape and they didn't have any...

For the record the x15's have LOUSY ankle support. I've got em myself (They were $90, and I wanted skates ASAP). Fortunately the guys at my LHS really know their stuff, realize that they have a crappy selection, and often find themselves answering questions about products that they don't have.

All I can say about that is.... In that situation... start laughing. Maybe you'll catch the employee's attention, and the customer's, and when they ask why you're laughing, you can tell em that he's an idiot, and that the x15's are $60 overpriced. :facepalm:

Edited by Secti0n31

Shanahan was in the shop this morning. I asked him about 24/7 and the NHL office take on it. He said Boudreau doesn't look too good with the sauce on his face!

this morning's phone call:

Do you mount skates?

What have you got?

Well, I bought jackson figure skates for my daughter on the internet. I need the rest of the screws mounted.

sure, we can do that.

I'm not sure if I bought her the right size. If they are wrong I will have to return them.

Ok, maybe you should make sure they fit before you mount the screws.

Then, I want to come in and have her try on your skates to make sure I get the right size.

Needless to say, it went downhill from there very fast.

this morning's phone call:

Do you mount skates?

What have you got?

Well, I bought jackson figure skates for my daughter on the internet. I need the rest of the screws mounted.

sure, we can do that.

I'm not sure if I bought her the right size. If they are wrong I will have to return them.

Ok, maybe you should make sure they fit before you mount the screws.

Then, I want to come in and have her try on your skates to make sure I get the right size.

Needless to say, it went downhill from there very fast.

i am interested in the reminder of the conversation! lol

Funny thing is I was just at Sportchek and got told EXACTLY the same thing about Supreme vs Vapor... who's teaching all their staff?

I had pretty good ones this past couple weeks. A little background I work at Monkeysports N.J (for all you that didn't know, anyway)

Phone call:

Me: Thank you for calling Monkeysports, How may I help you?

Caller: Do you sell skates?

Me: Yes, we carry both Ice hockey and Roller hockey skates.

Caller: I'm looking for the ones that the guys on t.v. use.

Today parents come in with daughter, and want to get her dressed in equipment. So its time for helmets. And I show them the Mission/Bauer M-10 since she was a young girl. I tell them that they only come in Black and White. Proceeding question is: Do you have them in pink?

And this one was from a week or so ago.

I guy comes in wanting to buy skates. So I help him, he had size 13 shoe and I fit him for 11.5 skate. I bring a couple Bauers out so he can see the difference between vapor vs. flexlite vs. supreme. He asks: What is the most pairs of skates you had one person try on? I say like maybe 6 or 7 and proceed on explaining why.

Oh ok, he goes up to our skate wall and picks out 13 pairs of skates to try on. he falls in love with the Vapor 40's, and asks me if there is any other skate that feels better then this. So I answer, every skate feels different on everyone's foot but Grafs are basically made around foot specifics.

Customer: Oh can I try those?

Me: Yes, hold on let me get my manager so he can size you properly.

So after this is all said and done. He walks out, after trying 14 or 15 pairs of skates on, with a pair of Grafs in size 9.

at least he bought something. most stories like that either end up with the customer thinking the staffer is wrong and buying based on shoe size... or not buying at all after trying on 14 pairs and leaving behind a massive mess.

Sounds like you screwed up fitting him in the first place.

I wear a 9.5 shoe and wear a size 5.5/6 skate depending on brand, its weird but they fit me so it can happen a big difference in size from skate to shoe

Edited by Axxion89

Maybe the guy didn't know his shoe size...

95% of people I've seen buying skates don't wear the "correct" shoe size, especially in sneakers. You should never trust anything they say about sizing and measure them.

well i was asking him on every pair he put on. "are they big?" "Is your heel slipping at all?" and do your toes graze the to cap?" he replied yes to all. Also Going by Bauer's sizing 11.5 is for 13 size shoe. Correct me if I am wrong on anything. Please.

well i was asking him on every pair he put on. "are they big?" "Is your heel slipping at all?" and do your toes graze the to cap?" he replied yes to all. Also Going by Bauer's sizing 11.5 is for 13 size shoe. Correct me if I am wrong on anything. Please.

Sounds like you definitely screwed up. You trusted him.

He must have retractable toes to go down 2.5 sizes when he already fills out the length of the 11.5.

Edited by wrangler

Sounds like you definitely screwed up. You trusted him.

He must have retractable toes to go down 2.5 sizes when he already fills out the length of the 11.5.

I would hope he would know how a skate fits since hes been "skating a long time" but any pointers for the future like for the little guys I take out the footbeds and make them stand on it for the parents to see should I proceed on doing this with everyone?

As I said, don't believe anything people say and measure them yourself. Anything else is just being lazy.