Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OTHockey96

Pro's shoulder pads

I have the bauer sb60 pads (same as nike-bauer classics) and for that exact reason you mentioned i put the shoulder caps of my old bauer 4000 pads on the sb60s - perfect shoulder pads!

That's a good idea, but how did you go about doing this? I know I have a pair I can take the caps from, so this might work. Thanks!

To get this thread back in the right direction, here's a pic I found of Scott Niedermayer in his "pads," wow...

Edit Double post

Buy an awl and learn how to sew using it. Very valuable tool when you need it. You'll be able to repair a lot of your stuff by yourself.

Ask your goalie if he has one, it's not uncommon for goalies to pick one up for leather work. It's as useful for a goalie as a heatgun is for a skater that uses a shaft/blade combo.

Heh - I just sewed some plastic caps on the elbows of my Brown 503 for a little extra help with crease-clearance, and repaired a pair of R6 pants that I got for a song and a dance because of loose stitching. Lovely little tool, the sewing awl.

Now I just need to get myself a heat gun...

I'm surprised I've never seen any of you minimalist guys talk about these

No picture, no brand. What am I looking at?

The Itech minimalist pads for beer leaguers:

SP50.jpg

Looks like a Bro/Manzier. Nothing more than a glorified push up bra. :P

Buy an awl and learn how to sew using it. Very valuable tool when you need it. You'll be able to repair a lot of your stuff by yourself.

Ask your goalie if he has one, it's not uncommon for goalies to pick one up for leather work. It's as useful for a goalie as a heatgun is for a skater that uses a shaft/blade combo.

Thanks! Is this something you would recommend?

That's exactly what he is referring to. You can use it to punch small holes in leather and other coarse fabrics, then you can chase through the holes with heavy thread and repair a lot of your own equipment.

Pure beauties. Wish I still had the pair that was lying around the house. Mom had a nice garage/yard/house sale while I was conveniently away on a road trip in Calgary a long time ago. Never forgave her for that...

Pure beauties. Wish I still had the pair that was lying around the house. Mom had a nice garage/yard/house sale while I was conveniently away on a road trip in Calgary a long time ago. Never forgave her for that...

I had the kind with the red padding. A current beer league teammate has these with the blue. Was there any difference besides color? I want to say the red was an earlier model.

I had the kind with the red padding. A current beer league teammate has these with the blue. Was there any difference besides color? I want to say the red was an earlier model.

I honestly can't say. I got my pair from one of my teammates dads at the time. Man, if I could get a pair of these again, I'd so wear them again. They're probably more protective than my V-10's right now, haha.

I've always considered going with some of those old school shoulders whether they be the Nike Bauer versions, Sherwood 5030's or something else, but I'm a little concerned with the minimal spinal and sternum protection. Do any of you guys worry about this?

I've always considered going with some of those old school shoulders whether they be the Nike Bauer versions, Sherwood 5030's or something else, but I'm a little concerned with the minimal spinal and sternum protection. Do any of you guys worry about this?

Mine have a gap at the laces over my sternum. I don't block shots, I get out of the way.

That's exactly what he is referring to. You can use it to punch small holes in leather and other coarse fabrics, then you can chase through the holes with heavy thread and repair a lot of your own equipment.

Use #138 bonded nylon thread. It's indestructible, easy to work with, and relatively cheap. I got nearly three thousand meters in a spool for about $10. That'll have my grandchildren repairing my pads.

the NBH supreme classics have a 'sternum protector' that lays underneath the lace-up portion in the front. don't know how much protection it would offer, and i still wouldn't like to take a puck there, but i do like that they have that, whereas the 5030s don't.

i also like the smaller shoulder caps (5030s are wider, supreme classics are formed more to my shoulders)

If I played in a checking league, I'd probably opt for something more protective like RbKs. But for beer league, it's not an issue of concern. And I get out of the way of most slappers if I can.

Personally I think it's nutty for beer leaguers not to wear shoulder pads. More nutty than not rocking facial protection.

the NBH supreme classics have a 'sternum protector' that lays underneath the lace-up portion in the front. don't know how much protection it would offer, and i still wouldn't like to take a puck there, but i do like that they have that, whereas the 5030s don't.

i also like the smaller shoulder caps (5030s are wider, supreme classics are formed more to my shoulders)

The only thing they really so is keep the laces from bothering you. It's just a piece of foam! Believe me someone stuck their head there and I definitely felt it... Oddly enough, so did he.

haha...your post made me second guess myself, so i checked mine out and you're pretty much right. it does feel to me like there's some thin plastic in there as well, but for all intents and purposes, not much protection.

still, would take the sting out of getting hit a bit more than nothing, i'd imagine.

It's better than nothing but it's as clost to nothing as it gets. With that being said, that was one of the reasons why I bought them.

If I played in a checking league, I'd probably opt for something more protective like RbKs. But for beer league, it's not an issue of concern. And I get out of the way of most slappers if I can.

Personally I think it's nutty for beer leaguers not to wear shoulder pads. More nutty than not rocking facial protection.

In my beer league, shoulder pads are a rare sight, especially among the better players. Facial protection is becoming more common.

We used to have A, B, and C leagues. Now it's just one league with everybody in it. Almost all of the B and C guys wear shoulders and full cages. Very few of the A guys do. Heck, a fair amount of A guys don't wear pants or even a girdle. Now that's wacky.

BTW, I wear an inline girdle and an old school cage, but no shoulders. I have a sweet pair of old Coopers, but they just hang in the garage.