Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Player

Tacki-Mac Command Grip

Roll the grip up from the bottom working up to the top and pull it off. Use some Goo Gone to remove the residue. Then re-install with either Aquanet hair spray or water soluble golf grip adhesive.

I just ordered two of the Kane grips to try out.

The way to install is the same as a golf grip, I think I will just install them with golf tape and solvent (mineral spirits) seems the tape they provide is just the water based golf tape, which doesn't work as well on golf grips IMO as the solvent based tape. Solvent takes 24 hrs to dry completely but it will never move or come off. If you want to remove it to put on another stick you just have to get solvent inside of the grip to break down the glue.

love these things to death but omg they are extremely hard to get on, dunno if it was just bad luck but the last one i did took over an hour to get on...Yes tape was on correctly and it was wet

It just didn't want to slide down, was so happy when it finally slid all the way down

I was using hairspray until the grip simply slipped off while I was making a pass one game.

And then again the next game on a shot.

I did find that just hairspray would allow the grip to slip over time. I put the tape on and hairspray, and it hasn't budged. Figure when it wears out, I'll just cut it off, but I did put mine on a shaft so I'm not too worried about reusing it.

Im on the hairspray bandwagon too. Spray around the shaft and then inside the grip, slide the grip over and let dry. I absolutely love theses things!

Someone needs to come up with a 'spray-on' grip

Try this stuff Freesole. Its a urethane glue that I've been using on plain hockey tape for my grips. You can spread it really thin and gives great grip. Great on your palms too.

love these things to death but omg they are extremely hard to get on, dunno if it was just bad luck but the last one i did took over an hour to get on...Yes tape was on correctly and it was wet

It just didn't want to slide down, was so happy when it finally slid all the way down

An hour? Wow, I have two different ones (one 7" sand, one 7" wrapped) and once I had the tape applied and wet I was able to slide them on in about 10 seconds.

Did you take both sides of the double sided adhasive paper off? The first time I did it I took off the paper that stuck to the shaft and left the other side on on accident and tried to slide it on... Didn't work so well..

Did you take both sides of the double sided adhasive paper off? The first time I did it I took off the paper that stuck to the shaft and left the other side on on accident and tried to slide it on... Didn't work so well..

Question for anyone really.....I don't use the double sided tape that comes with it, but if you used that, and then sprayed hairspray on the inside of the grip, wouldn't that not only make it even easier to get on, but the combination of hairspray/tape stronger for holding the grip in place?

Question for anyone really.....I don't use the double sided tape that comes with it, but if you used that, and then sprayed hairspray on the inside of the grip, wouldn't that not only make it even easier to get on, but the combination of hairspray/tape stronger for holding the grip in place?

The tape holds it in place perfectly as is, and in terms of sliding it on, when you run hot water over the tape and rub it with your finger (as you're supposed to) it releases a sort of slippery glue slime that makes it super easy to slide on. If you're using the tape the hairspray just seems unnecessary.

Yeah I also used just the tape, it was maybe 5 mins of wiggling and pulling to get it on, not too big of a hassle. Getting it off though... :dry:

For the guys who want a thinner version of a tacki-mac, you might want to give this stuff a try. www.rescuetape.com

I have had it on my sticks for a few games now with good results so far. Should be able to find a version of it at any home depot type of store

I've done that and it makes it much easier to slide on. Spray inside the grip and spray the shaft. If it's still hard I use of of those rubber gripper pads for can lids, etc..to help get some extra hold to work it on.

Can't say I've ever seen a reason to use hairspray... the tape and solution that comes with the grip works just fine.

Anyway - the Kane is my favourite, I just wish they had the Kane grip but with a small knob!

Hairspray method is also great when it comes to removing the grip from the stick. Leas hassle.

The adhesive tape is a b1tch to remove, and thats even after taking a long time removing the grip from it.

I don't understand the difficulty people are having with this product. As long as you figure out whether you have the water based tape or the solution based tape (the clue is the solution based grips come with a q-tip and a bottle of solution), it really isn't that hard. They slide right on, and if you run the grip under hot water from the sink, the rubber becomes even easier to work with. I've probably installed 100 of these and haven't run into too many problems. And since these are really pretty cheap, I consider them expendable if and when I want to remove them. I think a $5 grip on a $230 stick falls into the "peanuts" category. Kinda like if I break a lace. About the same price. I buy a new pair of laces.

Getting it off for me involves slitting it from top to bottom and peeling it off. Takes about 10 seconds. The grip tape takes a little longer, but goo gone or similar product works.

Problems I've run into

- over saturating the tape with water, resulting in it never really drying and having the grip slip off or move. I categorize this as user error - in other words, my fault.

- I've torn one or two, but that was more about me not being careful. Warming up the grip with the hot water prior to installation eliminated this problem.

I find the ones with the solution to be slightly thinner, maybe because the tape itself seems thinner.

I've used golf grip tape instead. Works just as well.

I use the sand grip ones. They're pretty thin. And I have to say that I like these so much better than tape and they certainly seem to keep the palms of my gloves in great shape.