Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hudson14

NEW EASTON SE16 SKATES

Easton's glue issue scares the crap out of me. Here in Florida for more than 1/2 the year the temperature in a parked car can get close to what many manufacturers recommend baking your skates at. In less than ten minutes the temp can be higher than 120 degrees.

Never leave your skates in your car! I had to coach a few times after work and I walked into work holding my skates... talk about getting some odd looks. But much better than have a holder thats been sitting in my car all day break on me when I hit the cold ice... Or worse.

I have to think that a lot of these issues with the Easton skates come from baking incorrectly and possibly Easton recommends too much heat or what have you but glues shouldnt be breaking down as fast as some of these stories I've heard. I also have to question whether some of these issues could be solved with better storage practices. But who really knows

I'm truly amazed at how this stuff breaks "everywhere" but when I was with a shop that did $4mil + ...our rate of breakage and such was nearly 0 for all this stuff..

Skates like a Custom + with the non-parabolic runners. Nice and springy. But like I said, steel and hardware...

i just ordered a pair of s15 with the non-parabolic runners... they haven't arrived yet.. didn't ask for extra hardware was wondering if the hardware did happen to break.. they're not easy to find around these parts.. would i be able to use some kind of nut n bolt combination to hold it in place?

also..

n i got my superglue ready!

I have to think that a lot of these issues with the Easton skates come from baking incorrectly and possibly Easton recommends too much heat or what have you but glues shouldnt be breaking down as fast as some of these stories I've heard. I also have to question whether some of these issues could be solved with better storage practices.

I know that mine were baked correctly and mine come out of my bag as soon as a get home, the footbeds are taken out, and the skates air dry at room temperature. I only have a problem with the one skate, so I'm thinking that skate got less than enough glue and that's why it failed.

So far so good with super glue. As for the holders and steel, they wouldn't be my first choice, but I have no complaints with them either.

So somebody said that these skates are roomier than the 1500. With the Stealth being better suited to wider feet, what does Easton offer for a narrow foot now that they have eliminated the N width. I would be seriously interested in there skates if they had something narrower like a Vapor D width or Supreme C width.

We haven't replaced a cracked or broken Easton holder in years in our shop. We sell a fair number of Easton skates, too.

I've never had to replace a holder due to breakage either. Quite a few have sagged in the middle and I have replaced a few pieces of steel but never had one holder break. The hardware snaps easily if overtightened but it can be easily replaced with CCM hardware.

Interesting. Guess none have come my way over the past eight years, and there's a ton of Easton skaters in this area...that shocked me when I moved up here.

A lot of people around here had Easton skates, not many have them anymore.

I'm truly amazed at how this stuff breaks "everywhere" but when I was with a shop that did $4mil + ...our rate of breakage and such was nearly 0 for all this stuff..

Yes isn't it amazing. Anyone can say anything they want on a board, be it true or otherwise. Often they leave out the important details, like how they bought them used on ebay and baked them in their own oven for 1/2 hour, etc.

I have never replaced a single broken Easton holder, and perhaps just one or two LPS2 runners. The durability on these is outstanding.

baking your skates is way over rated, all it does is shorten break in time right? people are too impatatient, if baking can "damage" your skates like people are suggesting here, just wait an extra week or two for your skates to break in, wrap your feet to avoid blisters, better than having damaged skates

i believe they are going to add the narrower width and the taking away of the narrow was just for the s15, so says a LHS employee

Yes isn't it amazing. Anyone can say anything they want on a board, be it true or otherwise. Often they leave out the important details, like how they bought them used on ebay and baked them in their own oven for 1/2 hour, etc.

I have never replaced a single broken Easton holder, and perhaps just one or two LPS2 runners. The durability on these is outstanding.

I personally broke two guys razor blades with shots last season. Then again both of those guys went out and bought new skates, no retailer would have seen them. Because the shops around here tend to suck, people buy their replacements online. $90 for new holders plus $35 to install them is hard to justify when you can buy new skates for $150 online.

baking your skates is way over rated, all it does is shorten break in time right? people are too impatatient, if baking can "damage" your skates like people are suggesting here, just wait an extra week or two for your skates to break in, wrap your feet to avoid blisters, better than having damaged skates

i believe they are going to add the narrower width and the taking away of the narrow was just for the s15, so says a LHS employee

Proper baking doesn't damage skates.

You've got to remember that a lot of these shop workers dont bother learning or checking on how to properly bake skates, they just go based on what they first learned how... It's rare to find a MSHer type of shop employee at a LHS.

Also, Easton with all these glue issues might have misinstructed how long to bake their skates or maybe they chose the wrong formula of glue to withstand thebaking process... but that is just a theory.

Of course this could just be the luck of the draw on what skates will fall apart and which wont.

Look at rolston he wearing the SE16 Rolston

We haven't replaced a cracked or broken Easton holder in years in our shop. We sell a fair number of Easton skates, too.

I've worked my LHS for 2.5 years now and i think ive seen 1 set of steel and 1 holder broken for easton, Tuuk is the most common that come back broken but they are also used alot more.

the ankle will be wider not the skate in general, cause i have heard the ankle described as a dog biting your ankle for the first 5 skate sessions, in response to the wider skate question on page 3

Is the EPro holder a direct replacement for the Easton holder or does it require drilling new holes?

After buying many pairs of skates online with no luck I went to my LHS who is very good and tried on every skate in the store that fits. The Synergy 500, Synergy 800 and CCM Vector 6 are the final 3. If the Easton skate wins the extensive fitting process I'm hoping none of these horror stories come true.

I do like the Epro so that swap would be ok