Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JGraz15

2008-09 Gear Sightings

%7Boption%7DGagner's stick

Baby powder on the grip tape? What does that do? Either way cool pic.

Gives us something to talk about...*L*

Don't know if it's been covered, but are those TPS R8 gloves rebranded as SherWood?

Indeed they are:

PNJ109041123_1024x768.jpg

It was hard to tell from the first pic, but I think it's pretty clear on this one...

Baby powder on the grip tape? What does that do? Either way cool pic.

Saves the tape residue from eating through your palms. Been doing it for years (OK, decades) :ph34r:

I've found baby powder works on the stick grip to make it less sticky too (you have to re-apply it each game and/or period)...

I've found baby powder works on the stick grip to make it less sticky too (you have to re-apply it each game and/or period)...

Sweet, i'm going to start doing it now.

04-habsFOUR8preview.jpg

My guess: he's taking the inverese tape stick (which some players use to grip their sticks) to take off the sticky tape residue off the bottom of his blade?

No, he's adding friction to the heel of the blade. He does mid to toe so the heel is open.

care to elaborate please?

I noticed Kovy only tapes mid to toe but why? What does not taping the heel do (other then marginally reducing the weight of the blade)? wouldn't it negatively affect his passing & wristers?

No, he's adding friction to the heel of the blade. He does mid to toe so the heel is open.

I noticed Kovy only tapes mid to toe but why? What does not taping the heel do (other then marginally reducing the weight of the blade)? wouldn't it negatively affect his passing & wristers?

Faster hands, less drag/friction. Same concept as those who exacto-knife the bottom of the tape. I've been doing it lately because my hand speed isn't very good anymore (being 4 yrs since playing hockey on a regular basis).

Maybe in Kovalev's case, it's too slick, but needed a little.

Faster hands, less drag/friction. Same concept as those who exacto-knife the bottom of the tape. I've been doing it lately because my hand speed isn't very good anymore (being 4 yrs since playing hockey on a regular basis).

Maybe in Kovalev's case, it's too slick, but needed a little.

I'm not 100% sure, but from what I've seen on TV, I think kovey does the less-drag exacto knife trick too. heres the best i could find.

85480884.jpg

And the "less-drag Exacto knife trick" is what exactly?

Cutting the tape off the edge of the blade with an exacto knife

So in my head I'm picturing he has no tape on the bottom of his stick? sorry I can't really see the pic.

Right.

Jr do you find that makes a difference? it probably makes the duribility go way down eh?

Yes. In the case with the wood blades I've used over the past couple of months, the blade wrap will split faster in the heel.