Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Sweet Spot, I get coaching from my son. Funny, I talk about S&P above, but go out with the pups & my son breaks down my skating and tells me(in his way, he's really gentle), do this! He works me, my legs are still a little fatigued. Added bonus, he works my daughter, but she has a harder time thinking she can learn from him.... Sibling $hit...

• Like 3

Skated in my very first pickup game last night at age 54. Had a blast and will be playing hockey as often as I can manage. Pretty chuffed!

• Like 7

Skated in my very first pickup game last night at age 54. Had a blast and will be playing hockey as often as I can manage. Pretty chuffed!

I told you that you are ready!!!

Were the church boys there?

Whitefish at 9:15 on Sundays, 9:15 tomorrow night, this and next week only. :)

It's a faster skate, but people are probably even more conscious to pass to beginners and give you space.

Had a great pickup session with the inline group today. Beautiful, clear, bright, cold day. Definitely feel like I'm improving, making solid saves, even "won" a couple rounds (of play-til-10). Just for good measure of course gave up a few awful goals and made a couple of crazy, how-did-that-even-happen saves. Best possible way to spend a New Year's Day. (or, really, any day off.) :biggrin:

• Like 1

Had a great pickup session with the inline group today. Beautiful, clear, bright, cold day. Definitely feel like I'm improving, making solid saves, even "won" a couple rounds (of play-til-10). Just for good measure of course gave up a few awful goals and made a couple of crazy, how-did-that-even-happen saves. Best possible way to spend a New Year's Day. (or, really, any day off.) :biggrin:

Always seems like the hard ones are easy to stop and the easy ones are hard to stop!

There's a high correlation (for me) between 'fantastic save' (like Saturday's sprawled-on-the-line glove save) and 'way out of position, never do that again'. Things just seemed to flow today.

My son netted his first collegiate goal in Seattle, playing UW in a ACHA PAC8 showdown.

Miss playing competitive hockey. ACHA gave me a chance to play it for 4 more years. Hope you son has as much fun as I did: it goes by pretty fast!

• Like 1

There's a high correlation (for me) between 'fantastic save' (like Saturday's sprawled-on-the-line glove save) and 'way out of position, never do that again'. Things just seemed to flow today.

Haha I love when they shoot right into my glove and I get the "WOW WHAT A SAVE" from the guys on the ice. :)

On that note, nothing is sweeter than just starting to play goalie and having the guys I play pickup with telling me they don't even bother trying to go glove hand because it's a wasted shot. Makes up for my lack of ability to stop pucks everywhere else I guess :P

Haha I love when they shoot right into my glove and I get the "WOW WHAT A SAVE" from the guys on the ice. :)

On that note, nothing is sweeter than just starting to play goalie and having the guys I play pickup with telling me they don't even bother trying to go glove hand because it's a wasted shot. Makes up for my lack of ability to stop pucks everywhere else I guess :P

Yeah, I got that from the ones bouncing off my blocker yesterday. It is pretty flattering when the skaters don't believe you when you say you've only been playing for six months, though.

That's right, you grew up playing catcher, right? I wouldn't try glove side on you either. :laugh:

Yeah, I got that from the ones bouncing off my blocker yesterday. It is pretty flattering when the skaters don't believe you when you say you've only been playing for six months, though.

That's right, you grew up playing catcher, right? I wouldn't try glove side on you either. :laugh:

I remember the looks I got when I played for the first and second time ever and nobody knew until after the skate! haha

Yea, I was a catcher. It's great for the glove but sometimes I use my glove when I probably should be using my stick or leg pad... I picked up a puck that was shot along the ice in my glove once... oops.

I remember the looks I got when I played for the first and second time ever and nobody knew until after the skate! haha

Yea, I was a catcher. It's great for the glove but sometimes I use my glove when I probably should be using my stick or leg pad... I picked up a puck that was shot along the ice in my glove once... oops.

At least the blocking instincts are there, you just have to remember to put the legs out to the side and not behind you.

At least the blocking instincts are there, you just have to remember to put the legs out to the side and not behind you.

Yup! It will get better. I'm just happy I'm not absolute crap at it. I honestly think I'm already better in goal than I am skating out.

Switched to the P91a for the heck of it (after a 3 year hiatus) and am back in love. Stick handling is a bit off right now as I am trying to dial in the height, but my shots have never been harder. My goalie gloved a snapper and told me that his hand was killing him after!

• Like 1

My U14 girls team scrimmaged against the Squirts last night. We only had 3 actual U14-aged (2000 and 2001) girls, and the rest were 2004's and 2005's.

Girls won 5-2. :)

My 2003 played with them and was a beast playing D against her old 2004 teammates. :)

The little girls who had been afraid to play with boys their age are suddenly not afraid to play against boys their own age. :) :)

• Like 4

I was called at the last minute to be a league captain and participated in my first draft last night.

The local leagues run two sessions per season, and there's a draft for each session. It's pretty cool because even a powerhouse team only lasts two months, and everyone has the opportunity to move up (or down) a division if their play improves (or worsens!).

11 skaters per team, five teams in our C division, so we'll all get plenty of skating time.

I think I drafted a pretty solid team of above average consistent players--no crazy hot shots, no slower players, some returning seasoned players who have taken a few years off.

We have a great A-league forward on our team this year, our goalie!

We also have the best B League goalie on our team--she is skating out with us. :)

I'm bushed--played dropin until 11:30 on Sun and Tue, hung out with my rookie skaters until after 10 on Weds, late night at draft last night; I need a nap, but life is good!

• Like 4

First inline game in 13 or 14 years. Well it was drop in. Did better than I expected too and didn't fall once which was pretty much my goal. Next step, getting used to the lighter puck

Played goalie on-ice for the first time, after accidentally stumbling onto a pickup game on my way to a goalie clinic this morning. Was spectacularly bad and thoroughly enjoyed it. :biggrin: It's going to take me a few rounds to get used to skates + pads. That plus the clinic is two hours in pads on ice this morning, which means I will totally regret this decision tomorrow, but right now I'm in that nice buzzed 'I wish I could do this all day' phase.

(eta: yes, I apologized for being terrible.)

Edited by badger_14