Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

Portuguese?

Yup. I'm okay if I have one of the guys I'm teaching with me who can translate but I'm screwed if I'm alone. I feel like a child or somebody who is mute because everything waiters say to me I have to look at him, he repeats in English, and I just nod yes or no.

Oh well, only here until Friday.

Another year of no championships in Cleveland

As someone else mentioned " factory of sorrow".

I can say that as a Cleveland Expat. Go Tribe

Yup. I'm okay if I have one of the guys I'm teaching with me who can translate but I'm screwed if I'm alone. I feel like a child or somebody who is mute because everything waiters say to me I have to look at him, he repeats in English, and I just nod yes or no.

Oh well, only here until Friday.

Never go overseas without learning at least a few phrases to help get you by and it never hurts to carry a translation book. Sure, you'll butcher the pronunciation and such but they'll at least respect and appreciate the attempt. Heck, there are even phone apps you can use to help you get by.

Edited by chippa13
  • Like 1

Never go overseas without learning at least a few phrases to help get you by and it never hurts to carry a translation book. Sure, you'll butcher the pronunciation and such but they'll at least respect and appreciate the attempt. Heck, there are even phone apps you can use to help you get by.

"Inglês?" has become my most used phrase at this point. Heh.

I have "Alo" app on my Apple Watch, which will translate my speech and actually speak the translation, but it can be slow because the 3G is slow as crap here. Should have bought a translation book, even a really basic one.

But at the same time, my boss told me everyone here speaks English. That's why I didn't prepare at all. But they definitely do not. Oh well. Most of the other places on my list will. (South Africa, Australia, Sweden, Germany, Amsterdam, London are all on my list) Even in places like Germany people will usually speak some English.

The ones I said no to were Pakistan, China, Japan and Mexico.

The biggest lies ever told:

"No, its fine with me if you want to go have fun with your friends."

"I just had the one beer with dinner, Officer."

"Everybody speaks English there."

• Like 5

People who speak three languages are called trilingual

People who speak two languages are called bilingual

People who speak one language are called American

The biggest lies ever told:

"No, its fine with me if you want to go have fun with your friends."

"I just had the one beer with dinner, Officer."

"Everybody speaks English there."

The ones I heard were different.

As someone else mentioned " factory of sorrow".

I can say that as a Cleveland Expat. Go Tribe

and the tribe lost 17-0 yesterday...

All of the tech labs I built for the students in my class in Brazil failed spectacularly, and looks like I'm going to be taking a lot of shit for it.

Decided in playing for my high school team this year, and I found out that we only have 12 skaters, and we still don't have a goalie.

the only good thing is all the ice time.

wow, were my skates in bad shape. I should have taken before and after pics, it was that extreme. I actually had to stop and let the steel cool so I didn't ruin them.

Went out to skate in my brand spanking new 1X skates tonight. I was so excited! I had LS2 steel put on them so that my adjustment wouldn't be too much. Felt great on my feet. Fit perfectly. You can just really feel the whole "no negative space" thing. I am locked in. So.... I walk to the ice..... take a few cautious strides to the bench. Go to stop and BAM! My left edge just fucking locks right there! My blade doesn't give at all and my whole body proceeds to rotate around my left foot. I went falling ass over tea kettle like a total noob who had never skated before and KA-BAM onto my ribs knocking all the wind out of me and getting what is sure to be a nasty bruise on my upper rib cage.

I tried gutting it out to begin the break in process but I really could hardly skate and I could stop left at all. I can feel how responsive the skate is but I felt like I had no control over myself. I could stop to the right somewhat but not at all to the left. I don't know if I have it in me to make this transition.... ugh... bummed. I suck.

Try going to the next shallower hollow for your next skate. My first skate on mine on 3/4's felt as if I was skating on a 1/2". Took me a few skates to overcome that, but now have them dialed in.

• Like 1

Try going to the next shallower hollow for your next skate. My first skate on mine on 3/4's felt as if I was skating on a 1/2". Took me a few skates to overcome that, but now have them dialed in.

Was going to suggest the same thing.

On a similar note, I had my last set of runners sharpened by a new person. It took me a while but I finally got on them and was catching edges left and right. Thinking the edges were a bit too deep for me (I requested 100/75 too)

Gene, if you requested 100/75, then you requested one of the commonly available FBV options with significant bite (compared to a 3/8" standard hollow on some charts). For someone your size 90/50 (compared to 1") or 90/75 (compared to 5/8") would likely be more appropriate. Perhaps you meant to ask for 90/75?

I also agree that Dave should try a shallower hollow as well. A more responsive skate with zero negative space allows you to feel your edges quite well and can make them feel sharper vs a softer skate or one that doesn't fit as well.

• Like 1

Was going to suggest the same thing.

On a similar note, I had my last set of runners sharpened by a new person. It took me a while but I finally got on them and was catching edges left and right. Thinking the edges were a bit too deep for me (I requested 100/75 too)

I went back to day and had my hollow moved from 3/8 to 1/2. I went on the ice for a few minutes and it was a bit better. I'm going to take some time to work on breaking these in... hopefully it will be worth it.

My teammates have spammed my Twitter feed tonight, crying about Oshie not being on the Blues anymore.. I should ask them how Coors Light tastes with tears in it.

Gene, if you requested 100/75, then you requested one of the commonly available FBV options with significant bite (compared to a 3/8" standard hollow on some charts). For someone your size 90/50 (compared to 1") or 90/75 (compared to 5/8") would likely be more appropriate. Perhaps you meant to ask for 90/75?

I also agree that Dave should try a shallower hollow as well. A more responsive skate with zero negative space allows you to feel your edges quite well and can make them feel sharper vs a softer skate or one that doesn't fit as well.

I think i did mix up the FBV values. Lesson learned !