Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

A guy I started playing hockey with about 15 years ago passed away last night - heart attack. He had two daughters in college. While I haven't played with him in many, many years and really wasn't particularly close I can't help but be shaken. Not only is it a tragedy on its own, I can't help but be reminded of my own mortality. RIP Alex Milman. You had a great passion for the game, you were a good guy and you will be missed.

• Like 4

A guy I started playing hockey with about 15 years ago passed away last night - heart attack. He had two daughters in college. While I haven't played with him in many, many years and really wasn't particularly close I can't help but be shaken. Not only is it a tragedy on its own, I can't help but be reminded of my own mortality. RIP Alex Milman. You had a great passion for the game, you were a good guy and you will be missed.

Terrible news. Sorry to hear that, my thoughts are with his family and friends.

I just found out that one of my old kayaking friends from the northeast lost his son to drugs/suicide. My friend is about 10 years older than me, and had 3 sons who are in their early 20's--the son he lost left a young wife and two toddlers behind. :(

My buddy is a super cool guy, devoted dad, strong role model, etc. It's just crushing to think that even when you think you've done everything right as a parent that something like this could still happen.
As with dkmiller3356's note that his friend's passing reminds him of his own mortality, this event reminds me of my own daughters' mortality--and it TERRIFIES me.

It makes my head and my heart hurt.

Hug your kids, hug your wife/GF/SO, and call your parents and tell them that you love them. Life is short. Live it.

Bad asthma has been cramping my style for a month or so. I ran out of my inhaler last week, and because my health plan hasn't kicked in yet, had to go to the urgent care to see a doctor for a new prescription, and then pay $72 out of pocket for said inhaler. 3x a day, plus a steroid inhaler (from a prior illness), plus claritin just in case, and I'm still sludging around and coughing/wheezing all the time. (I still end up fortifying myself and going to hockey, because I need to clear my head and talk to people who aren't nurses, patients, or small children.)

• Like 1

I'm only liking the fortifying yourself and going anyway.

My kid had a nasty bout with pneumonia. I'm glad for every minute she's on the ice.

She uses an inhaler for gym but not yet for hockey.

• Like 1

I'm only liking the fortifying yourself and going anyway.

My kid had a nasty bout with pneumonia. I'm glad for every minute she's on the ice.

She uses an inhaler for gym but not yet for hockey.

Sometimes I question the sanity of going anyway, but I've been trying to stay active as much as reasonable through this bad stretch. Gotta keep the diaphragm and those nice intercostal muscles strong if I'm going to cough my face off, right?

Being sick with asthma is so much worse for kids. My sympathies. Usually I only need the inhaler for hockey (cold air + active), or running a lot/sprinting.

Going under the knife again. A need to have a couple of hernia's repaired. With some luck this will be it for a while. I've had my share of procedures and surgeries the last year and a half. This will be my tenth....

• Like 2

My wife died this morning.

I'm sorry for your loss and send my sympathies. Surround yourself with family and friends. What a terrible thing.....

My wife died this morning.

Chadd,

Getting on in age now and being married for almost 25 years I would not want to be in your shoes. The loss from what I read was a devastating one. Nothing can be said to make someone feel better at a time like this. No matter what when you lose a loved one there can be nothing but sympathy and compassion. You have a large family here and lots of support along with your family there. So sorry for your loss. Jeff