Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Bauer Supreme TotalONE

Vaths come on...It is obvious you hate everything Bauer is and everything they offer. It is also obvious from DS50's links that you love CCM. That is great, glad you found a brand that fits and that you love. Please realize a couple of things...CCMs don't fit everyone, Bauers fit some people very well, yes some people only buy Bauer to buy Bauer but isn't that true of almost any product (TVs, computers, phones, etc).

I don't know, have never met or spoken to any of the mods on this board. JR didn't offer up anything based on one skate and you immediately make the leap that he is an inside man for Bauer. Over the years he's demoed plenty of gear from plenty of manufacturers and posted objective reviews of everything. Maybe he liked it, maybe he didn’t but in the end it’s his OPINION of the gear. Don’t criticize someone b/c you don’t agree w/ their opinion.

Fine you hate Bauer, don't like what JR has to say, love CCM, will forever rip on Bauer users, and will probably post more ridiculous diatribes in the future.

Some advice...come down off the ledge, pop some valium, and think before you type.

Not to get off topic again but people wonder why hockey is a dying sport in the us. When some kid needs new skates, sticks and whatever else every year plus ice time. Even if you have money its to expensive. These hockey companies need to come down in prices. Do they know the economey sucks. $800.00 is rediculous for a pair of skates and so is $600.00 specialy when they only last a couple of years. Don't get me wrong I own all top off the line equipment as do alot of people on this thread but equipment is way over priced. It would be different if skates lasted like the old skates but the don't. Its all plastic junk made in china. With that said I need new skates when is the TO and one100 coming out? ;)

I'll ask again...where are "we" getting the $800 sticker price?

the one95s have a MSRP of $780 but sell for $550 or less all day long...so is the thought these are going to have an MSRP of $1050 and sell for $800 or have an MSRP of $800 and sell for $800?

I don't think I've ever seen a skate sell for retail and I can't imagine this will be the first...although I could very well be wrong.

I received my info from a close friend who works at my LHS. His words were $800 and not a penny less or they can get their account pulled. I take that to mean the MSRP is $800 but is more like a MR(Required)RP. He said this right in front of the owners and they had no reaction and made no claim to the contrary.

This is a Bauer first line dealer, matches internet pricing and the owners (and my buddy) are straight shooters. I'll believe them until I see otherwise.

FWIW, $800 seems really high, but the guys and the shop and those in the know on this board have indicated this is an industry changing skate.

At this price they will either justify the cost through increased performance or they will lose customers who are disappointed and feel ripped off if the skates don't meet expectations.

In the end it's just a skate and if you suck on $300-400 skates you'll still suck on $800 skates. As always buy the brand and model that fits you the best.

at least I know I'll still suck in $800 skates...I'm waiting for the $1000 skates that make me better...I'll buy them also :rolleyes:

Oye oye

[...]

First I don't know how you guys got there - look like brainwash to me (or maybe the guys who posted are some teens???) - ... damn... no need to graduate from Harvard to see that at 800dollars the margin is huge [...] But i respect that i'm still a student so i can't really judge. But please don't turn into apple stupid fans...

[...]

Just a bit dissappointed that's it ... MSH is losing it soul. No more free electrons opening their mouth liking criticizing for their own sake.. just a bunch of sheeps sitting quietly <_<

I am sensing a theme here: a theme of education, or rather, its absence.

at least I know I'll still suck in $800 skates...I'm waiting for the $1000 skates that make me better...I'll buy them also :rolleyes:

Well I wasn't saying you suck...all I was saying is that does it really matter what they cost. They aren't going to make you better, just like a stick or any other piece of equipment won't. It will be a "gotta have" for many players and they will most likely sell, just like the one95, one90, XXXX, XXX, etc. My point was don't buy it b/c it’s the next best thing, buy it b/c it fits you properly.

Sorry if you misinterpreted my thought as a potshot at you, it certainly wasn't. For the record I am the first in line in the "equipment doesn't make you better but I enjoy spending my disposable income on high end gear" category (much to the chagrin of my wife).

I'll ask again...where are "we" getting the $800 sticker price?

the one95s have a MSRP of $780 but sell for $550 or less all day long...so is the thought these are going to have an MSRP of $1050 and sell for $800 or have an MSRP of $800 and sell for $800?

I don't think I've ever seen a skate sell for retail and I can't imagine this will be the first...although I could very well be wrong.

MAP in USA is 800. (Minimum Advertised Price). Will there be some dealers who sell at 700-750 to their buddies/best customers/to make a sale? Almost a guarantee. But HM/HG/TH will HAVE to sell at 800 on the net. They'll say the "regular price" is probably in the 950-1000 range though, but its 800. For Canada its probably MAP'ed at 900, but will sell from 800-1100 i'd guess. IIRC our rep did say that it was at a HARD 800, meaning troubles if you sell below that and get caught, however, there will still be dealers that bend the rules a bit.

And as for the one95s have a MSRP of 780? total bullshit. Its just something HM/HG/TH say so they can get people to think the skate on their site is a hell of a deal. If anyone was selling them at that price they'll still have a good quantity left. MAP for that skate was 650, most stores i know had it between 600-675.

That makes sense...sounds like I need a buddy at a dealer...

Well I wasn't saying you suck...all I was saying is that does it really matter what they cost. They aren't going to make you better, just like a stick or any other piece of equipment won't. It will be a "gotta have" for many players and they will most likely sell, just like the one95, one90, XXXX, XXX, etc. My point was don't buy it b/c it’s the next best thing, buy it b/c it fits you properly.

Sorry if you misinterpreted my thought as a potshot at you, it certainly wasn't. For the record I am the first in line in the "equipment doesn't make you better but I enjoy spending my disposable income on high end gear" category (much to the chagrin of my wife).

No, no...I was saying I suck...and I'll still suck with $800 or $8000 skates on but I love to play and love to have the latest and greatest gear (edit* - that fits me the best - customs for now)!

I am hoping one day somebody will make a stick to make my slapshot harder, pants to make my fat gut go away, and skates that make me fast...until then it's expensive (wasted on my talent) gear that I own because I can (edit* and it fits well and feels good on).

But this year if I have to give a price for the best skate it would be definitely CCM... one95 (downgrade from the one95), vapor x60 (repainted XXXX)

this line makes me :lol: and :( at the same time. if he'd even tried on or looked at a pair of x60's, he'd know they're a completely different skate from the xxxx's. i sense a troll.

That makes sense...sounds like I need a buddy at a dealer...

No, no...I was saying I suck...and I'll still suck with $800 or $8000 skates on but I love to play and love to have the latest and greatest gear (edit* - that fits me the best - customs for now)!

I am hoping one day somebody will make a stick to make my slapshot harder, pants to make my fat gut go away, and skates that make me fast...until then it's expensive (wasted on my talent) gear that I own because I can (edit* and it fits well and feels good on).

Sounds like we are in the same boat...from what I can tell there are many like us on MSH...I'm not a boozer or a car/motorcycle guy so I have to spend $$$ on something. Might as well be a game that I love but doesn't always love me back.

Raganblink - Thanks for the insight...

Not to get off topic again but people wonder why hockey is a dying sport in the us. When some kid needs new skates, sticks and whatever else every year plus ice time. Even if you have money its to expensive. These hockey companies need to come down in prices. Do they know the economey sucks. $800.00 is rediculous for a pair of skates and so is $600.00 specialy when they only last a couple of years. Don't get me wrong I own all top off the line equipment as do alot of people on this thread but equipment is way over priced. It would be different if skates lasted like the old skates but the don't. Its all plastic junk made in china. With that said I need new skates when is the TO and one100 coming out? ;)

The high cost of ice time is what is hurting more than the cost of gear. Just because a manufacturer has a top of the line skate at $800 or what have you doesn't mean that is what parents have to buy for their kids. You can step down 1 or 2 models from the top and get a very good skate for a somewhat reasonable price.

Not for nothing, if you keep buying top of the line gear that is way overpriced then what is to stop the manufacturers from pricing that way.

Yeah, just because something is topline doesn't mean you need to get that model. Two-three down the line and your still getting quality gear, tpyically it isn't AS comfortable and light, but still really nice...

Im not talking about me... Most of these kids out there which are the future of hockey all want the best stuff. Yes ice time is a big part of it but also add on EXPENSIVE GEAR, its too much money. The sport is dying face it. You would think these big comanys could figure out a way to decrease prices so more people could play. Sooner or later only the upper class will be playing.

Yeah, just because something is topline doesn't mean you need to get that model. Two-three down the line and your still getting quality gear, tpyically it isn't AS comfortable and light, but still really nice...

Even lower model stuff is expensive. $100.00 for a low end stick, come on. There is a big difference between one75 and one95 stick. Do any of them help you play better, NO. But any little bit that helps us out there is a plus even if its just comfort not preformance.

The future of hockey are the little kids who are just getting into the game, the ones who have no idea of what the best stuff is and don't care. By the time they get old enough to care they either love the game or they don't but trust me, little Bobby isn't going to tell his parents he won't play because he has to use a One75 instead of a One95.

Wow, where do I even begin?

This is an initial thoughts thread, not the full review of the skate. That is why I am not turning it into a spec thread.

My hands are absolutely not tied. I thought that people would appreciate a real-time, honest review, rather than me dropping technobabble and pictures like everyone else does. I guess not.

But guess what? I'm not changing a damn thing.

And once again, this is about the skate, not about the impact of this $800 skate on the sport. Let's get back on topic.

Hey JR,

Everyone is making such a big deal about the steel on these skates, I've seen the pics and what not and you guys keep saying they're very light, but what technically is so special about this design that makes it better than the classical steel on most mid range skates?

Thanks

The difference in weight is what sets Fusion steel apart from traditional LS2 steel runners. You can feel the difference when you hold a TO and a ONE95 of the same size at the same time.

In addition, advancements in technology and materials designed for use in high end products often appear throughout the product line.

Hey JR,

Everyone is making such a big deal about the steel on these skates, I've seen the pics and what not and you guys keep saying they're very light, but what technically is so special about this design that makes it better than the classical steel on most mid range skates?

Thanks

Weight-wise, the steel, particularly on larger skates, is one of the biggest culprits. I noticed a big difference between the weight of my Vapor XXXXs to one95s... Why? The wider one95 boot allowed for a 296 holder over a 288.

BTW, you can get on Bauer for the prices of their high-end skates all you want but they have some of the best value mid-range skates available. If anyone in the market is price gouging, it's been CCM/Reebok(up until just recently) and Graf.