Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tjl_48

2010 MLB Thread

It certainly helps that Bonds didn't have to swing at anything he didn't like for about four years.

So pretty much the difference is HRs, which Barry's higher slugging percentage kinda difuses, since RBIs are a team-reliant stat. Barry also stole 193 more bases over the same period.

And if you bring fielding values into account then Barry's got an even bigger lead, even though Griffey has the higher position value in CF.

You don't think that all those walks played into the stolen bases do you? Or that a number 3 batter isn't going to be trying to steal too many bases with his clean up batter at the plate. :rolleyes:

The Barry Bonds that stole bases is not the same Barry Bonds that hit the home runs and got the free passes. All the running stopped and he turned into Tony Gwynn with power when he started cheating.

The Barry Bonds that stole bases is not the same Barry Bonds that hit the home runs and got the free passes. All the running stopped and he turned into Tony Gwynn with power when he started cheating.

We're talking about the 90s though. Barry's worst stolen base year in the 90s was 15 in 99. Every other year he stole at least 28 and 52 in 1990. Everyone talks about Steroids with Barry but his 1993 was more valuable than any year Griffey had.

NEVER compare that man to Tony Gwynn. Cecil Fielder or Kirby Puckett maybe. Even the Big Hurt, but not Tony.

I think Bonds's case gets padded by his assists since everyone ran on him. I wonder how many people he didn't throw out. It's a skewed way to look at D because Rickey Henderson had the same kind of case.

I think Bonds's case gets padded by his assists since everyone ran on him. I wonder how many people he didn't throw out. It's a skewed way to look at D because Rickey Henderson had the same kind of case.

Bonds at his best was an elite fielder though. If he had an arm he probably would have just played center till 98 or so.

How about this Harper kid going 1st overall. The stats he put up in jr college this year as a high school age player were unreal, he's legit. Also Strasburg getting his first start in the bigs tonight damn the nats are looking promising

How about this Harper kid going 1st overall. The stats he put up in jr college this year as a high school age player were unreal, he's legit. Also Strasburg getting his first start in the bigs tonight damn the nats are looking promising

It seems like they might be going a little overboard for the Strasburg thing tonight. MLB is authenticating the balls and his jersey is going to the Hall right after. It would be funny if he gets shelled.

Harper looks to be the real deal but I wonder what position they develop him at. He also paints his face like the Ultimate Warrior which is awesome.

He also paints his face like the Ultimate Warrior which is awesome.

He looks like a damn disgrace. MLB needs to overhaul their standard of dress the way players look anymore.

There will sadly be more dick bags in flat-billed caps and baggy pants.

And then there's the drunken toddler in Philly:

Kid_Beer_20100607144356_320_240.JPG

He looks like a damn disgrace. MLB needs to overhaul their standard of dress the way players look anymore.

He is only 17. Im sure he will grow out of it.

Thats just considered the "style " in baseball today as flop and white tongues is in hockey. Its really comparable to a lot of the stlyes that are often suggested and promoted by members on this site , not specifically you.

Oh and i guess the hype was right on the mark Strasbug was a machine 14 k's through 7 innings and i think 4 hits. Not to mention they took him out after striking out 7 straight

Strasburg's 99mph fastball had over a foot of tail on it, wow. That's more movement than Ubaldo has.

Strasburg's 99mph fastball had over a foot of tail on it, wow. That's more movement than Ubaldo has.

His curve ball blew my mind he was absolutely buckling batters with it somewhere around 80 mph , then he has the abilty to rear back and throw that 99mph fastball which as you said also moved . His curve could drop in the zone from anywhere albeit he left one hanging and got taken deep but thats one hell of a pitch

The article said it was a changeup (at 90mph, wouldn't that just be a fastball?) that got hit for a HR, not a curve.

Oh my mistake . Still a 90 mph change is ridiculous. Hes going to need to slow that down or hitters can just wait on that pitch all day

Thats just considered the "style " in baseball today as flop and white tongues is in hockey. Its really comparable to a lot of the stlyes that are often suggested and promoted by members on this site , not specifically you.

The oddity is I get more complements for going high-cuffed, stirruped, single flapped ABC and wood bat. It isn't the style that's popular so much as the pervasive laziness.

10mph between fastball and change isn't bad. Everything has movement so it's not bad. He also has a sinker that he didn't really use yesterday.

Any clue what the Red Sox draft budget is? They had a filthy first few rounds of the draft. They also know how to draft.... picking college JRs in the first few rounds who really have leverage to go above slot and then taking guys like Coyle and Cecchini who they can bust slot for at least one and they'll have a solid draft if they don't sign anyone else. The Phils took Workman 3 years ago, so I'm fairly familiar with him and was surprised he fell so far. I guess the Phils figured he wouldn't sign.