Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBondo

The 2010-2011 Suspension Thread

As long as guys come flying in to check with sticks off the ice and elbows high, there will be problems. JR said that Bertuzzi's record has been clean since the Moore incident; it'll be interesting to see how that affects the league's view of this hit.

Since the elbow came in on the side of Johnson's head, toward the back, Rule 48.1 may be implicated. Since it's an elbow, I agree with Chadd that they can discipline under other rules, alternatively, or additionally.

In all seriousness I think he should get at least 2 for it. It was a stupid play by Bertuzzi to skate backwards into Johnson, and even though I'll agree that the head wasn't blatantly targeted, you have to be responsible for your actions on the ice.

On the plus side, (I say this as a big Wings fan), it isn't like them suspending Bertuzzi will hurt the team at all. With the way he's been playing the last 6 games or so, I'm surprised Babcock hasn't scratched him to send a message.

Hypocrisy at its finest folks.

Not really, and it shouldn't be surprising. It was in the context of a hockey play and didn't fall under the new head shot rule as it wasn't blind side and not an east-west play. We all know Colin Campbell looks for reasons to let guys off the hook, I guess he found one here. The fact that Johnson played later in the game played a part in this decision, bet on it.

I'm a die-hard wings fan, but I agree, it was a reckless hit and deserves a couple of games (left his feet, had the arms/elbows up). But my understanding of the current CBA is that a repeat offender is a player who has had a disciplinary suspension in the last 18 months... and I don't recall Bertuzzi being suspended in the past year and a half... so why do people keep calling him a repeat offender? Thus a Cooke-like suspension would be uncalled for.

Just reported on the Fan590, TJ Oshie suspended 2 games by the Blues for missing practice yesterday.

Crap, I've got him in my pool. Good thing I lead the pool by 45 points :biggrin:

As for Bertuzzi, it looks as though he hit him with the bottom of his shoulder/beginning of arm and that the elbow brushed Johnson on the follow through. It's just weird how Bertuzzi got into that hit.

I'm honestly surprised that Bertuzzi wasn't suspended. Even if only for 2 games or something within that general range.

Scott Gomez bumped Evander Kane with a head butt during a little face to face "discussion" last night. Mac T (on TSN) said 1 game for stupidity. I dunno. I'd say they give him 1 or 2 for "targeting the head". Oh, no penalty called btw. Weird.

They had both been going at it for a couple of shifts exchangings slashes and stuff. I doubt anything will come out of it but you never know with the league's head honchos. You kind of have to give Gomez some props for not backing off from Kane after we've all seen what he did to Cooke lol...

You kind of have to give Gomez some props for not backing off from Kane after we've all seen what he did to Cooke lol...

I know he one punched Cooke, but is he that great of a fighter? I have only seen him fight Horton and lose.

Wayne Rooney was suspended today for 2 matches including the FA Cup semi-final next week for swearing in to a camera during a goal celebration last weekend. In the NHL you nearly have to kill someone before you are suspended two regular season games, nevermind a playoff game.

Wayne Rooney was suspended today for 2 matches including the FA Cup semi-final next week for swearing in to a camera during a goal celebration last weekend. In the NHL you nearly have to kill someone before you are suspended two regular season games, nevermind a playoff game.

Thats soccer for you.

But if he'd stripped off his shirt run around in circles, screaming and carrying on sliding around on the grass he'd have been fine.

Cooke got alot of cheers during the Pens "Shirts Off Our Back".

He's also got a lot of sympathizers... they all happen to be in Penguin's jerseys, though.

He's also got a lot of sympathizers... they all happen to be in Penguin's jerseys, though.

People would cheer for him in any city, as long as he was on the home team.

The torres on eberle hit looks clean if eberle doesnt bend down lower, because he would hit shoulder to shoulder. but eberle slumped down and got torres shoulder in his head. Maybe a game or two, but no malicious intent by torres

The torres on eberle hit looks clean if eberle doesnt bend down lower, because he would hit shoulder to shoulder. but eberle slumped down and got torres shoulder in his head. Maybe a game or two, but no malicious intent by torres

I think he gets away without a suspension. This is more like the Bertuzzi hit from a couple weeks ago than the ones that resulted in suspensions.

+1, well said

The problem with that is nobody skates standing upright unless they're getting ready to hit someone. Eberle was trying to play the puck and Torres was more interested in crushing Eberle than taking the puck and making a play. Torres ignores the puck completely and hits a guy that doesn't have possession. It's that "hit at all costs" mentality that needs to be changed.

The NHL is on pace for the fewest 100 point players since the lockout. It's not a coincidence.