Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mxpowder

Easton Mako Stick

a broken shaft doesnt always indicate a durability issue, it can happen at any time really. if it becomes pandemic in the hockey world however, then we could have issues.

two shifts mean nothing. if you play against Mike Tyson, one shift will destroy your most solid.

Mike Tyson playing hockey.. Now that I would love to see. Make sure everyone keeps their ear pieces on your helmets.

Picked up a Mako Hall 85 flex. First time I fired a shot, it vibrated horribly and sounded broken. On the exterior there doesn't appear to be any structural issues but when handling the puck, especially towards the heel, you can hear the stick and feel the vibration. It sounds like a piece of hardened glue bouncing inside the shaft but it doesn't move, it is localized to the heel area of the blade. Since it started right away it's hard to get an accurate feel for the stick because the vibration makes it feel terrible when handling and shooting. Any ideas what it is? Manufacturing defect?

Picked up a Mako Hall 85 flex. First time I fired a shot, it vibrated horribly and sounded broken. On the exterior there doesn't appear to be any structural issues but when handling the puck, especially towards the heel, you can hear the stick and feel the vibration. It sounds like a piece of hardened glue bouncing inside the shaft but it doesn't move, it is localized to the heel area of the blade. Since it started right away it's hard to get an accurate feel for the stick because the vibration makes it feel terrible when handling and shooting. Any ideas what it is? Manufacturing defect?

I had the same problem, took a couple of snappers and a piece of excess glue came loose. Removed the plug and it came out but there was still a rattle. Used a drape runner at home to get rid of another, even bigger piece of glue. After that I've had no problems with the stick.

Hopefully I'll be picking one or two up this weekend when I go to equiptment sales, anybody know how to tell if a stick is just painted without having a sticker on it saying so compared to easily knowing if the stick is a retail? The pro stock sticks are all game used I believe. Secondly I've never been to a teams equiptment sale other than online...

We did post a pretty detailed review on this stick over on the Marketplace page and the early judgement is pretty favorable. Of course, one or two of you on this thread have said you are suspicious of our reviews, believing us to writing reviews just to sell sticks. It couldn't be further from the truth. We have written quite a few reviews that do, in fact, go into what we DON'T like about something. I suppose it is human nature to be suspect of retailers posting reviews just to get people to buy something, but I can assure you that is not what we are after here. We will not insult the intelligence and passion of the people here by doing that. If we don't like something about a stick, a skate, a glove, a helmet, or anything else, we will certainly let it be known in our reviews.

I had the same problem, took a couple of snappers and a piece of excess glue came loose. Removed the plug and it came out but there was still a rattle. Used a drape runner at home to get rid of another, even bigger piece of glue. After that I've had no problems with the stick.

I pulled the end plug but nothing came out. It's definitely in the blade. Interesting idea with the drape runner. Thanks!

Same thing happened to me. But mine didn't go away. The noise came from the blade, not the shaft.

This also happened to my S19 and a couple other guys. Whatever it was wouldn't even come out when the plug was removed, so, as you said, it points to the blade.

The response was also pretty favorable at winterfest when we tested them as well.

I was severely under impressed to be quite frank. I certainly appreciate Easton bringing out the stick, the opportunity was fantastic. However, I had a mako available for me to use the whole time, and went back to my widow. I like the RS at summer jam, and used it quite a bit. The mako felt great in my hands balance wise, but the second I hit the ice and shot pucks and stick handled... it was lost on me. I did not see the appeal in this stick.

...just my two cents.

I look forward to trying more Easton products and hopefully finding something I really enjoy using, though.

The mako felt great in my hands balance wise, but the second I hit the ice and shot pucks and stick handled... it was lost on me.

I have to agree. I have used this stick in a few games and a few stick times. Not super impressed. Good quality stick, but not what I was expecting. I was looking for an improvement, or at least equal, to the se16. To me the se16 was an awesome stick and the eq50 kind of got a bad rep and was a pretty good stick, the only downfall was the added weight, which I didn't like. I thought this stick was not as good as the eq50 except in the weight/balance department, so in your hands I was thinking the it might give the se16 a run for its money. But on the ice was a different story... Puck feel was better in the se16 and eq50 in my opinion, feels more dead in the mako. And I don't know if they changed the flex profile, but shooting seems different to me as well over the past two models. (or maybe I'm just used to my totalone now...) But on the bright side, I do like the new shaft dimensions they are using.

Easton needs to get their act together. The Mako is not meant to be your average twig. It's none other than the successor to the throne of the most prestigious line in the history of hockey sticks; the SYNERGY! Ever since the original silver one was introduced and revolutionized the hockey world in....2001? (for a whopping $200 lol, that was unheard of...now it seems cheap) hockey fans expect every new iteration of synergies to be the bomb. SE16 was the bomb. Previous models...Elite...or ST's i havent used but i heard good things about them. EQ50 was a huge fucking fiasco. Now...the Mako...seems to be getting get mixed reviews so far....i have yet to try it but i hope it turns out good in the end...but in reality, the only thing that Easton is trying to do, or should be trying to do is to improve the SE16. Otherwise, why spend any money in R&D? Here you go players, we have your twig, the SE16 and thats the twig you're gonna be using for the next 50 years.

It doesnt seem to be working so far and that's why pros are using repaints. They don't want to use newer models. Easton needs to get their act together. They should be leading stick innovation. Not other companies. Bauer, Reebok, warrior etc..are catching up.

Easton needs to get their act together. They should be leading stick innovation. Not other companies. Bauer, Reebok, warrior etc..are catching up.

Many people that know more about hockey equipment than I do would say Bauer, Warrior and possibly even CCM with its RBZ have caught up and surpassed Easton for innovation.

I would agree with the above statement. The materials used and the R&D out into Bauers sticks is amazing. The other companies seem to be pushing the envelope as well. But, with that said, I really liked the Mako. I actually preferred it to many of the other sticks I have usef.

I was severely under impressed to be quite frank. I certainly appreciate Easton bringing out the stick, the opportunity was fantastic. However, I had a mako available for me to use the whole time, and went back to my widow. I like the RS at summer jam, and used it quite a bit. The mako felt great in my hands balance wise, but the second I hit the ice and shot pucks and stick handled... it was lost on me. I did not see the appeal in this stick.

...just my two cents.

I look forward to trying more Easton products and hopefully finding something I really enjoy using, though.

Much like vapors vs supremes, a lot of people tend to be Synergy or Stealth when it comes to Easton. I didn't like the RS at all, but I loved the Mako. That said, i still prefer my widow to anything else on the market.

Easton needs to get their act together. The Mako is not meant to be your average twig. It's none other than the successor to the throne of the most prestigious line in the history of hockey sticks; the SYNERGY! Ever since the original silver one was introduced and revolutionized the hockey world in....2001? (for a whopping $200 lol, that was unheard of...now it seems cheap) hockey fans expect every new iteration of synergies to be the bomb. SE16 was the bomb. Previous models...Elite...or ST's i havent used but i heard good things about them. EQ50 was a huge fucking fiasco. Now...the Mako...seems to be getting get mixed reviews so far....i have yet to try it but i hope it turns out good in the end...but in reality, the only thing that Easton is trying to do, or should be trying to do is to improve the SE16. Otherwise, why spend any money in R&D? Here you go players, we have your twig, the SE16 and thats the twig you're gonna be using for the next 50 years.

It doesnt seem to be working so far and that's why pros are using repaints. They don't want to use newer models. Easton needs to get their act together. They should be leading stick innovation. Not other companies. Bauer, Reebok, warrior etc..are catching up.

I have an Eq50 and its a really solid stick, for me it's on par with my SE16. Yeah the visible weight thing is little gimmicky, but the performance is great. I'm not sure why so many people don't seem to like it.

I played around with the Mako in store and I liked how it felt in my hands, but my Eq50 feels just as solid in my opinion.

Agreed.

I have an Eq50 and its a really solid stick, for me it's on par with my SE16. Yeah the visible weight thing is little gimmicky, but the performance is great. I'm not sure why so many people don't seem to like it.

I played around with the Mako in store and I liked how it felt in my hands, but my Eq50 feels just as solid in my opinion.

Just received my warranty replacements. Mako for Mako, M5 for my se16. The M5 feels great, a bit unbalanced, but thats obvious since its pretty much an ST repaint. The one problem I encountered is quite annoying. My first Mako had a rattling noise, and then broke. The replacement stick has the same rattle. But worse.

I called Easton and asked about it, and the man (very helpful, and nice, much like all the other people i've gone through at Easton) said that if anything happens to it to give them a call, and they'll try to work with me to replace it, even though its a replacement. He said this only applies for a few days, so hopefully things get better or worse fast! Im going to try putting a piece of Rebar in it and moving it around, hopefully it knocks the rattle loose.

i jump on this site from time to time and mostly read more, then comment. but i must add to this post. i bought the mako about a week ago and used it two times. love it! puck feel is great, shots have pop, could not ask for more. i have used the RS (love that aswell, but not like the mako) eq50 st apx total one. this twig does it for me. and i must say, to see all the bashing about the eq makes me sad. i thought it was a decent twig all in all. but its tought being the next thing after such a stand out like the se16. i just hope she holds up for me.

i jump on this site from time to time and mostly read more, then comment. but i must add to this post. i bought the mako about a week ago and used it two times. love it! puck feel is great, shots have pop, could not ask for more. i have used the RS (love that aswell, but not like the mako) eq50 st apx total one. this twig does it for me. and i must say, to see all the bashing about the eq makes me sad. i thought it was a decent twig all in all. but its tought being the next thing after such a stand out like the se16. i just hope she holds up for me.

bgdawg if you wouldn't mind, could you tell me the differences between the APX and the Mako. I've got the APX and thinking of trying the Mako? Just holding the sticks alone, it kind of felt like the APX was lighter feeling? In purehockey.com's review of the Mako, they said the Mako has a higher flex point than the RS? When I flexed the sticks in a store, felt like the Mako had a lower flex point than the RS?

bgdawg if you wouldn't mind, could you tell me the differences between the APX and the Mako. I've got the APX and thinking of trying the Mako? Just holding the sticks alone, it kind of felt like the APX was lighter feeling? In purehockey.com's review of the Mako, they said the Mako has a higher flex point than the RS? When I flexed the sticks in a store, felt like the Mako had a lower flex point than the RS?

ok here i go..

apx p88 77 flex

vs

mako hall 85 flex

apx is lighter by a decent amount. but this does a few things for me, on the good side, a light stick is great for puck handling and the flow of the game, downside is it had a chingy ping type of feel, i also felt like it wasnt as solid vs the mako. blade feel was great but the mako is on par with that, if not a touch better. shots is where the apx and mako differ. apx i felt like i had to expend more energy to get speed for my shots, even with the lower flex. mako shots fly like bullets, even if i dont get all of the puck. (as the goalie can atest to on my sick one timer goal last night) as far as the flex point, i feel like the apx is ultra low vs the mako that is mid low, if that makes any sense. i have always felt the vapor line had the lowest of kick points. i hope this helps you out, but cation. this is just my opinion and your reaction may be different.

Much like vapors vs supremes, a lot of people tend to be Synergy or Stealth when it comes to Easton. I didn't like the RS at all, but I loved the Mako. That said, i still prefer my widow to anything else on the market.

While I liked using that rs, I didn't fall in love with it. I was not enamoured with the blade. I liked the apx more, but couldn't use it as much because it kept slipping in my hands (I'm a grip guy). With you on the widow, still.

Any thoughts on the lower M1, M2, or M3 versions?

I decided to buy the m1 on a whim and in the store I felt it and for an entry level stick it feels great and for 65 bucks you can't go wrong. Also I must say my shots felt really good with that stick