Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mxpowder

Easton Mako Stick

Woooo warranty replacement should arrive tomorrow!

Cool!

So, how did the stick break?

Yeah, at this point, very safe to assume that the stick broke because of his decisions and playing. Another example of the warranty system being abused.

Yeah, at this point, very safe to assume that the stick broke because of his decisions and playing. Another example of the warranty system being abused.

What exactly is one supposed to do with a broken $250 stick that's less than a month old? Just chalk it up to a lesson? Maybe it's not the way they intend the warranty system to be used, but it's a little hard to accept that your weeks old stick is now worthless. No reason to be judgemental about it, imo.

Yeah, actually. That's exactly how it should work. You were playing carelessly and broke your stick, now the manufacture has to pay for it? How does that make sense?

I'm not sure about you, but when I was a child, and I broke a new toy, we didn't run back to the store claiming it was broke because of them. This isn't any different, regardless of what you paid for the stick.

I digress, no need to get into another discussion over the warranty system.

Yeah, actually. That's exactly how it should work. You were playing carelessly and broke your stick, now the manufacture has to pay for it? How does that make sense?

I'm not sure about you, but when I was a child, and I broke a new toy, we didn't run back to the store claiming it was broke because of them. This isn't any different, regardless of what you paid for the stick.

I digress, no need to get into another discussion over the warranty system.

I'm going to take the last word and say getting slashed doesn't strike me as playing carelessly, nor should a brand new stick break after getting slashed.

Check out the M5 if you're after that ST feel.

I want to try a Mako, but I really like my ST's. I like a heavier/stiff/tough stick being defense and taller/bigger guy. I think I will wait on reviews and see, but it is going to be hard to put down my good ol' ST's.

Wow guys, calm down. Easton didn't ask how it broke, so I wasn't about to offer the reason publically. That's not to say I don't think my case is valid - because its probably borderline somewhere (as in... it may, or may not have been a defect). So I sent it in to let Easton decide.

If they warranty it, great. If not, well I wasn't expecting anything. Was worth the shipping cost (compared to a new Mako) to let them have a look.

I'd still rather have it in my hands before I explain what happened. Give me a few hours to fly home :)

Wow guys, calm down. Easton didn't ask how it broke, so I wasn't about to offer the reason publically. That's not to say I don't think my case is valid - because its probably borderline somewhere (as in... it may, or may not have been a defect). So I sent it in to let Easton decide.

If they warranty it, great. If not, well I wasn't expecting anything. Was worth the shipping cost (compared to a new Mako) to let them have a look.

I'd still rather have it in my hands before I explain what happened. Give me a few hours to fly home :)

Seriously, don't worry about it. You don't owe these guys an explanation. The market doesn't work like they want it to, nothing we can do about it.

Yea, just don't want people think I'm a deadbeat abusing the system. I'm truly not sure if they would warranty it, so it was worth a shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Seriously, don't worry about it. You don't owe these guys an explanation. The market doesn't work like they want it to, nothing we can do about it.

Actually, yes, he does owe an explanation.

Posting a picture of a broken stick in a thread about the stick (which was started by someone wondering whether or not there are reviews on it) without an explanation of how it broke is spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt. Without an explanation on what happened, readers are lead to believe that the stick is flawed.

If the stick was broken by plowing it in the ice on a slapshot or a slash or regular hockey playing, why does that belong in that particular thread? So if I'm someone wanting to buy a Mako, and I go to the Mako Review thread here, and see a picture of a broken stick after one use, chances are I'm not going to buy it. This is how stick reputations get ruined.

Full disclosure removes all doubt.

Has nothing to do with the warranty system; that's a different story for a different time.

Yea, just don't want people think I'm a deadbeat abusing the system. I'm truly not sure if they would warranty it, so it was worth a shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

i almost feel like the warranty is more in place for consumers piece of mind. If you buy a stick and break it in two weeks, your be really hesitant to buy that stick or even manufacturer again if you were out 200 bones that quickly. All these manufacturers KNOW the product is intended to be used in a sport where it will get abused, slashed, etc, its the nature of the sport of its intended use. Its not like you used it to smash in the windows of your ex girlfriends car, so dont worry about justifying it to anyone. Companies are forced to put a lot of wording into these types of things, but as you have seen from Easton, any reasonable company will stand behind their product, and not have to ask you a laundry list of questions. Let us know how your replacement does, I am still very interested in the Mako.

And that's fair, I hadn't really thought of how that must have looked to post it and then disappear. I just know Easton frequents these forums and didn't want to influence them one way or another, especially since they actually didn't even ask me how it broke. I also didn't want to post "ill tell you after Easton makes their decision" as that looks just as shady, if not more.

So now that I'm being painted as a bad guy or something, I'd better just tell everyone how it happened. It broke when it got in the way of a slapshot. In a div 5 beer league. On a shot with only half a windup. I was SHOCKED that it broke. I didn't even know until I tried putting some weight on it.

Mfgr defect? No idea. I'm no expert. Easton is, so I put the ball in their court.

Like I said, it was worth the price of shipping to let Easton decide for themselves. I honestly wouldn't have been surprised if they had rejected it. But, since I have a new one being delivered this afternoon, I suppose they indeed thought it was enough to warrant a replacement.

Actually, yes, he does owe an explanation.

Posting a picture of a broken stick in a thread about the stick (which was started by someone wondering whether or not there are reviews on it) without an explanation of how it broke is spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt.

I see your point. It's somewhat moronic to not buy a stick because you heard or saw that one broke once, but I guess that's what some people do.

Would you buy a car if there was a thread about it and in the thread someone told you that they just bought said vehicle and then they posted a picture of the car in flames 2 days later with no explanation?

Would you buy a car if there was a thread about it and in the thread someone told you that they just bought said vehicle and then they posted a picture of the car in flames 2 days later with no explanation?

Yes, but I'd also buy a fire extinguisher........

In all reality I would do further research to see if similar issues occured to others. If not....then game on.

So now that I'm being painted as a bad guy or something, I'd better just tell everyone how it happened. It broke when it got in the way of a slapshot. In a div 5 beer league. On a shot with only half a windup. I was SHOCKED that it broke. I didn't even know until I tried putting some weight on it.

Mfgr defect? No idea. I'm no expert. Easton is, so I put the ball in their court.

I can say I would do the same thing if my stick was within the warranty period. I figure (insert brand name) has experts or knowledgeable persons handling their warranty claims. I'm also going to assume that these persons have seen just about every type of break, and reason for it, possible. I, the user, am not an expert on how said stick is created or in what spots it should or should not break. If I just dropped $200+ on a stick and it broke....I'd let the warranty dept of the company decide whether it was a defect or not.

Now...to the point of the Mako breaking in that situation. I've had two Bauer sticks break the exact same way. I can now tell if the stick is broken by the sound now if it happens. So this type of break is not limited to the Mako. My Bauers didn't snap in two pieces right away either, but once I leaned on them they broke clean.

Yup, I had a One95 go that way. Took a shot and it seemed fine. Actually finished the shift and went to the bench, looked at it with no signs of an issue. Next shift it let go on a pass. So it happens to every stick at times.

Once again, the point I was trying to make had nothing to do with the warranty process.

Submitting it to warranty is exactly what he has to do. What happens after that, well, another story for another time.

For what it is worth when I first saw the photo and read the description it signals a red flag a a bad batch in the first run. without full disclosure It would certainly move the mako down my priority list of sticks to buy/try. I think this is a far more damaging effect, As a high performance stick you can't expect durability over performance as that is not the intended point of the product. the prospect of a faulty batch due to issues in either material or construction would be devastating.

the people attacking make very good points. you worded it the result of two shifts, making it seem as though the stick is not durable. even a simple wrister to the ankle hurts a lot and you have your skate for 'protection'. being a half slapper doesnt matter, its still a powerful shot and the way you worded it was questionable