Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mxpowder

Easton Mako Stick

the people attacking make very good points. you worded it the result of two shifts, making it seem as though the stick is not durable. even a simple wrister to the ankle hurts a lot and you have your skate for 'protection'. being a half slapper doesnt matter, its still a powerful shot and the way you worded it was questionable

Nah, was just a fluke that it was only two shifts. I mentioned that only because it was pretty upsetting at the time. Again, I had (or thought I had) a good reason to keep my mouth shut on the cause of the break. I apologize if that was taken the wrong way.

We used 24 Makos at Winterfest in December and all of them were in one piece after the event.

Wow. That's all I can say. Easton is apparently notorious for flawed first batches...

I believe that all of the RS sticks used at last year's SJ survived the day, as well. Perhaps the "first batch" slight can be put to rest.

Would you buy a car if there was a thread about it and in the thread someone told you that they just bought said vehicle and then they posted a picture of the car in flames 2 days later with no explanation?

the only differences being a hockey stick is a 230 dollar item which is known to be able to break, and cars being 20k, responsible for your life, and not known to catch on fire spontaneously ;) if someone posted that about the car, sure, i might question it, but one post about a hockey stick breaking doesnt worry me at all.

I see your point. It's somewhat moronic to not buy a stick because you heard or saw that one broke once, but I guess that's what some people do.

i dont think its about that, its about the stigma that these top of the line sticks break so easily and threads like this just add to it

i dont think its about that, its about the stigma that these top of the line sticks break so easily and threads like this just add to it

I know, and that was my fault. I was posting more of a "damn it, THIS just happened..." than anything. Certainly didn't mean to imply they weren't durable or whatever. I didn't want to start a new thread just for my broken stick, and I thought it would be "funny" to post the pic immediately after a post about my new Mako and how excited I was. Dramatic effect, or whatever. Just overall bad judgement on my part.

Well I have had 2 makos, one a replacement for the first, that have had very loud shaft and blade rattles. The person said that it may be from poor curing or maybe even loose foam in the blade. She said it happens at times with first batches. So, maybe the shaft was slightly weakened by that causing it to break at impact.

I know, and that was my fault. I was posting more of a "damn it, THIS just happened..." than anything. Certainly didn't mean to imply they weren't durable or whatever. I didn't want to start a new thread just for my broken stick, and I thought it would be "funny" to post the pic immediately after a post about my new Mako and how excited I was. Dramatic effect, or whatever. Just overall bad judgement on my part.

Don't apologize, some guys here just took it the wrong way. Your intentions don't always translate over the internet.

Can we get back on topic please?

Well I have had 2 makos, one a replacement for the first, that have had very loud shaft and blade rattles. The person said that it may be from poor curing or maybe even loose foam in the blade. She said it happens at times with first batches. So, maybe the shaft was slightly weakened by that causing it to break at impact.

mine had the same rattle, it was just stray resin in the shaft, and removed pretty easily.

mine had the same rattle, it was just stray resin in the shaft, and removed pretty easily.

I wish mine was able to be removed! I popped the end cap off, used a piece of metal to feel around and try to knock it lose, and neither helped at all. Trust me, I would have loved for it to be fixable, i love the stick and would much rather be using it over my back-up.

Another note, mine wasn't just a quiet rattle or the rain-stick sort of thing. Every time you tapped the stick to the ground it sounded like a baby rattle, but more metallic.

Warranty came in. Got everything right except they sent me a non-grip. From the things I've read here on MSH about warranty replacements, I suppose I should probably be happy with it. It could be FAR worse ;)

Will use it this weekend and post my initial thoughts :)

Warranty came in. Got everything right except they sent me a non-grip. From the things I've read here on MSH about warranty replacements, I suppose I should probably be happy with it. It could be FAR worse ;)

Will use it this weekend and post my initial thoughts :)

Yea, I'd be very happy with that and call it a day. Adding grip to a non-grip is easy enough.

Im in the UK (Northern Ireland to be precise) and managed to pick up a wooden Mako blade, gonna test it out this week, my only concern is it looks to be half the thickness of my usual wooden blades, we'll see how she holds up

I didn't get to try it... I've been home 6 days out of the last month+ so wife made me hang out with her instead of going to my hockey game because "it's only an exhibition game"... pffft.

Are pro stock makos any different from the retail? I ordered custom eastons from pshg with mako construction.

I am currently using a pro stock Mako (85 flex, Sakic Clone) seems to be similar to the retail model... doesn't have the z-tac coating on the blade... also when comparing the two side by side, the retail seemed to be a little more blade heavy. the pro-stock one I have does not have a blade heavy feeling.

I believe that all of the RS sticks used at last year's SJ survived the day, as well. Perhaps the "first batch" slight can be put to rest.

That's a fair statement. Not all their first batches have been bad, and nobody will be 100% on a new stick line.

Maybe they did less testing on the Mako than on the EQ50 or the RS? Also, what are the chances of it actually being a pure manufacturing defect- e.g. not a design defect but that a factory erred somehow in the process?

That's a fair statement. Not all their first batches have been bad, and nobody will be 100% on a new stick line.

Maybe they did less testing on the Mako than on the EQ50 or the RS? Also, what are the chances of it actually being a pure manufacturing defect- e.g. not a design defect but that a factory erred somehow in the process?

You're reaching here.

They've been making these types of sticks for damn near 15 years. They wouldn't suddenly forget how to.

So the second warranty replacement for my Mako came in yesterday. (The first replacement had even louder rattles than the first, and was returned before it was even taped up.) The stick I received was a bit stiffer, more on par with the 85 flex its labelled, unlike the first which felt a bit whippier. The stick kicks great, slightly different loading feel from my old se16. I'll write a review on it in the proper forum after I use it more.

The Mako M5 that a got as a replacement for my se16 is still holding up fine, but has many chunks of paint taken off of it. The paint chips away VERY easily. Structurally, though, its great. It kicks well, but not nearly as hard as the Mako. Also, the stick I received felt slightly stiff uncut, and feels very stiff now that its cut. Much stiffer than the Mako, probably close to 100 flex. A pro stock 102 flex one95 feels noticeably whippier. Just a heads up for anyone interested in buying one.

Im in the UK (Northern Ireland to be precise) and managed to pick up a wooden Mako blade, gonna test it out this week, my only concern is it looks to be half the thickness of my usual wooden blades, we'll see how she holds up

Just a follow up in case anyone was considering mako replacement blades, used it yesterday at shinny and was EASILY the best blade ive ever used, took a few slashes, not even a dent in it, incredible puck feel from it, real nice blade (with Getzlaf curve), id recommend it if anyone used tapered blades,

Aaron