Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

I'm just bummed after reading everyone else who was so happy when they got them baked, etc that mine didn't work out like that. Still easily the most comfortable skates I've ever worn, aside from being just a touch too short.

The 8D Vapors I had were painful to stand. I was actually able to play an entire game in these, so its definitely a lot better. The Vapors I thought would be okay once they broke in (because they felt great during the baking process), but they were just too painful to skate in to ever possibly break them in. These makos are SO close to being perfect. I've also never experienced such great heel lock as with these (different sized feet with different width ankles makes that hard to fit a stock skate). If they'd just break in a tiny bit they would be amazing.

There seems to be a vertical seam on the end of the toe box that my big toe rubs on. That's the worst part, not even so much the length itself.

Baking the mako changes the fit completely. It's impossible to judge the Mako without baking it.

Hang in there, it sounds like you're almost in a really comfortable ride. About that seam that's digging into your toe, have you taken the laces all the way out, yanked the tongue back and checked if perhaps you could shave it down? It sounds like it could be an injection mold seam that you could smooth out, with surgical care. I know they're your new babies, so cutting a little bit off just at the tip might be too horrifying to do, but it just might help this toe flare up from reaching that annoyingly painful zone.

I'm just bummed after reading everyone else who was so happy when they got them baked, etc that mine didn't work out like that. Still easily the most comfortable skates I've ever worn, aside from being just a touch too short.

The 8D Vapors I had were painful to stand. I was actually able to play an entire game in these, so its definitely a lot better. The Vapors I thought would be okay once they broke in (because they felt great during the baking process), but they were just too painful to skate in to ever possibly break them in. These makos are SO close to being perfect. I've also never experienced such great heel lock as with these (different sized feet with different width ankles makes that hard to fit a stock skate). If they'd just break in a tiny bit they would be amazing.

There seems to be a vertical seam on the end of the toe box that my big toe rubs on. That's the worst part, not even so much the length itself.

Baking the mako changes the fit completely. It's impossible to judge the Mako without baking it.

But you can't have the skates baked unless you purchase them. If the arch problem persists, then you may be stuck with a pair of skates you cannot wear.

But you can't have the skates baked unless you purchase them. If the arch problem persists, then you may be stuck with a pair of skates you cannot wear.

Depends on the place.

Very much so, I heated and flattened out the arches considerably with no issue. Used the shop boot stretcher, but be very careful.

So, you can spot-heat & re-form the arch area with a heat gun perhaps? I don't know of anyone locally who owns a boot stretcher.

The guys at HockeyMonkey told me that Easton has been telling them to let customers bake the Mako, since some people can't even get their foot in the boot unless they are baked first.

But then again, HM will bake any skate before purchase if you ask them to.

So, you can spot-heat & re-form the arch area with a heat gun perhaps? I don't know of anyone locally who owns a boot stretcher.

Yes, you can spot heat an area that is giving you problems. Several people have done so with their arches and rolling out the top of the boot which might dig into your ankle if you're leaning backwards too much.

Also, I forgot to ask, are you skating in socks? If so, how thick? Slightly changing that might help, because it sounds like a borderline issue.

Also, I forgot to ask, are you skating in socks? If so, how thick? Slightly changing that might help, because it sounds like a borderline issue.

Yes, as thin as I can get them. Currently in Bauer Core socks.

HM gave me a free pair of the light grey Easton socks with my skates. Oh my god they are so thin, I can't wait to try them!

lAjabyw.jpg?1

Why didn't you like the CXN holder and runner?

What is the pitch on stock Makos anyway.. 1+ inch?

Edited by DigiV

Yes you can, the boots hot so I'd use a gloves hand (mechanics glove, not a hockey glove)

I wore socks when I baked them but I skate barefoot

Jimmy tells me the overall Mako forward pitch is 3 degrees.

that's intense. i'm shocked the radius is only a 9. when the forward pitch is aggressive like that isn't it common to be on an 11 radius ?

When I put on Makos right after baking, they feel great. Once they cool though, they seem a touch too short (but seem like a half size up would be way too much). Are these going to break in a bit like another traditional skate might, or is the post-bake fit pretty much always what it will be like?

Tough break, man. I personally err on the side of caution with my sizing and take a little extra space to avoid my toes being crunched. A fractional amount of extra space does not hurt you when skating.

Tough break, man. I personally err on the side of caution with my sizing and take a little extra space to avoid my toes being crunched. A fractional amount of extra space does not hurt you when skating.

Yea, we'll see how it goes. If after a couple games I don't think I can keep going, I'll go back and get the 8.5D.

Had my second skate today, now totaling 6-hours of ice time with them. Even though only on the ice twice, these skates felt like they were completely broken in. The liner didn't appear to be any wetter after the skate than my NXG's would get. Extremely comfortable. I had some concerns with the innersoles as I have one flat and one high arch, but absolutely no pain whatsoever to date. Waiting to see how these are once I get them totally dialed in.

Putting aside that I haven't been able to get to a store that stocks these, I was wondering whether anyone here has gone to the Makos from CCM U+CLs? The CLs worked pretty well for me because they were so moldable. I had volume problems in Vapors and Supremes, but actually found some comfort and had the volume problem solved in the Nexus. I've been wearing 7.5Ds in all of these. However, I'm always interested in whatever comes next. So if there's anyone who went from CLs or even the Nexus, who have a comparison to make in fit, volume, and sizing, I'd be really interested.

Also, I was wondering about the wisdom of possibly going to a wider skate. The toe box is another problem area for me (it is often too narrow), and so I was thinking that perhaps a wider, but more moldable skate might be a good choice. Anyway, interested what you guys think.

Putting aside that I haven't been able to get to a store that stocks these, I was wondering whether anyone here has gone to the Makos from CCM U+CLs?

I have been trying to get an answer for pretty much the exact same question. My son has been skating in U+12s. Finally outgrew his old pair as they were literally falling apart. I managed to get him a used pair a size larger for a great price. He is a very technical skater with amazing edge work and I'd really like to get him a pair of Makos. Problem is there is only one store in the entire state that stocks them and they have a very limited supply of sizes. So trying on a few different pairs close to his size is probably only going to be achievable through UPS/USPS.

ive been trying to pay attention to which players are wearing makos so far - joe pavelski and derek roy are

check out the gear sightings thread for that.

After a nice solid skate and a skate profiling (putting me at 10 radius) these are really starting to show their abilities. The only complaint i have right now is i'm not getting ideal heel lock on my right foot. I'm going to spot heat them before the next game.

Id also like to up to an 11 foot radius if i can. Right now my hollow is at a 3/4th but i think with an 11' radius i'd go 7/8 and be flying out there. It's a beer league so pivots and cycling aren't all that important. straight speed is where it's at.

• Like 1

I have a weird thing happening. Skates have been awesome 3 days a week since April 2. All of a sudden the last 2 times out my toes on my right foot are rubbing against the front of the boot. When I bend my knees it's a little better by by the time I'm done it feels like somebody rubbed a cheese greater over the tips of my toes. I wear the grey synergy Easton skates have been the whole time.

Only difference I notice between the two skates is that I noticed the right footbed is sliding back and forth. I'm talking about with the skate off I can stick my hand in there and with a little push the footbed moves from front to back. The left one doesn't. Is this the culprit? Suggestions?

If you're foot is able to slide forward in the boot, I'd suggest;

1- take the footbeds out to let them dry between skates, sometimes moisture between the sole and footbed can cause abberant movement in the boot.

2- make sure they are tied tight enough around the top 3-4 eyelets to stop your foot from moving forward

3- make sure you keep proper knee bend. If the ankle/Achilles of your foot is not too pronounced, the aggressive nature of the boot could cause forward movement of the foot.

Keeping in mind, you're only talking about 1/8" or so to cause your foot to rub. You could always give barefoot a try...

I have a weird thing happening. Skates have been awesome 3 days a week since April 2. All of a sudden the last 2 times out my toes on my right foot are rubbing against the front of the boot. When I bend my knees it's a little better by by the time I'm done it feels like somebody rubbed a cheese greater over the tips of my toes. I wear the grey synergy Easton skates have been the whole time.

Only difference I notice between the two skates is that I noticed the right footbed is sliding back and forth. I'm talking about with the skate off I can stick my hand in there and with a little push the footbed moves from front to back. The left one doesn't. Is this the culprit? Suggestions?

Ironically, I had the same thing happen and was planning to post about it just so others would be aware if they weren't sure what was going on. I actually was considering selling them and getting the next size up, but I couldn't figure out why they fit perfect for a couple weeks then I had this issue. I thought maybe it was because the warm weather came and my feet had swollen or something. Then I realized had not been tying them as tight as when I first got them, so, I tied the lower eyelets tighter again and that solved the problem. Buzz suggested in his response tying the top eyelets tighter, but I was tying them pretty tight the whole time, so, that wasn't it for me. I still need to find that sweet spot where they are tight enough in the lower eyelets without making my feet fall asleep. Still, numb feet are better than how bad my toes were when they were sliding down. My one toenail will likely be falling off soon. Totally black.

Hope this helps.