Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Think I'm going to take the advice of that fitting video and heat the uppers up a bit and press them closer together. I feel like I'm really have to crank the laces down on the top two eyelets to get the lateral support I need. Probably a function of how the tendon guard is cut so low.

the only complaint i can see so far with these skates is that they are a little heavier than vapors/supremes. Is it the blade that's heavier? How is that blade compared to popular ones like LS2s or the new ones on the APX2s??

No way these are heavier than vapor skates. I tried on a friends pair this week and was blown away with how light they were.

the only complaint i can see so far with these skates is that they are a little heavier than vapors/supremes. Is it the blade that's heavier? How is that blade compared to popular ones like LS2s or the new ones on the APX2s??

I haven't put them on, but from holding the skate in my hand, I know what you mean--they feel more bottom heavy than Supremes or Vapors. If you're comparing the balance of the Mako to the APX or NXG, the fusion runners might make some difference too. When I picked up the Mako the first time Graf's old slogan "Top Light" came to mind.

As has come up previously in discussion of this skate, they are not the lightest, but they're also not trying to be.

I agree on the weight issue, however, I don't mind it. Skating performance is 90% technique imo.

Proper radius, blade pitch, alignment, hollow along with body stance/complete stride/forward flex, and then weight comes into becoming a factor (as long as it's not a 2lbs vs a 4 lbs Skate)

Because of the extra range of motion you can get on the toe flick with the separated and flexible tendon guard, I am getting a hot spot on the rear outside corner of the boot (where it separates from the tendon guard) on both ankles. Anybody else getting this? If so what did you do about it?

Has anyone been able to solve this? I am getting it in both ankles, and it is the only drawback I have with the skate.

If you were able to solve it, can you please explain how, as I am not having success. Did you heat it, and just roll that whole area outward or what?

Thanks for any help

No way these are heavier than vapor skates. I tried on a friends pair this week and was blown away with how light they were.

this isn't even a debate. Any recent top of the line vapor or supreme is lighter than these Makos. I don't think this will be a problem but i do wish they were a tiny bit lighter.

I'm just wondering about the steel. Those that have managed to skate in this how do these compare to LS2s/fusion?

this isn't even a debate. Any recent top of the line vapor or supreme is lighter than these Makos. I don't think this will be a problem but i do wish they were a tiny bit lighter.

I'm just wondering about the steel. Those that have managed to skate in this how do these compare to LS2s/fusion?

Compared to APX/APX2 they are bit heavier. Compared to model 1 or 2 below that used the non-Fusion steel, the weight feels pretty darn close in the hand.

As for the steel I think it holds an edge very well, just like my MLX steel did. I think it is better than LS2 in that regards.

Has anyone been able to solve this? I am getting it in both ankles, and it is the only drawback I have with the skate.

If you were able to solve it, can you please explain how, as I am not having success. Did you heat it, and just roll that whole area outward or what?

Thanks for any help

Deathtron mentioned to me what he did and it seems to have worked for me as well. I just heated that area that was bothering me and rolled it outward some. I also put an ice pack on it to help it cool down faster and hold the new position.

Edited by flyers10

Deathtron mentioned to me what he did and it seems to have worked for me as well. I just heated that area that was bothering me and rolled it outward some. I also put an ice pack on it to help it cool down faster and hold the new position.

Same here. Just spot heated it and pushed it out. Didn't "roll it" so much as just pushed it out a bit with my thumb. Seems to have fixed it for me.

Steve

Thanks for any help

I don't know whether or not I have solved it yet. I switched to thin tight hockey socks (I was using regular cotton athletic socks) and I have been wearing some thin moleskin over the blsters. I also used the heatgun to try to bend them out a bit. So right now I don't have any issues. Once the blisters are completely healed I'll ditch the moleskin and try it again (still with thin socks though). If nothing else, hopefully I'll eventually build up calluses.

i have mako 7.5EE skates, the holders are size 263, i was wondering if i would be able to put on size 272 LS2's or the new edge holder size 272 on my skates? i know the holes probably wont line up and will have to drill new ones, but would there be any issues that anyone would know about?

I have only about 4 hours on these skates now, but they are definitely the most comfortable "new" skates Ive ever worn.
I have a long but narrow, low volume foot. I wear a size 14 shoe and ordered a size 12 skate. Fit is good, I probably could've gone down at least 1/2 size more given the mold-ability of these skates but stuck with the 12. Fit is very "hard" and awkward prior to baking the skate. The baking process is easy though as is relieving any individual hot spots after a preliminary bake. The skate gives such a good wrap around the foot after its baked it almost feels like you dont have to tie it. This wrap and solid heel lock can also make it difficult to slide your foot in and out of the skate. Thats a small price to pay for the solid and secure fit while on the ice though.
Transitioning to the skates forward pitch was not difficult though the different stance was noticeable. It feels unusual while thinking about it during warm up, but once the puck drops you dont notice. I feel like I can turn much harder and tighter on these skate than my last pair. I would imagine a lot of that is due to being able to dial in a precise fit and not having the sloppy extra space found in most skates. As for being able to skate any faster...maybe slightly, but no extreme difference.
Bottom line...I would definitely buy these again. The comfortable fit alone is worth it. There was zero break in time, and I no longer suffer from foot pain during and after games. Many people question the durability of these skates. I have no reason to believe they wont hold up (I do take care of my equipment though unlike a lot of others). They are priced high but no higher then other top tier skates and less then the APX2's that just dropped. I plan to use these skates for many years getting my money out of them.

so the two closest LHS only have mission skate baking ovens at the shop. Is this sufficient? I mean it's just an oven right? Or should i travel an extra distance to go with the Bauer oven?

I feel like i should just throw these in my damn oven but i've heard people say go with the actual skate baking ones.

I've used a skate oven at a LHS and a home oven. To be safe, I did 6 min/side in my home oven vs 8 min/side at the LHS. The skates at the LHS were obviously a good bit warmer, but there wasn't much of a difference.

so the two closest LHS only have mission skate baking ovens at the shop. Is this sufficient? I mean it's just an oven right? Or should i travel an extra distance to go with the Bauer oven?

I feel like i should just throw these in my damn oven but i've heard people say go with the actual skate baking ones.

You can do it at home without any issues. Just follow the instructions on the box if you are unsure. I followed the MLX instructions which coincided with the instructions the rep gave me when I got them: 200 degrees, 16 total minutes, 8 minutes per side of the skate (meaning you flip them half way through).

Same as some of the others, I had mine baked in the shop when I got them. After I skated a couple times, I need to rebake and did it at home just like in the MLX video. Then did some spot fixes after that. The home oven bake was as good or better than the shop.

Caveat: I stuck to the total time on the Easton box. 10 min total.

Edited by smcgreg

I feel like i'm asking 100 questions...

What's the lacing pattern i see on the mlx video? is the skate laced outside in the whole time or do they switch every eye lit from outside in to inside out ?

Is there anybody know the story about molding time?

These ones (like my own Makos) has on box this instruction - 10 min at 92c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Stock-Easton-Mako-Skates-8-5-D-/190830083259?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6e5bfcbb

But these ones want 16 min at the same temperature:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Easton-Mako-Skates-Size-8-5-D-New-In-Box-/171030103156?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d2304474

What is the difference?! They are have a same size!

Is there any ideas?

Edited by Furyan

Is there anybody know the story about molding time?

These ones (like my own Makos) has on box this instruction - 10 min at 92c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Stock-Easton-Mako-Skates-8-5-D-/190830083259?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6e5bfcbb

But these ones want 16 min at the same temperature:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Easton-Mako-Skates-Size-8-5-D-New-In-Box-/171030103156?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d2304474

What is the difference?! They are have a same size!

Is there any ideas?

Read up top, people have discussed this.

I just baked mine at home. I decided to go between the 10min suggested by Easton and the 16min suggested by MLX and other people in this forum. They came out pretty warm and molded incredibly to my foot. Now they're in the freezer for 20min.

Gotta say i'm really pleased with the baking process. Everything people have said here in this thread is spot on. They come out literally like jellow and soft in the inside.

Can't wait to see what they're like on the ice.

Read up top, people have discussed this.

I just baked mine at home. I decided to go between the 10min suggested by Easton and the 16min suggested by MLX and other people in this forum. They came out pretty warm and molded incredibly to my foot. Now they're in the freezer for 20min.

Gotta say i'm really pleased with the baking process. Everything people have said here in this thread is spot on. They come out literally like jellow and soft in the inside.

Can't wait to see what they're like on the ice.

Agreed 16 mins...8 min per skate flip each skate at the 4 minute mark and you will be fine :)