Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

39 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

You actually might need a 7D. Can you try them on? 

Unfortunately no I won't be able to try them on.

Interesting.  I've read that the mako line runs narrower then the super tacks, but it would seem the difference is in the length as opposed to the width. 

I will start searching for a 7D.

Edited by CaptainCharisma

13 hours ago, CaptainCharisma said:

Unfortunately no I won't be able to try them on.

Interesting.  I've read that the mako line runs narrower then the super tacks, but it would seem the difference is in the length as opposed to the width. 

I will start searching for a 7D.

The Mako does run narrow but is also very heat moldable so it can allow for some extra width when its baked. The main thing I noticed in the Mako was it fit a little smaller in length than most other skates. 

39 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

The Mako does run narrow but is also very heat moldable so it can allow for some extra width when its baked. The main thing I noticed in the Mako was it fit a little smaller in length than most other skates. 

Ahh I see.

I've also just read that the original CCM super tacks fits a half size smaller in compared to its successors (I.E.  CCM super tacks 6.5 = CCM super tacks AS1 6.0).  With that in mind, would you still recommend a 7D or a 6.5D for a guy wearing 6.5 D original Super tacks.  

I never found length to be an issue.  I was comfortable in size 5 Makos coming from Vapor EE and Graf W in a 5.  I tried both D and EE,  Was able to get a decent fit with both.  So they are very reactive to heat.  Couldn't get my foot in the D without heating it.  D was a bit tight in a few spots.  EEs were maybe a bit wide, but did create a nice wrap.  My issue unfortunately with the Makos, is the heel.  Too wide for me and not really moldable where I needed it due to the carbon lower portion of the boot.  If I had been able to solve that problem, I'd probably be using them now.   

10 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Not to be argumentative, but I've been in Makos since they came out.  I went from Supreme 7/7.5 to 6.5 in Mako.  So, I don't think it's generaizable that you should move up in size in Makos.  Maybe in CCM, I don't know about them though.

Just wanted to make sure the OP didn't think he should just move up a size without investigating further.  Sorry if I confuse the issue though.

As far as the width goes, my feet are like sausages in my D widths, but because they're so moldable, they're still comfy.  If I put on a Supreme D width, I'm friggin miserable.  The width is very forgiving in the Makos.

• Like 1

Howdy,

10 hours ago, smcgreg said:

Not to be argumentative, but I've been in Makos since they came out.  I went from Supreme 7/7.5 to 6.5 in Mako.  So, I don't think it's generaizable that you should move up in size in Makos.  Maybe in CCM, I don't know about them though.

Just wanted to make sure the OP didn't think he should just move up a size without investigating further.  Sorry if I confuse the issue though.

As far as the width goes, my feet are like sausages in my D widths, but because they're so moldable, they're still comfy.  If I put on a Supreme D width, I'm friggin miserable.  The width is very forgiving in the Makos.

Yeah, agreed on this.  Bauer's scanner told me I should be in a 7.5EE Supreme and I wear a Mako 8 in 7.5D comfortably.  I assume this is because they turn into playdough when hot, so they deal with the extra width well.

I've never tried the EE Mako.  Maybe that's even better somehow?  

Mark

5 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Yeah, agreed on this.  Bauer's scanner told me I should be in a 7.5EE Supreme and I wear a Mako 8 in 7.5D comfortably.  I assume this is because they turn into playdough when hot, so they deal with the extra width well.

Mark

A EE Mako is extremly wide. 

If you read through the whole thread you will see that some people go down a half size, some go up a half size and the majority use the same size Mako vs. Bauer or CCM. Nothing will replicate trying them on and baking them. We can only relay our personal experiences.

I wear an 8EE Mako and baked an 8D to see if it would expand enough for my forefoot. The 8D was still too tight in the forefoot after baking (it was fine in the mid-foot and heel). I tried on an 8EE Supertacks (did not bake them) and they were too tight in the forefoot and my toes weren't brushing the cap like they do in Makos (the heel was locked and I measure an 8 on the CCM Brannock though. It felt like they were just a touch longer than Makos though). I demoed Supremes back in the TotalOne days and 7.5EE fit lengthwise, but I had a bit of heel lift. I haven't tried new Supremes.

Based on my experiences, I think someone who takes a D width Supertacks would want a D width Mako. The only D width skate that would translate into a EE Mako would be a Nexus (which has more than enough room in the forefoot for me, but is sloppy in the heel). As for length, if your feet are right up against the cap in Supertacks, then going up a half size in Makos probably makes sense, but if you're a bit off the cap in Supertacks, stick with the same size.

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Mark

If you fit in D width Makos comfortably then there would be no benefit in going to EE. You want your skates to be as tight as possible without pain. If you went wider you could end up with unnecessary negative space, losing energy transfer and possibly having heel lift. If the D's were painfully narrow somewhere after baking, like they were for me, then you would want to go to EE. 

• Like 1

All this talk about sizing made me start to think......in a recent video the CCM product manager (Fred) said that they consider a 2mm variance as acceptable in their production.  Now, I'm assuming that would be +/-, which means that one pair labelled as 7.5 could actually be 7.25, while another could be 7.75.  That's as much as a half size difference in skates labelled as the same size.

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that Easton had similar manufacturing tolerances?

2 minutes ago, boo10 said:

All this talk about sizing made me start to think......in a recent video the CCM product manager (Fred) said that they consider a 2mm variance as acceptable in their production.  Now, I'm assuming that would be +/-, which means that one pair labelled as 7.5 could actually be 7.25, while another could be 7.75.  That's as much as a half size difference in skates labelled as the same size.

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that Easton had similar manufacturing tolerances?

I think a 7.5 would likely be a 7.4/7.5/7.6 as going down a full 0.25 is fairly significant. 

2mm = 0.079 inches 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

8 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I think a 7.5 would likely be a 7.4/7.5/7.6 as going down a full 0.25 is fairly significant. 

2mm = 0.079 inches 

All the sizing charts I've seen show a 4mm difference between half sizes.  From that I assumed that 2mm is equivalent to 1/4 size.  Is my math off in some way?

Below is the video link.  It's at the 6:35 mark where he's talking about Crosby being able to tell if his skate length is off by 1mm.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DtjjyiwHzwO8&ved=2ahUKEwjX0PHe4-bqAhVHTd8KHfN-AFQQo7QBMAF6BAgCEAE&usg=AOvVaw05E48_s7bfpDnf2kC14k9m

2 hours ago, althoma1 said:

If you read through the whole thread you will see that some people go down a half size, some go up a half size and the majority use the same size Mako vs. Bauer or CCM. Nothing will replicate trying them on and baking them. We can only relay our personal experiences.

I wear an 8EE Mako and baked an 8D to see if it would expand enough for my forefoot. The 8D was still too tight in the forefoot after baking (it was fine in the mid-foot and heel). I tried on an 8EE Supertacks (did not bake them) and they were too tight in the forefoot and my toes weren't brushing the cap like they do in Makos (the heel was locked and I measure an 8 on the CCM Brannock though. It felt like they were just a touch longer than Makos though). I demoed Supremes back in the TotalOne days and 7.5EE fit lengthwise, but I had a bit of heal lift. I haven't tried new Supremes.

Based on my experiences, I think someone who takes a D width Supertacks would want a D width Mako. The only D width skate that would translate into a EE Mako would be a Nexus (which has more than enough room in the forefoot for me, but is sloppy in the heel). As for length, if your feet are right up against the cap in Supertacks, then going up a half size in Makos probably makes sense, but if you're a bit off the cap in Supertacks, stick with the same size.

Why would somebody need to read the whole thread with a nice synopsis like that 😉  Well done!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, boo10 said:

All the sizing charts I've seen show a 4mm difference between half sizes.  From that I assumed that 2mm is equivalent to 1/4 size.  Is my math off in some way?

Below is the video link.  It's at the 6:35 mark where he's talking about Crosby being able to tell if his skate length is off by 1mm.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DtjjyiwHzwO8&ved=2ahUKEwjX0PHe4-bqAhVHTd8KHfN-AFQQo7QBMAF6BAgCEAE&usg=AOvVaw05E48_s7bfpDnf2kC14k9m

If you're used to having your toes brush up against the toe box you'll notice for sure if it's 1mm too big or too small. If your toes never touch the toe box, then it'll obviously be harder to notice a 1mm difference if bigger. For me I'd totally notice it because my toes brush. 1mm smaller and it would feel pressed. And 1mm larger there won't be any contact. 

Edited by Sniper9

Ok, well my 3rd pair of Makos is starting to come apart at the quarter package seam and I can't seem to find another pair in my size. The flexible tendon guard is easily my favorite feature... has anyone explored the option of adapting a Mako-style tendon guard to another skate? 

36 minutes ago, Stanello said:

Ok, well my 3rd pair of Makos is starting to come apart at the quarter package seam and I can't seem to find another pair in my size. The flexible tendon guard is easily my favorite feature... has anyone explored the option of adapting a Mako-style tendon guard to another skate? 

The new Ultrasonic tendon is very similar in flexibility to a Mako. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Stanello said:

has anyone explored the option of adapting a Mako-style tendon guard to another skate? 

I see waaaay too many people “adapt” their tendon guard by using it to pull on and off their skate and break it, making it flexible. 🙄😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, start_today said:

I see waaaay too many people “adapt” their tendon guard by using it to pull on and off their skate and break it, making it flexible. 🙄😂

They're just way ahead of the curve.

10 hours ago, start_today said:

Cuzt0m m0dz. Pro only option, like the clarino liners

Has anyone ever swapped the tongue in mako’s?  I like shins under tongue with a flop.  I have extra Graf tongues or I was thinking about some snipers. Just not sure if they would be too bulky in the mako boot 

Tongues have a lot to do with the feel of the boot, especially forward flex and balancing over the blade. If you’re not unhappy with that aspect of the Mako tongue I’d first try to add extra felt to the existing tongue to provide the flop you want without messing with other factors that are more integral to skating rather than purely or primarily cosmetic.

It’s not so much cosmetic as I’ve become accustomed to the thick Graf tongues. I really like the feel of them and you don’t get that nice cushiony feel around the ankle with the mako tongue