Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jacob309

Shin Guards that won't make my legs look like tree trunks?

So after almost 10 years of not playing hockey, I decided it's about time to get back into it. Haven't played since graduating high school in 2006. And back then, the pads I was using were already 10 years old. So the pads I had are almost two decades old. I went out and purchased all new gear, and wow, the technology and pads in hockey have definitely changed! Anyway, I'm a pretty shallow, vain, and self conscious. Looks play a lot into things for me.

Here's me in high school :

hVIabKZ.png

mFwr6su.png

I liked the way I looked. But, since then, I've gained a bit of weight. The pads I used to have do not fit any longer, and I would't want to use them anyway. I like most of the gear I've purchased recently...except the shin guards. They are huge! And make my legs look deformed.

Here's my calf :

jrQdcnw.png

With the pad :

jd5ptuW.png

Sock :

MQdiWdD.png

With pants & skates :

OgKsson.png

And compared :

e6rLUix.png

I just feel like that can't be right. These are the second pair of shin guards I've purchased. First were Bauer Nexus 4000, then I got the current Bauer Vapor x60, because the Vapor line is supposed to be tapered.

Are there any shin guards now that won't make my legs look like miniaturized dwarf legs? I mean, I am a pretty short dude, but as you can tell in high school I didn't look so weird and stocky. Maybe my pants are too big/long as well? Just everything looks so odd, and feels uncomfortable.

Thanks for any help!

If you tape the calf guard with clear tape or use shin tights that'll help. A lot of the bulky look just seems to be a result of the calf wrap sticking out because the small elastic straps don't pull them in.

If that doesn't work well enough for you and you decide to look at new shins that are more svelt the CCM RBZ line is worth a look.

Well, clearly you are looking at the wrong pictures for how shin pads look. If anything yours are not big enough.

These are what you should be aiming for:

LudwigDal.jpg

But seriously. If they feel good leave them be. They look fine.

Besides the look, are they comfortable? Do they fit? Do you feel you are protected? Hard to tell from my phone but looks like your the length of your pants is fine.

Don't buy protective based on how it looks. Protect yourself and go out and have fun.

Besides the look, are they comfortable? Do they fit? Do you feel you are protected? Hard to tell from my phone but looks like your the length of your pants is fine.

Don't buy protective based on how it looks. Protect yourself and go out and have fun.

They feel big. They feel, even though the straps are as tight as can be, like they are going to slide down/fall off at any moment. And that's just walking around the house. I can only imagine it would be worse out on the ice.

I'm only 5'4"-5'5". The 12" shin guards felt the best at the store, but the sales employee kept urging me to buy the 13" senior ones. I think he might have just been trying to get more money out of me since junior pads are cheaper than senior.

They feel big. They feel, even though the straps are as tight as can be, like they are going to slide down/fall off at any moment. And that's just walking around the house. I can only imagine it would be worse out on the ice.

I'm only 5'4"-5'5". The 12" shin guards felt the best at the store, but the sales employee kept urging me to buy the 13" senior ones. I think he might have just been trying to get more money out of me since junior pads are cheaper than senior.

Dont judge fit by what they feel like walking around the house, that's not what they were designed for. For the sake of your own legs, don't tighten the straps to the point where they are as tight as can be. You'll be miserable on the ice.

The sales person was right, you should be in senior pads. Senior pads will be wider which will cause your leg to sit deeper in the pad and have more wrap in the calf, all which will make it look less bulky and give you the protection you need. If you're worried about cost, drop down to a lower model senior pad. A low end pad that fits properly will offer better protection than a top of the line pad that doesn't fit.

Jacob,

Look at shins and the strap system they use. My Son has basically played Bauer his 6 year hockey career becuase of the fit and the strap system. One year I made him play an older system set-up, but the shins where new.

Look at the strap system on the supremes line. The have like a 2" wide elastic strap that wraps at the calf.

Me Myself...I play 15" ccm V08 and use aftermarket velcro straps. One they are one...they are snug enough to hold and then the skate keeps it from dropping any lower.

Straps should be one of the last considerations when it comes to shin pads. If they sit well on your legs and provide the desired protection and mobility then you can adapt the straps to your needs or do as myself and many others do and simply cut off the straps.

:facepalm: As someone in sales, do us all a favor and Google the definition of 'profit margin' please.

Just buy some low end shins that have thinner padding and less of it. Most high end shins will have lots of padding, and will look bulky, if you don't want to look bulky just buy lower end thinner pads. You'll lose protection but you'll look slimmer.

I'm 5'6"-5'7" and I wear 13" RBZ130 shins because I prefer the feel of slimmer shins as the CCM ones usually are. And the CCM junior shins go up to 13"!

I guess wrapping some tape around the middle of your shin/calf between the straps will "fix" the bulky look

My thoughts exactly.

Found this with a quick google search, hope it helps.

My thoughts exactly.

Found this with a quick google search, hope it helps.

I did try taping it down, which only held down the center. Above & below the tape, the calf padding was still protruding and looked even stranger than before.

Is there also one on how to put my skates on the correct feet?

I mean, if I want to continue the trend of stupid questions...I can't figure out how to tuck the tongue under the shin guard (as Reddit had told me to do).

I did try taping it down, which only held down the center. Above & below the tape, the calf padding was still protruding and looked even stranger than before.

I mean, if I want to continue the trend of stupid questions...I can't figure out how to tuck the tongue under the shin guard (as Reddit had told me to do).

Seriously?

Just put skates and socks on before the shins.

The bulky look that come with newer shins can all be blaimed on Jofa. Cause they were miles ahead of other brands protection wise (not looks) and allmost every pro level player used them (still do). Now, every brand build their shins with similar tech just to be able to compete protection wise and make money. Cause everybody want the same gear as the pros use.

And, the calf protection sticks out way because it does not wrap around your calf.. If you had gone with a higher end shin pad such as Vapor apx2 or x100 the calf protection would have wrapped around, and apeared slimmer..

Pants are to long also..

Seriously?

Just put skates and socks on before the shins.

I was halfway joking about that. I'm able to tuck them under, but it isn't the easiest thing. I can't put my socks on before the skates, because I have huge thighs and can't pull the socks up that high. (Used to be muscular from riding my bike everywhere, then became lazy and got fat on top of it). Plus, the ankle opening of the socks doesn't get wide enough to pull down over the knee portion of the shin guard from above.

I was halfway joking about that. I'm able to tuck them under, but it isn't the easiest thing. I can't put my socks on before the skates, because I have huge thighs and can't pull the socks up that high. (Used to be muscular from riding my bike everywhere, then became lazy and got fat on top of it). Plus, the ankle opening of the socks doesn't get wide enough to pull down over the knee portion of the shin guard from above.

Put your socks on. Put your skates on. Pull the socks down to your ankle. Put your shin guard on. Pull up the sock over the shin guard. Tape socks.