Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oldtrainerguy28

Step Steel Holder

On 10/24/2016 at 1:25 AM, JR Boucicaut said:

I still don't think it's going to matter. 

We thought that people would want to revert to LS2 when Edge came out so that they can keep Step. That didn't happen. 

I highly doubt many people will want to switch to a completely new holder at this point. 

You can highly doubt it all you want. However, if it is a better system with better steel you know trainers will flock back to it. If it is A. a better quality and B. easier to sharpen. I have yet to meet an NHL trainer who LOVES Bauer Steel quality. 

34 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

I'm talking about the retail market. 

But if we go look at pro, why did so many EQMs switch to Edge?  They could've stayed on LS2. 

I would guess the obvious the obvious answer is ease of use and speed replacement?

Here is Tydan thread. So I don't know that we can continue talking about Step or its new holders though...

Now I have still been using LS2 holders on my skates. But already bought LSE and Quikblade holders too.
I have not replaced from LS2 to such these quick changeable holders yet though, I considered them with Graf's holder when I purchased.
LSE and Quikblade have trigger. Then especially Quikblade can replace runners and attach new steel by myself very easily. But generally it is said that such trigger type holders and runners often cause clicking problem. Or if make countermeasure for that, it will be very tight so hard to attach. I think this is the biggest reason why LSE holder is thought as annoy.

So I considered Graf holder. The holder can be reached from out side of the boots. The pulling system is not different from normal holders like LS2 or others. If we can do exchange quickly, the system is not bad.
But I hared that Graf holder often crack, and also I felt that maybe I can't replace it in a bench by myself only wearing all protectors. And also, the sales is so bad and finally no answering from them!

So my thinking, this Step's Graf like holder have something better gimmick to help quickly exchange work, there is a value to try it. Of course I'm not NHLer though!

2 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

No just teamed up on making a better holder and runner combo

Better how? May I ask? :unsure:

Better steel obviously, but do you have anymore details on the release mechanism, holder pitch and feel (that you are allowed to share)?  

I am not up to date with any new holder, but I have it from good sources that the quick change LightSpeed holder tends to get "sloppy" after the blade has been I and out numerous times  and it was. better to get the older Bauer  holder to avoid this problem.

alan

45 minutes ago, smu said:

I am not up to date with any new holder, but I have it from good sources that the quick change LightSpeed holder tends to get "sloppy" after the blade has been I and out numerous times  and it was. better to get the older Bauer  holder to avoid this problem.

alan

Stories like this are why I decided on LS2 holders instead of LS Edge. As a beer leaguer I've never had an urgent need to replace a blade during a game. So I have no reason to put up with the flaws of the Edge.

1 hour ago, Larry54 said:

Stories like this are why I decided on LS2 holders instead of LS Edge. As a beer leaguer I've never had an urgent need to replace a blade during a game. So I have no reason to put up with the flaws of the Edge.

That's I'll be doing along with StepSteel when I can afford them.

Alan

10 hours ago, malcb33 said:

Better how? May I ask? :unsure:

Better steel obviously, but do you have anymore details on the release mechanism, holder pitch and feel (that you are allowed to share)?  

It has a screw similar to an LS2 but comes out of the back of the holder . the screw itself is embedded into the blade so you cant lose it. a small rechargeable driver with the 8mm socket gets the blade off and on as fast as a trigger edge. deeper channel for no play like in the Edge holder .  

On 10/26/2016 at 5:16 AM, Mimizk said:

But I hared that Graf holder often crack... 

Where did you hear this? Graf holders are very tough and probably the most ridgid. The runner retainer nut is known to get loose and cause clucking of the runner, but that could be easily fixed. The new Step holder however fixed the problem using the nylock  (it seems). Another diff, could be pitch. It would be smart for Step to match Bauer hole pattern and pitch and make the holder 4mm higher to match the CCMs +4 claim.

15 hours ago, Larry54 said:

But the VAST majority of the marketplace doesn't do the switch, and LS Edge works for them.  

Do some get replaced?  Yes.  But by and large, the holder has been a success.

22 hours ago, smu said:

alan

It's not just the blade going in and out that causes issues, This year in particular I have seen a lot of boots flop when put in the sharpener and the blade has never been out of the holder. Over time it appears that the plastic gives a little and therefore movement happens. Judicious use of tape on the blade helps to firm it up again but at the end of the day a replacement holder is the only answer. Did Bauer make changes in production for later releases, I don't know but if I'm having to replace my holder and Step have one on the market then I would definitely consider it.

18 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

It has a screw similar to an LS2 but comes out of the back of the holder . the screw itself is embedded into the blade so you cant lose it. a small rechargeable driver with the 8mm socket gets the blade off and on as fast as a trigger edge. deeper channel for no play like in the Edge holder .  

Will this holder have its own steel that fits it or will it be compatible with something already existing like the LS or their new version of the Edge or even the Cobra given it has a similar attachment system?

8 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

But the VAST majority of the marketplace doesn't do the switch, and LS Edge works for them.  

Do some get replaced?  Yes.  But by and large, the holder has been a success.

Well I didn't make any switch. When I ordered my VH skates, I chose the LS2 over the LS Edge. If I had bought skates that came with Edge I probably would not have bothered switching to LS2, but given the choice from the get go, going with the LS2 was just logical.

50 minutes ago, nicker87 said:

Will this holder have its own steel that fits it or will it be compatible with something already existing like the LS or their new version of the Edge or even the Cobra given it has a similar attachment system?

the new holder will accept holder specific steel. 

2 hours ago, nicker87 said:

Custom Step Steel .  

On 10/25/2016 at 9:40 PM, oldtrainerguy28 said:

You can highly doubt it all you want. However, if it is a better system with better steel you know trainers will flock back to it. If it is A. a better quality and B. easier to sharpen. I have yet to meet an NHL trainer who LOVES Bauer Steel quality. 

Won't catch on in the general market, pros are another story. STEP makes great steel but few are going to pay $100 to swap out holders perhaps when Bauer steel was real crap, at least now it's better and doesnt break on a whim.