Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oldtrainerguy28

Step Steel Holder

23 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

I thought Pacioretty plays for Canadian team...

Obviously he does, but JR is saying that it's not about that. The steel says sale forbidden in the USA only.

The NHL teams are buying the steel for use.  They're not retailers, looking to buy the steel to sell to consumers.

It's not as if Step meets them in an alley behind the Bell Centre and takes straight cash from each American NHL team's EQM when they play Montreal.

Howdy,

39 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

The NHL teams are buying the steel for use.  They're not retailers, looking to buy the steel to sell to consumers.

It's not as if Step meets them in an alley behind the Bell Centre and takes straight cash from each American NHL team's EQM when they play Montreal.

Does that really matter?

My impression was that buying knock off products from foreign manufacturers wasn't ok, regardless of whether or not you resold the stuff.

But I'm very much not a patent attorney.

Mark

1 hour ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Does that really matter?

My impression was that buying knock off products from foreign manufacturers wasn't ok, regardless of whether or not you resold the stuff.

But I'm very much not a patent attorney.

Mark

I would agree with this. No sale in USA means no sale in USA. Does not matter if you sell it to NHL or Joe the plumber. Now, Canadian team such as the one Pacioretty plays for, can buy this steel all day long. Or anyone travels to Canada, can buy it while in Canada. You would not need to meet anyone in the alley if you can pick it up from the store. You can also, call to Step from USA, buy it with a credit card, then have it shipped to the hotel in Canada you will be staying in. I travel quite a bit for work and I have ordered things to  be delivered to the hotel prier to be checked in to it. Step can also ship it to USA as long as they did not get any money in return, but this is a gray area now. If Bauer really desperate, they can hold Step in violation if it can be shown that Step has profited in any way from sending their edge product to USA for "free". 

The restriction only affects retail sales in the US market. NHL teams, as well as individual consumers can buy the steel and get it shipped from Canada.

Howdy,

42 minutes ago, JSK81 said:

The restriction only affects retail sales in the US market. NHL teams, as well as individual consumers can buy the steel and get it shipped from Canada.

It's that part I don't understand.  I'd have thought customs would work to enforce US patents.  But again, not a patent attorney / whatever.

Otherwise, why isn't Canada (or China) filled with retail establishments that target US customers for knock off goods?  I mean, that exists certainly, but I always thought it was one of those "that's illegal, but not worth prosecuting / suing over" things?

Mark

It's not a knock off product, the patent just isn't global.

For example, RamonEdge makes Edge compatible steel in Finland.

1 hour ago, Kgbeast said:

I would agree with this. No sale in USA means no sale in USA. Does not matter if you sell it to NHL or Joe the plumber. Now, Canadian team such as the one Pacioretty plays for, can buy this steel all day long. Or anyone travels to Canada, can buy it while in Canada. You would not need to meet anyone in the alley if you can pick it up from the store. You can also, call to Step from USA, buy it with a credit card, then have it shipped to the hotel in Canada you will be staying in. I travel quite a bit for work and I have ordered things to  be delivered to the hotel prier to be checked in to it. Step can also ship it to USA as long as they did not get any money in return, but this is a gray area now. If Bauer really desperate, they can hold Step in violation if it can be shown that Step has profited in any way from sending their edge product to USA for "free". 

You could also use a mail forwarding service in Canada.  You would pay additional.  There's a cost to set up an account and then a cost for every package or mail you have forwarded. 

Basically youre paying to have a Canadian address and then have it re shipped. 

Guys, you're mixing up manufacturer's restricted shipping policy and patent rights.

Unless Step tells Canadian shops not to ship product outside Canada, US consumers can order it since the sales happens in Canada. The patent only prevents anyone from manufacturing and selling compatible steel inside the US.

2 hours ago, JSK81 said:

Unless Step tells Canadian shops not to ship product outside Canada, US consumers can order it since the sales happens in Canada. The patent only prevents anyone from manufacturing and selling compatible steel inside the US.

Okay, that finally makes sense.

On 14/11/2016 at 2:16 PM, JSK81 said:

Guys, you're mixing up manufacturer's restricted shipping policy and patent rights.

I think you are partially right.

I know for sure Step will not sell directly to the US and will tell their retailers not to sell to the US. As for blades being sold from the US. I'm not sure Step has much control over that.... I might be wrong though... I guess my question would be, is anyone allowed to sell from the US, and if no, why not?

10 hours ago, SirJW said:

This article is over three years old.

Yeahh....  I'm pretty sure the rule focuses on the distance between the ice and the pad. There are ways around it...

On 11/14/2016 at 10:37 AM, JR Boucicaut said:

Been behind Bell Centre. Can confirm no meetings between Step and American EQMS.

On 11/14/2016 at 3:34 PM, JSK81 said:

It's not a knock off product, the patent just isn't global.

For example, RamonEdge makes Edge compatible steel in Finland.

Massiveblade is also making Edge compatible steel. They have 3 dealers in Canada and one in the U,S. I'm not sure if you can get the Edge compatible steel via the U.S. dealer or not:

http://massiveblade.com/dealer/

colins

After talking directly with Step, they WILL NOT ship to US even if purchased directly from them. They can't stop people from crossing the boarder and buying it, but they said they will NOT ship to US even if purchased directly from them. This is where I think it makes it easier for Canadian retailers to ship to US rather than Step itself, however, it will be totally up to the company that is purchasing from Step to decide on weather or not they want to ship it to the US. I'm guessing most, if not all, will not ship to the US.

Does anybody know of a Canadian h.s. that sells the step steel for the lightspeed edge holder in/near Vancouver area? I got a friend in Seattle that would go get it if I can find it but won't go on wild goose chase.  I can't even find it on line from any C.H.S. .

thanks

9 hours ago, Dman692420 said:

Does anybody know of a Canadian h.s. that sells the step steel for the lightspeed edge holder in/near Vancouver area? I got a friend in Seattle that would go get it if I can find it but won't go on wild goose chase.  I can't even find it on line from any C.H.S. .

thanks

I had to call a few different place in Windsor to find it and actually I called Step directly first to find out if they could give me a list of places in the area that had purchased from them. I would call them first and tell them you're looking for it and would like to know if they could give you some names of businesses that are selling it. Then you can call those places and see what the wait time is. Depending on where you are, I might be inclined to help you out. DM if you want to chat about it.

I've been emailing Step directly & all they say is tell Bauer & we make it & sell it everywhere else but USA. I will try to be more specific in next email to them. Thanks darkhors let me see what more I can find out & thanks for the offer I'll keep it in mind.

44 minutes ago, darkhors said:

I had to call a few different place in Windsor to find it and actually I called Step directly first to find out if they could give me a list of places in the area that had purchased from them. I would call them first and tell them you're looking for it and would like to know if they could give you some names of businesses that are selling it. Then you can call those places and see what the wait time is. Depending on where you are, I might be inclined to help you out. DM if you want to chat about it.

I've been emailing Step directly & all they say is tell Bauer & we make it & sell it everywhere else but USA. I will try to be more specific in next email to them. Thanks darkhors let me see what more I can find out & thanks for the offer I'll keep it in mind.

On 11/18/2016 at 11:04 AM, ACE 22 QC said:

I think you are partially right.

I know for sure Step will not sell directly to the US and will tell their retailers not to sell to the US. As for blades being sold from the US. I'm not sure Step has much control over that.... I might be wrong though... I guess my question would be, is anyone allowed to sell from the US, and if no, why not?

In the US Step doesn't have retailers, it has wholesale distributors who then resell to retailers.  As a retailer I have no direct account or agreement with STEP whatsoever. Once I get the steel, I can do anything I want with it, so I assume if a Canadian retailer is buying his steel too from a Canadian Step wholesaler (Like NASH Sports), they really are legally free to sell and ship wherever they please.

Does anybody know if Bauer is now or starting to let step steel sell the steel for the edge holder now? I have seen it all over eBay for sale now & shipping to USA. I bought some & have recieved shipping confirmation from the shop, worst case they cancel my order.

I'm in the US and I just bought a pair from a Canadian retailer. Even big chains, like Source for Sports, will gladly ship them here. The whole  policy just makes Bauer look petty.