Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BMcDonald19

Bauer 3D Scan

"What feels best" is often, if the skater has no clue, about as useless as tits on a bull. It feels best because it doesn't hurt - this generally translates into skates that are sometimes up to 2 sizes too big. Classic example, you have dropped one size on your left foot so what went wrong with your first fitting? 

If the scanner is run by someone who knows what they are doing (eg like JR) then its going to give a damn good starting point. If you think you are 1 to 2 sizes bigger than it suggests then you need to really think hard why.

13 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I wonder what it would suggest for me since I’ve worn all three lines with no success.

I know you didn't ask this, but my understanding is the scan is going to give you what Bauer thinks is the best for your foot shape compared to their 3 lines.  However (and I know you know this) what Bauer suggest within their 3 lines may still not be the right skate choice for you in general. 

15 hours ago, JoeyJ0506 said:

They do, and they mangle the ice surface for the rest of us when they have 30+ skaters practicing and getting "bag skated".

Sorry, angry old guy part of me took over for a second there.

Haha well a decent Zamboni driver would be able to help the ice recover quicker, no? But I feel you. I'd like to see the new home some day.  Future SummerJam location!?

On 9/29/2017 at 4:49 PM, BMcDonald19 said:

I recently tried out the Bauer 3D foot scan. I was told that I was a 5.5EE. 

My question is, is that ONLY for the current Gen skates? Would I be a 5.5 in the Vapor 1X from a few seasons ago?

Also would the width on a 6 EE skate be the same as the width on a 5.5 EE skate?

Width would be a bit wider. Much like going up in street shoe size. a 6 D to a 6.5 D shoe would be wider.

4 hours ago, strosedefence34 said:

I know you didn't ask this, but my understanding is the scan is going to give you what Bauer thinks is the best for your foot shape compared to their 3 lines.  However (and I know you know this) what Bauer suggest within their 3 lines may still not be the right skate choice for you in general. 

Exactly. I'm just curious what it would come up with. 

When JR put me on the machine, it’s analysis/measurement of my weird ass feet was spot on.  However, the skate recommendation can only do so much.

it recommended that I should be in the nexus line.  I see where it would say that as  the vapor or supreme OFF THE SHELF in my length would be miserable for me in the forefoot.  However, I have tried on Nexus skates, and they entirely too roomy in the heel for me... and my left foot is even worse.  Bottom line, the machine can do its best, but it wasn’t programmed to say ‘homie, your feet are bullshit, look elsewhere’. 

I 100% see it’s value in custom skates, but it can only do so much with people who don’t have relatively normal and symmetrical feet.  The machine isn’t flawed... but the human body often is.  

I tried this recently.  Suggested Bauer nexus size 5.5 D

my sneaker size is 8, shoe size is 8.5. I’m currentky in first generation jetspeed size 6.  I wore makos for 2 years so maybe that’s why I prefer the closer fit.  

http://www.icewarehouse.com/lc/icehockeyskatesizing.html

Using the IW foot tracing method above they put me in a tacks/jetspeed/supreme.

i think the jetspeed fit me well except in the instep area.  Could use more volume.  The eyelets don’t wrap around the top of my foot.  Just a visual thing cuz no lacebite and my feet feel fine.

5 hours ago, mjpisat said:

I tried this recently.  Suggested Bauer nexus size 5.5 D

my sneaker size is 8, shoe size is 8.5. I’m currentky in first generation jetspeed size 6.  I wore makos for 2 years so maybe that’s why I prefer the closer fit.  

http://www.icewarehouse.com/lc/icehockeyskatesizing.html

Using the IW foot tracing method above they put me in a tacks/jetspeed/supreme.

i think the jetspeed fit me well except in the instep area.  Could use more volume.  The eyelets don’t wrap around the top of my foot.  Just a visual thing cuz no lacebite and my feet feel fine.

What size were you in Makos? Are you in D Jetspeeds or EE? Do your toes brush the caps in the Jetspeeds when standing and did they in the Makos?

Also, were you just standing on the machine or did you bend your knees? I know JR mentioned that bending the knees provides a more accurate result and if you're standing straight up and down it can be a half size off. 

On 1/25/2018 at 11:09 AM, althoma1 said:

What size were you in Makos? Are you in D Jetspeeds or EE? Do your toes brush the caps in the Jetspeeds when standing and did they in the Makos?

Also, were you just standing on the machine or did you bend your knees? I know JR mentioned that bending the knees provides a more accurate result and if you're standing straight up and down it can be a half size off. 

I wore a size six in Makos.  I'm a D in jetspeed.  yes, my toe brushes the cap and makos the same.  I was just standing in the machine.  will try again and bend my knees. 

I wasn't surprised by the sizing as much as they recommended the nexus.  Given that the fit profile of the nexus is way different than jetspeed.  my "problem" area tends to be the instep area.  i have to go up in size to like a 7 or 7.5 in supreme or vapors so my foot isn't above the eyelets but at that size they are too long and big in other areas. 

1 hour ago, mjpisat said:

I wore a size six in Makos.  I'm a D in jetspeed.  yes, my toe brushes the cap and makos the same.  I was just standing in the machine.  will try again and bend my knees. 

I wasn't surprised by the sizing as much as they recommended the nexus.  Given that the fit profile of the nexus is way different than jetspeed.  my "problem" area tends to be the instep area.  i have to go up in size to like a 7 or 7.5 in supreme or vapors so my foot isn't above the eyelets but at that size they are too long and big in other areas. 

Isn't the Nexus the bauer boot with the most instep depth? Would make sense the scanner recommended that if you always had issues with depth in skates. 

I tried some skates today.  A nexus 7 actually wrapped around the top of my foot good but too much in the forefoot.  May try on tacks 6.5-7 in D and EE.

7 hours ago, mjpisat said:

I tried some skates today.  A nexus 7 actually wrapped around the top of my foot good but too much in the forefoot.  May try on tacks 6.5-7 in D and EE.

Sadly your feet sound the same shape as mine, narrow heel (you fit Jetspeeds), high instep (you need Nexus), medium to wide forefoot (that will fit a range of skates). No retail manufacturer currently makes a skate to fit this shape, your only hope is to go custom or try something else to fix the volume issue (lacing pattern, eyelet extenders etc). Your pic shows some positive signs, tongue sits straight and the boot hasn't opened up, this tends to indicate that you don't pronate / supinate.

You should not be buying a bigger boot to solve the volume issue, get the heel lock and length right first then address the volume. 

I mean if I don’t get lace bite should I worry about the volume?  I’m starting to think I may just need a wider skate.  I added another pic in the gallery above that shows laced up.  Does this give an indication if I may need wider?

3 hours ago, mjpisat said:

I mean if I don’t get lace bite should I worry about the volume?  I’m starting to think I may just need a wider skate.  I added another pic in the gallery above that shows laced up.  Does this give an indication if I may need wider?

If you aren’t experiencing any issues (ie lacebite) then I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

Keep in mind, when you go wider the entire skate is wider, unless you go custom.

3 minutes ago, rawkstar said:

I used the bauer 3d scan, it said size 9 vapor... i ended up in size 8.5 jetspeeds lol.

Why is that “lol”?

4 hours ago, mjpisat said:

It really depends on how much you skate, your style (bent knee driving hard against the lace or a more stand up stance) and your lacing pattern / tightness (g tie loose and the chance of lacebite is greatly reduced, crank them up and you are much more at risk). Lace bite isn't a "put the skate on and I got lace bite immediately" kind of thing. It's micro trauma to the tendon that can occur every time you lace up. Balanced against that is the time between skates and how fast you heal. When the damage becomes greater than the healing then the inflammation starts, gradually getting worse over time until one day your tendon will tell you enough is enough. Tongue break down will accelerate the situation.

I dropped half a size from my Vapor to my new JetSpeed. I didn’t use 3D Scan, but that was just going by my own feel. Seems about right to me.

I was in Vapors for about 10 years. The 2015 1X was really killing my feet, so I tried the CCM line, and ended up in 70Ks. Super comfortable. However, as the skates broke in I noticed some "slop," where my forefoot would move a little, and my heel would lift a bit. I tried the 2017 1X, and they were far worse than the 2015 1X in terms of foot pain in my forefoot. Desperate to get something that fit, I went to my LHS and did the Bauer 3D scan and tried on skates in all lines. The scan said I should be in size 8.0D Supremes. I tried them on (1S) and they felt really good. After baking, I could tell it was the right choice. They fit my feet like a glove. My skating has improved across the board... speed, acceleration, agility. I can make quick turns that weren't possible in my 70K. I play D, but when I carry the puck up into the zone I'm blowing by the opposing D. So all in all, I was happy with the 3D scan to help drive me to a skate line which I hadn't really considered.

I was fitted by the 3d machine and while the fit isnt perfect its the best im going to get I think with different size feet , unfortunately one foot is smaller then the other in the heel and slightly shorter. So unless I go custom I get some heel slip in that skate. Shop has mentioned doing the following - using a c-clamp style clamp right after baking to compress the heel in that area? has anyone tried this with success ? afraid to alter the quarter area and have it be to narrow or feel different after but open to anything at this point .

12 hours ago, ChrisS8899 said:

Shop has mentioned doing the following - using a c-clamp style clamp right after baking to compress the heel in that area? has anyone tried this with success ? 

I have done that a number of times, it works ok but over time will open up again and you have to repeat. Ideally it's not a good solution because a bigger skate is bigger in all areas, not just the heel. How different in size are the feet? You could consider buying the smaller size and getting the toe box punched for the bigger foot. Or try Verbero, they will sell you skates in different sizes. I'm assuming customs are out of your price range?

1 hour ago, Vet88 said:

I have done that a number of times, it works ok but over time will open up again and you have to repeat. Ideally it's not a good solution because a bigger skate is bigger in all areas, not just the heel. How different in size are the feet? You could consider buying the smaller size and getting the toe box punched for the bigger foot. Or try Verbero, they will sell you skates in different sizes. I'm assuming customs are out of your price range?

One foot is almost half a size smaller . Have tried most of the bauer skate lines along with smaller sizes etc. I have heard the ccm ft1's have excellent heel lock so im thinking about giving them a shot .As i do have narrow feet/heels the vapor line is my closest fit right now .

if ft1's are on your radar customs should be on your radar especially with that much discrepancy in sizing between your feet